Wednesday 6 April 2016

Exercise and other topics.

My Physiotherapist suggested that I try to lose a stone in weight in order to help my arthritic ankle (on one side) and my arthritic knee
(on the other side).   I have so far lost half a stone (seven pounds) and already feel better for it.   Of course this weight loss was 'helped' by having to run up and down stairs during the worst part of the farmer's recent illness.

I also go an an 'Exercise for the over Sixties' class on a Wednesday afternoon.   Our tutor, Sue, puts us through our paces for an hour giving exercise to our coordination, our brains and our bodies.  Of course we have had a fortnight off for the Easter break and by golly was it hard this afternoon.   During the leg work (mostly moving to music) I kept thinking I would have to sit down but I managed to do it all right to the end.   And I felt much better at the end of it
(after a sit down and a cup of tea but no biscuit).   I am sure it is good for us all, but it does take a certain determination to continue, particularly when the weather is like it is today - cold (six degrees), windy and mostly wet.

Now to clear up something else.   The Buttertubs.  Several people have asked recently exactly what the Buttertubs are, so here is the explanation.   I have written this before but obviously I have new followers who missed it.

Most, if not all, of the Dales in the Yorkshire Dales National Park are separated from the next Dale by high ground.   We live on the edge of Wensleydale and the next Dale North of us is Swaledale.
Between the two there is very high ground - and a narrow winding pass.   Right at the top of that pass there is a formation of rocky cliffs and deep fissures (they are now carefully fenced off from the road) and these are The Buttertubs, so called because in earlier times farmers' wives who made butter and took it to markets would put any spare butter they were bringing back down these fissures in order to keep it cool for the next week - I am of course speaking of long before the days of refrigerators.  And so it is usually called The Buttertubs Pass.   The grassy hills surrounding it - moor and quite wild - is where in Summer the hefted sheep belonging to various farmers spend their time grazing.   Before they go up there their horns are carefully marked so that when they come down in Winter (it is too bleak up there) it is easy to identify each owner.   This practice has gone on for generations.  Almost all of these sheep then spend the winter at one or other of the lowland farms (we are only six hundred feet above sea level, which is considered lowland around here.) 

The farmer continues to improve slowly, doing a little more each day, but he is not better by any means and is getting subcontractors in to do various jobs which can't wait.  He has not been cheered today by a friend ringing him up to tell him that he knows someone who appears to have had the same 'bug' which has lasted for a month!

13 comments:

Dawn said...

well done on the weight loss and getting through the exercise session, loved the explanation of Buttertubs :-)

angryparsnip said...

On No !
I love when friends bring you good (bad) news like that.
Did the doctor give you ideas on how to besides rest and your good food
to help him recover ? Blackberry tea ?

Cheers, parsnip and thehamish

Wilma said...

Well, at least the Farmer shouldn't feel all alone in taking a long time to recover. Might be the norm for this bug. Glad he can get contractors in to help in the meantime. Very interesting history behind the name of Buttertubs Pass. Like you, I always feel better for having exercised. Cheers!

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

For some reason I always love it when people are able to use natural food stores in that kind of way.

Frances said...

Weaver, I guess I am a newcomer to your posts, and thank you for the history of the Buttertubs Pass. It makes perfect sense, and reminds me to put butter on my shopping list. I want to do some baking and need to restock a few items. Mind you...I am going to distribute the results of this future baking to my former work colleagues as a bit of a thank you for my farewell tea party.

I've made a note, mental and pencilled, that 14 pounds = one stone. I'm going to try to keep up a daily walking regimen so that my retirement won't result in changes to my own metabolism.

Continued best wishes to the Farmer's steady recovery. Meanwhile, how good to have folks who can stand in.

xo

Mac n' Janet said...

I'm trying to lose weight too, but my thyroid which has been wonky for years is not cooperating. They've upped my medication for it and we'll see if that helps.
Glad you were able to lose 7!

Cro Magnon said...

Our recent illness lasted a month too. That'll cheer him up.

Librarian said...

Congratulations on losing weight, completing your exercise class and feeling better for it! I don't get as much exercise as I'd like to some weeks, but now that the weather looks to be warming up some and daylight hours are longer, I manage to go for a walk after work some days, and that makes me feel really good.
I have to be careful not to lose any more weight, it happens so quickly with me and I am not always sure why. When I get too skinny, I simply don't feel strong enough to do everything I want to do, and I tire quickly.

It's not that long ago that the Buttertubs featured in a program about Yorkshire I was watching on Youtube. I've not yet been in that particular part of the county yet myself, but I love knowing about places and thinking about where to explore when I am over in the summer.

potty said...

When the Tour de France passed through Yorkshire didn't it 'do' Buttertubs? As an ex Yorkie (N) now in France, it was great to see the place en fete, and little slopes being called Col de xxxxx !

Heather said...

It might take the farmer less than a month to recover as he is such a fit man.
I love the name Buttertubs Pass, and the reason for it.
Congratulations on losing some weight. Maybe I am not trying hard enough! I haven't lost an ounce in spite of being 'on call' all day. In my defence, a lot of my weight is in my legs due to lymphoedema and that is very hard to shift.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Yes Potty you are quite right - the highlight of our section was when the Tour de Yorkshire went over the Buttertubs Pass. Thanks to you all for calling in. And to Cro for the not-so-good news about this bug.

thelma said...

Must give up biscuits, must give up biscuits, will be my daily prayer, trouble is I finish off those left by others. But well done for losing weight and being strong over biscuits;) Hope the Farmer has enough patience to recuperate and he gets stronger soon.

Terry and Linda said...

If the farmer is like my husband, just having to have someone come in to do his work (even if he is paying them to do it) has him terribly agitated. I hope this illness passes quickly and he is back on his feet...for him and for you.

Linda