Sunday 24 February 2019

Sunday

Outside the window the sun is shining brightly, there is no breath of wind and a stillness that only happens early in the morning (the one last thing at night  has a totally different air to it).   It is almost nine o'clock but the estate seems to be still fast asleep.

Tess has eaten her five Bonio biscuits.   She is very odd.   I put them on the rug by the sink and she carefully carries each one out into the hall, lays them one by one in a line and then goes out there and eats them.   If I only put four down she will come back to the biscuit cupboard and sit and wait there for the fifth before she starts eating any of them.   There is no accounting for what goes on in a dog's mind.  Cah she count up to five?   Wno knows.   Now she is sitting out in the back garden in the sun.

Today, as all my readers know by now, is our lunching day - The Golf Club (and no, we none of us play golf ) has an extensive menu.   Today I think I shall have prawn salad and chips but am contemplating having a starter because I need to have two courses and I have gone off puddings altogether - some of the starters are to die for.

If anything spectacular happens during the day I may well add to this tonight, but so far today this is all I intend to write.   So enjoy your day too and I hope the weather is a beautiful with you as it is here.  For sure everything here is being apricated well and truly - including me.

If anything it has been warmer than it was yesterday here.   For lunch I had poached salmon with mashed and roast potatoes and plenty of good vegetables.   I just don't feel like eating sweet puds any more so instead of a pud I had a camembert starter for my pud and it was delicious.   Then a lovely pot of tea in the bar afterwards and home again to take Tess for a walk before it got dark.

18 comments:

Jules said...

Following a misty start to the morning the day now looks very promising.
Thank you for your kind words yesterday. After yet another restless night, Lily appears much better this morning. We'll have a short walk in the fields later for some much needed fresh air.
Enjoy your day. X

Rachel Phillips said...

Why don't you put the Bonio in the hall for her? She is probably thinking why doesn't the silly woman put them in the hall.

Heather said...

I love the strange habits our pets have, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tess could count - even if only to five!
We have had some lovely days down here also, and today is no exception. I think we are all making the most of them.
Enjoy your lunch.

the veg artist said...

My cat is one for routines as well. Our favourite is that she will happily sleep in her box in the kitchen while food is prepared and being eaten, but as soon as we start washing up, she jumps out of the box and sits by the door to go into our front room - telly time!
It's a beautiful day here in West Wales as well. Clearing the veg beds today!

Tom Stephenson said...

Magpies can count up to - and maybe beyond - 13, so it wouldn't surprise me if Tess can too. I can understand the ritual of taking them somewhere else to eat them and it's impressive she lines them up rather than chucking them down randomly.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I like the habits and rituals of pets. One of our two cats is more like that than the other. It amuses us daily. I'll bet Tess is bright enough to count to 5, perhaps even beyond, but her limit in dog biscuits is 5. -Jenn

Anonymous said...

My dog has to have the Bonios snapped into two. He will not eat a whole one.

Lynn Marie said...

I am not a person who is usually interested in dogs or their psychology, but I do wonder what Tess would do if you took up Rachel's suggestion and put the biscuits in the hall? On the other hand, perhaps better not to shake up her universe out of idle curiosity.

Hilary said...

Every dinner time, my dog Naya, picks up her bowl, with the food in it, trots out to my studio, and puts it on the rug, and eats her dinner out there....apparently the kitchen does not work for her.

Sue said...

It's like a summer's day here in Lincolnshire.

Joanne Noragon said...

When we had two cairn terriers, so many visitors brought them biscuits. Angus' biscuit always had to be divided in half; he swallowed them whole. In the meantime, Fiona put hers between her paws and waited until he'd gobbled his and she had his attention. Then she spent five or more minutes, delicately nibbling hers until gone. Dogs know what they are doing, every minute.

Ruth said...

Our little mutt Daisy gets two dog biscuits first thing in the morning (after she's been out.) I give her one, and she comes back for the second, so she can only count to two! She carries them out of the kitchen onto the living room carpet, leaving crumbs where they can't easily be swept up with a broom. It's her only vice though, except for her internal clock that somehow got permanently set on daylight savings time. Soon she'll be waking me at a more normal time instead of 4:30 or 5.

Have a great Sunday, Pat!

Sue said...

I love to see and hear about all the individual quirks that pets have. They certainly all have their own personalities. Rituals must be comforting to animals, just as they are to humans!

angryparsnip said...


Watson and thehamish would take the cookies/treats and run into the livingroom and eat them on the expensive rug. They loved fine dining ! I miss them so much.

cheers, parsnip

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - good point - she would definitely agree with you - me? can't be bothered to walk that far early in the morning.
Lynn Marie - she would probably bring them back to where I put them in the first place.

Parsnip I do understand about missing previous pets - somehow, however much youlove a new dog it doesn't take the place of the old one does it?

Bonnie said...

Tess is such a smart girl and she knows that five is just the right number of biscuits for her appetite!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone.

Librarian said...

It has been said that most animals have no problem counting to four. Everything after that is perceived simply as "many". But some, like your Tess, may know five as being more than four. Indeed, who knows what goes on in her mind!
Don't use up all the lovely spring sunshine before my sister and I will be over in 3 1/2 weeks' time :-)