Saturday 1 July 2023

Nothing to say today

It has been a nothing sort of day today - does everyone have days like this?   Apart from it being my 'drugs day' - that is the day when I sort my drugs out for the coming week and put them all in the correct compartments in the weekly 'pill boxes', I watched the Ladies Tennis Final at (I think Eastbourne )- please correct me if I have the wrong venue.  The favourite won.

It has not been a particularly nice day - not very warm, mostly cloudy and a strong West wind blowing.

My neighbour came round to tell me she is going away for a few days.   It is no good saying I am envious - I like my 'nest' here with friends calling, my son keeping me in order and a smattering of outings.   I can't even say that I miss my car.   I am a firm believer that driving licences for everyone should stop at ninety.   I had already surrendered mine before my Epilepsy was diagnosed.

Now, any minute my favourite Carer will be here to help me prepare for bed.   She has promised me an omelette (made in the Omelette Maker she bought me for Christmas) - I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who loves omelettes (try a scattering of snipped-up and crisply fried smoked streaky bacon and a handful of chopped-up chestnut mushrooms (unless you have access to field mushrooms - we had them galore at the farm).  Fry the bacon snippets, saute the mushrooms in butter, add them to the two lightly-whisked eggs - pour into a lightly oiled omellete maker which you have switched on for a few minutes so that it is nicely warm - put down the lid and leave for around 5 minutes.   Switch off, open the lid and there will lie a perfectly formed and nicely browned omelette (the maker is easy to clean if you have remembered to lightly oil it).   I like a nice scattering of mustard and cress to garnish - it looks so pretty.

Once J has gone I shall either watch the Channel 5 programme on Highgrove (King Charles and Queen Camilla's private house where he has done wonders with the carefully planned garden)  or finish Elizabeth Strout's book 'Lucy by the Sea' (the first book I have read which is specifically about the Pandemic ).   She is an excellent writer.

Wimbledon on Monday!! 

18 comments:

Jan Bx said...

Thanks for the heads up on Elizabeth Strout's book. I hadn't heard of it and I also love her writing. Along with Maggie O'Farrell and Laurie Graham she is one of my many favourites. Janx

thelma said...

Must admit I add grated cheese alongside the mushrooms to my omelette, but it makes a simple meal without too many pans.

Granny Sue said...

I too will find the book you mentioned. I enjoy her writing very much. Your day sounds quite nice, actually. Much work and sweating going on here. I don't mind the work but not the sweat. It's quite humid, and it seems like the day is just waiting for a big storm to brew. We shall see. We certainly need the rain.

DUTA said...

Your mention of driving, reminded me that I was rather surprised to learn from my late father that his doctor was even against commutting (sitting in the bus/car). He believed it was bad for his health and recommended walking only, as he was retired.

Heather said...

Omelette - delicious. The thought of field mushrooms makes my mouth water. I remember gathering them as a child but now don't have the opportunity. We have had light rain at last and today has been cooler but still humid at times. I'm sure more rain is needed and I do hope that August will not be as unbearable as it was last year.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

An omelette is a nice light dinner to have.
Nothing days feel too frequent with all the rain we've been having here in Vermont.

Red said...

I like omelettes but I make them the hard way.

Debby said...

It may have been a nothing sort of day for you, but you found plenty of joy in it!

Cro Magnon said...

It was raining here yesterday so I watched the opening stage of 'The Tour de France'. Good to see English twins Simon and Adam Yates coming-in first and second.

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention Elizabeth Strout today, as only an hour ago her book Olive Kitteridge was amongst the few I decided to donate to our library. I really enjoyed it, but rarely read books twice - unless they have sentimental value, and this one didn't. In my bookshelf is a very early copy of Swallows and Amazons I bought from a charity shop recently. I intend to read it, and its only taken me until I'm 70. It will be a keeper, as it was one of my husband's favourites when he was growing up. - Pam, Aust.

Librarian said...

That omelette sounds lovely! I like grated cheese, or small dices, with an omelette, but also bacon or bits of ham, mushrooms or whatever needs using up.
As for driving, I know several people who should really not be driving anymore, such as O.K.‘s Dad! who is as good as blind on one eye, with the other eye not being very good, either, and hard of hearing. If he were to undergo a test for driving fitness, he would certainly fail. But he still drives to places in and around the village - hopefully, it won‘t take an accident before he stops.
My Dad had several smaller accidents over a few years until he finally accepted that he was no longer a safe driver. Already for years, I had not liked being in the car with him, and tried to avoid even short drives; his reactions were just too slow formthe kind of traffic in our town. And he was not yet 80, so I think there should not be an age limit to driving, but regular tests from maybe the age of 75 onwards.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Good point Librarian


Pam - I didn't enjoy Olive Kitteridge or her 'sequel' which I think was called Olive Again but this latest one is a cracker - at last I have got into Strout's style.

Cro My son is an ardent Tour fan - I think we can only get highlights on the channels I can get but I manage to find out how I can watch before the final day or two when it gets really exciting.

Thanks for joining in everyone.

Tom Stephenson said...

Nothing to say today, but I'll say it anyway. That's always been my policy.

Rachel Phillips said...

I was saddened to read that once again you said 90 year olds should give up their licence. I won't go into this further as I have explained to you before what I think. I note you appear excited about Wimbledon. That is a surprise to me.

Donna said...

My father in law is 97 and still drives...lives alone and still takes care of the homestead. He's doing good...
hugs
Donna

Rachel Phillips said...

I note you have just told Cro you cannot get live coverage of the Tour. It is shown live on ITV4 daily.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

From what i see there are plenty of drivers of all ages who should not be allowed anywhere near a vehicle!

Derek Faulkner said...

I don't believe that people should stop driving at 90 but I do believe that they should be tested at that age before their license is re-newed. Many people will have been driving for 70 years by then with no tests to show that their eyesights, reaction times and basic skills are still suitable for modern day motoring.