Friday 15 April 2016

Salmon Mousse

I asked friend E this morning if I could put on her Salmon Mousse recipe (which makes a tin of salmon go a long way you may remember) she is delighted to let you all have it.   Do give it a try - all the ingredients are things likely to be in the store cupboard and it really is delicious.

Salmon or Tuna Mousse.

1 200g tin of salmon or tuna.
1 small tin evaporated milk.
gelatine to set one pint.
2 tablespoons warm water
1 tea spoon lemon juice.
2 tablespoons mayonnaise.
1 teaspoon creamed horseradish sauce (optional).

Put the gelatine into the warm water and leave it on a very low heat
to completely dissolve.   Flake fish into a bowl (remove any skin and bones) and add mayo, horseradish and lemon juice.  Whisk up
the evap milk until it is stiff and then gradually add the gelatine and water mixture, stirring carefully.   Stir this into the fish mixture and chill (preferably overnight).   Decorate with cucumber and serve.
E adds a little tomato puree to make the mousse a bit pinker. 

This looks lovely on a buffet table and really does taste very good.
                                     ************
From the ridiculous to the sublime.   My son (made out of words on my side bar) put a clip from u-tube of the funeral of JohnPaul Sartre on to a post the other day.   It is only three minutes long and really is amazing.   I can't think of any modern day philospher who would get this sort of send-off.  (I am ashamed to say that I can't actually think of any modern Philosopher).   They don't make them like Sartre any more do they?  Do have a look if you have three minutes to spare.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Many thanks to you and your friend for the recipe. I think I have a tin of salmon in the larder just waiting to be used.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

CAn't help but see Salmon Mousse, and think of Monthy Python's "Meaning of Life" sketch thus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMBsZC-FJNE

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Yup, I also immediately thought of "It was...the salmon mousse!" from Monty Python's "Meaning of Life". Although I am sure it is very tasty, I just can't take it seriously. -Jenn

angryparsnip said...

Monty Python hahahahahahahahaha

Your friends recipe sounds so good. Thank you and Friend E for thinking of us. I love salmon and tuna and will try this.
Will have to figure what a set pint is though.
You can tell I do not use gelatine.

cheers, parsnip

Rachel Phillips said...

I think I'll just have the tin of salmon and save the evaporated milk to have on my fruit salad later thank you.

Midmarsh John said...

The recipe looks interesting. Yesterday I enjoyed a lovely piece of smoked haddock, something I only recently discovered when Asda made a substitution for my normal plain haddock fillet. The only problem is Penny likes it also and sits in the doorway to the kitchen looking hungry when she can smell it. It was steamed, along with some potatoes in my latest toy, an electric pressure cooker. Fully automatic and much easier and safer to use than my old one where I had to watch the heat to make sure it didn't blow the safety valve.

Rachel Phillips said...

I watched the funeral clip of Jean Paul Sartre. Amazing - something only the French could do, feels very French to see. Sartre was active in political movements to the left and those who turned out for the funeral were the ordinary man who he had always defended. A modern day philosopher who I catch some of when I can is Slavoj Zizek. An interesting man who always has an opinion on everything. He was born in Slovenia but has lived and worked in London and New York I believe.