Monday 4 April 2016

A Day and a Half.

I shall not be sorry when bed time comes tonight - today has been an uphill climb.
 
First of all, the farmer is definitely on the mend and is doing more each day although he tires easily.   But today a positive sign when he said he was bored.   He is itching to be out in the fresh air.

Now to my frustrating day.   Today is the day my cleaner comes and she came downstairs after cleaning the bedrooms and asked if I had seen what was outside.  Immediately opposite our gate was a huge Portakabin with two doors.   Over one was the word 'Canteen' and over the other 'Toilet'.  A large lorry, using a crane, had just deposited it there and it meant that a tractor and trailer, or any piece of farm equipment would be unable to use the gate.   The farmer went out to speak to the driver who said that he had put it exactly where he had been told to put it - and drove away.

Now comes the efficient bit.   I got on the phone immediately to British Gas - the recorded message said to press keys 1 to 7, depending exactly what I wanted.   I pressed two - and numbers 1 to 7 were repeated.   This time I pressed 7.   A pleasant young lady listened to me, took my phone number and said she would ring me back within an hour.   Ten minutes later a man rang, apologised and said there had been a misunderstanding and that he would be there within half an hour.  And half an hour later the Portakabin was moved.   I was most impressed and said so.

After lunch we needed to take some papers to an office in Aske Hall stables, a complex of offices the far side of Richmond.   The farmer does not quite feel up to driving so I had to drive.  At the best of times I never ever drive when the farmer is in the car - it is just like taking my driving test all over again.  Today was no exception - 'vibes' emanated from him so that I knew that most of the time I was not in the gear he would have chosen for the conditions.   There were terrible traffic jams in Richmond on the other side of the road (the side we would be on when we returned) so we came back on the country (narrow) lanes.   There were steep climbs and narrow bridges.   I have never been so relieved to be home in all my life.

I am just about back to normal now and shall go and sit by the wood burner and watch a gentle walking programme.

22 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh dear what a day, I hope you have a more relaxed evening :-)

angryparsnip said...

Oh My Goodness, what a day. So happy it is over.

cheers, parsnip

John Going Gently said...

I'd love an outside toilet

Heather said...

That does sound like a challenging day and you should sleep well tonight. Glad the farmer is recovering well and hoping for some warmer days for you both to enjoy.

Hildred said...

Frustrating, yes. But I think you did quite admirably Pat, both on the phone and with the 'vibey' passenger. I know exactly what you mean....

Coppa's girl said...

I, too know exactly what you mean about a "vibey" passenger, you did very well and I think many wives will empathise ! Good to know that the famer is still recovering well, so that next time he'll be able to drive himself, and you'll be able to relax in front of the wood burner with Tess.

Wilma said...

As Scarlett said, "After all, tomorrow is another day." And let's hope it is a better one than today!

Barbara said...

Sounds like a case of the "Mondays" to me.
It sure seems like some days are just destined to be trying. I'm always so glad when it's finally time to call it a day and hope that tomorrow is better.
So glad you're home safely and relaxing. ...and very glad the farmer is so much better!

Rachel Phillips said...

I grew up with an outside toilet. My mum always thought that was best. I still cant get my head around en-suite.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm sure your car is not as choosy about its gears as is the Farmer.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Steal the canteen truck, there's probably some good food in it!

Frances said...

Weaver, it's clear that your Monday was quite a full day. I imagine that by the time I'm typing this comment, you and the Farmer might both be enjoying sweet dreams. Hoping tomorrow will be an even easier day.

xo

Morning's Minion said...

It can almost be easier to be a bit under the weather oneself than to deal with a husband who is either ill or not quite back to normal.
I have very rarely been allowed to drive when with my husband--only if it is a long trip and he is very tired--and then only if it is country driving. However, he doesn't rest because he must monitor my driving and give constant advice. Arrgh!

Cro Magnon said...

Yesterday was the first day for quite some while that we felt like picking-up some wine from our nearby vineyard; and yes, the lovely lady was as sick as we'd recently been. It seems to be everywhere.

Librarian said...

What a pleasant surprise to have your problem with British Gas solved so quickly!

And hey - you made it, the drive may have been difficult and tense, but you did it, in spite of averse conditions! That is an achievement to be proud of.
A gentle walking program sounds perfect after that!

Bovey Belle said...

Well done with the driving - it sounds like it was a challenge though, with Himself as a Back Seat Driver PhD!!! My husband and I always share the driving and I must do it OK as he is happy to fall asleep when he is tired.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Have I missed something? What is the portakabin and the toilet all about? I guess British Gas are undertaking pipe works in the area? You will be able to make loads of extra money selling the guys bacon sandwiches - especially if you flirt with them, flutter your eyelashes and show a bit of knee.

Elizabeth said...

Well done navigating the frustrations of the day!
Sometimes bureaucracy does do what it is meant to. I'm always grovelingly grateful when they do!
Well done driving under adverse conditions.
so good to hear The farmer is doing better!

Gwil W said...

Phew!

Mac n' Janet said...

I hate to drive when my husband is in the car too. He doesn't say much, but like the Farmer, you can feel the vibes.
How nice to know that some people actually do what they say they're going to.

Derek Faulkner said...

In answer to Rachel, I also grew up with an outside toilet and have no good memories of it at all. Sitting on it in the yard with snow outside, minus zero blowing under the door and squares of newspaper hanging on a nail as toilet paper, could not in a million years compete with the luxury of en-suite.

The Weaver of Grass said...

YP - I am afraid my showing a bit of knee and fluttering of eyelashes are - sadly - long over - yes they are laying a new gas pipe but none of the employees look to me as though they are old enough to have left school. Thanks everyone. Today I have had a very nice letter from Northern Gas apologising for the inconvenience ( they could of course have said the public convenience instead) - a super letter. I did think of writing one back saying how efficiently they had dealt with my complaint, but I decided not to as the correspondence could just go on and on