Friday 30 June 2023

In the morning early.

 Yesterday my gardener came  (so this morning there is no sign of Birds Foot Trefoil but give it a couple of days and it'll be back).  My male gardener D mows my two lawns, tidies the hedges, prunes back any wayward plants and weeds the paths and patio.   And while he is doing that his partner, J, dead-heads and weeds the steep back garden.   J is a friend and I usually take Priscilla round the back and sit and chat to her while she works.   But yesterday I stood, leaning with my elbows on the wall, showing her which Aquelegia needed pulling out before they seeded and which she needed to leave.   Some have such beautiful flowers, others are quite weedy.   Now all that are left (all have finished flowering) are the ones I hope will serve me well next year (the bees, of course have other ideas).  I should have known better.   I have had virtually no sleep as my back was objecting to my daytime behaviour.

So here I am at 4am sitting in my chair, blinds drawn back, watching the dawn.

What a different world it is at this time.   First of all I actually watched the Milkman deliver my milk - it is several years since I saw him.   Then J and Sammy strolled past.   J is a lady in her late eighties who lives about 5 doors further up the road and as I haven't seen her for weeks I thought she must be ill/away.   But no, obviously like me she is a rotten sleeper.   She was up, showered, smartly dressed and walking her usual 'wee and poo' round (poo bag in hand).   Sammy as usual was weeing up every blade of grass - he certainly makes sure all the bitches who walk the same route know he's there.

How different it is at 4 in the morning.   Light in a funny sort of way - dull, so no vision of the sunrise and totally still - not even a leaf on the silver birch across the way was moving.

The svelte female black cat was out nice and early as cats like to be.   She came strolling towards the waste ground opposite my window where she sits and listens to what is going on in the long grass which she seems loth to enter (must seem like dense jungle to her but I think she must hear something rustling (mice?_) in there.)

Suddenly round the corner, also out for his early morning stroll, comes the local, large ginger Tom.  Like a shot from a gun she is off - no good-morning, within a few seconds she had gone.

Two blackbirds and a starling are wandering about the front lawn, now and again poking a beak into the ground and devouring some poor, innocent beastie.   Do you ever wonder what birds think - or can they think - they are certainly creatures of habit.  Jackdaws, the odd rook, various garden birds fly purposefully back and forth.   Where are they going?  When they take off from their perch wherever it is, do they already have in mind where they are going?

Cars (mostly men who I presume are off to work) begin about 5am with the odd one now and again; but  by six o'clock the exodus from the estate begins in earnest.   Curtains are drawn back in the few windows I can see.   Everywhere there is sudden movement - here and there a dog-walker, a steady stream of cars, some stopping by the letter box (I reluctantly have to say that women are the real culprits here and tend to abandon their vehicle for the time it takes to put the envelope in the box.)   When a man has to post he seems to abandon his vehicle but at least it is on the edge of the road so other drivers can get past.

I see even the leaves on the Silver Birch have woken up and begun to move.   Yes - in this part of the world we have woken up good and proper - I shall go and put the kettle on.

30 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

I was on the reserve at 04.30 this morning, such a peaceful time of day. I went onto the farmland alongside where a friend had discovered an unknown colony of C.70 Pyramidal Orchids in bloom along a ditch bank. Not a rare orchid but probably the only ones growing on the whole of the Isle of Sheppey where I live. I took some photographs in the early morning light.
I get the feeling that your gardener is mowing your lawn to tightly, by raising the cut by an inch or so, the lawn would still look cut but would probably leave the trefoil and any clover flowers behind for the bees.
Some dead-heading to do now and then plenty of time to watch the Test Match, which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Librarian said...

Usually I am up very early only when I have been spending the weekend at O.K.'s and he takes me to the train station on Monday morning. While I do not like to leave my bed before I have finished sleeping, I like being out and about early - as you say, it is a different world.
My sister says that, too; she leaves her flat, walks round the corner and reaches her allotment in 2 minutes, waters her plants before it gets too hot, listens to the birds and breathes the fresh morning air - her perfect start for the day this time of year.

Tom Stephenson said...

Sometimes it is lovely to be up and out on a Summer morning. Rare for me in town. I enjoyed sharing your morning Weave.

gz said...

It is calming and beautiful to be up with the dawn and observe.
People don't realise how busy it is at that time!
Thankyou for giving us your morning x

thelma said...


early morning is special, it has a light that is different, and far from being a lonely place has lots of small happenings as you have described. We all enjoyed your morning.

GG said...

I am an early bird and also a night owl as I only sleep for about five hours. I like to do my grocery shopping early and am usually done and home, groceries put away before 7:45. The store used to be open 24 hours but now opens at 7:00. One day after coming home from being away in Grenada and needing milk, bread etc. for breakfast I went right from the airport to the store at 3:00 AM and started to shop, along came a policewoman and asked if I was alright. I laughed and told her I was fine and that it was nice she was looking out. I think early mornings are the best time of day, when I was a runner, my friend and I would start at 5:00 AM and run in the park, in the dark, never being afraid.

Rachel Phillips said...

If my back didn't like something I had done I would take a couple of paracetamol and gone to sleep. I noticed you were up early, as I commented on your previous post, when I saw some early comments from you. This post was, however, not published at that time. Yes, early mornings are ok but I prefer to stay in bed. Maybe the lady exercising the dog always does so early and it is not a sign that she had a bad night.

Anonymous said...


Thank you for sharing your morning with us. I love the title of this post. Your words (and John's too on his blog) are often like poetry. Lucky us, your readers! Jackie in Georgia USA

JayCee said...

I am not usually an early riser but during the recent spell of hot weather my hay fever ensured that I was up and about by 4:30 each morning.
It was a very peaceful time of day here with only the birds around.

Ellen D. said...

You described it well and I felt I was sitting with you watching out the window! Nice post, Pat!

Barbara Rogers said...

I so enjoy reading your posts...and today's was so delightful! I have been awakening at dawn, or even before, since the spring/summer days have lengthened. I'm amazed at how long a day is, and how very much I can get done now. Today we had a break in the smokey air coming from Canada's wildfires, a bit of rain fell after dawn, so I opened the windows to it. (I'm in western North Carolina's mountains) I had been enclosed with the airconditioner all of yesterday due to air warnings (and my lung sensitivity). It's so nice to have the clean damp air with drizzles now. I'm so grateful to hear the birds and even traffic on the interstate highway nearby.

John Going Gently said...

I love this kind of post
Thank you for sharing
Your writing sounds more pleasurable to you recently
Jxx

Susan said...

This is a lovely post about your keen morning observations. I like the morning quiet and coolness at sunrise. Your gardens and lawns fully groomed and tidied must look terrific.

Damselfly said...

Wonderful post, so vivid!
Hope your back settles down and you have a restful night's sleep tonight.

Barbara Anne said...

What a delightful glimpse of your early morning, Pat! I echo Rachel's suggestion that a gentle pain pill and sleep might be better than having so little sleep. 'Better living through chemistry' as used to be in advertisements from DuPont (if memory serves).

We've left our clover uncut for the bees and rabbits who share the land here.

Hope you take an afternoon nap today!

Hugs!

Gilly Knowles said...

D and J come and help me with my garden now - they are very good.

Debby said...

I enjoyed waking up with you this morning!

Derek Faulkner said...

Pat,
You might be interested to watch "Countryfile" this coming Sunday as it has a feature about Ronald Blythe.

Heather said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your commentary of how your little neck of the woods wakes up. I am fortunate in that I sleep quite well and am rarely awake before 6am, and if I do wake earlier I refuse to get up.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you Derek!
Yes Gilly - J told me. I have had D for years and now could not manage without them. Do call in for a coffee - I am rarely out as I can't walk unaided and no longer drive. I would love a chat.

Anonymous said...

You paint a lovely early morning picture Pat. Delightful to observe the world waking up where you live. Bought memories of the differences in places I've lived...early mornings in the country with mist rising off the river, another time in a cottage close to the airport and highway, where early mornings smelt like diesel fuel, reminding me of travel in parts of Germany and the U.S. where an early start was often necessary.- Pam, Aust.

hart said...

The early hour seem to bring out the poet in you.

Red said...

I like early mornings and sunrises. I just can't make myself get up to see the dawn.

Granny Sue said...

I too am seeing poetry in this post. I am seldom up so early, but when I am it is magical. Owls, whippoorwills, the half- light cast by the moon...and me, standing there like an alien in a strange land.

Joanne Noragon said...

Lovely, Weaver. Thank you.

Cro Magnon said...

At this time of year I 'sleep' with the bedroom windows wide open. At about 5.30 am (4.30 am UK) the birds start singing to let me know that it's time to get up. Really there's no better alarm call than a Blackbird.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for your response to what I thought was quite an ordinary post. It is hard to put' into words a scene where nothing much seems to be happening but where really 'under the surface 'everything is waking up to face another day.

Anonymous said...

I finally looked up birds foot trefoil which you mention occasionally in garden posts - as it turns out not something I have noticed here at all! It seems to grow more in our prairie states. Perhaps I will now notice it everywhere?

Hope your weekend is good - we are coming up to a long holiday weekend here so I will be sticking close to home!

Ceci

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful post, Pat. I love your description of watching the world wake up.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you everyone.