Wednesday 19 July 2023

Busy day, no time to blog.

 It has been a busy day.   I  decided to order my new high definition lamp.   This involved a phone call to the company and my lamp will arrive some time on Friday.    Then I had to contact my Electrician to put me in a new socket - he came and looked at the situation is is now coming on Wednesday of next week to instal it all.   Salad lunch eaten and just as I started my after lunch coffee my two Gardeners arrived to mow, weed, dead-head and tidy and come in for a coffee.   By this time it was half past four.  Time to get my tea before the Electrician came (5pm) and guess what I had for tea.   Talk about nostalgia setting in!

D, my gardener, brought me a plastic box of newly dug new potatoes from his garden - soil still clinging to them.    What bliss - I scrubbed them very gently to remove the loose soil, covered them with cold water, added sea salt and a sprig of mint.   I made a cup of tea and set my tray - plate of new potatoes covered in blobs of butter(!) and  sat down to a real feast such as I have not had since I said goodbye to my veg garden many moons ago.   I don't know the variety but they were perfect - the soil fell away and they were totally unblemished.  Whan I close down my computer I shall send D a text to say what a delight it was to have such a treat.

Quite soon after the gardeners went we had a heavy shower and now everywhere looks pristine - and colourful with it.   See you tomorrow.

22 comments:

the veg artist said...

The first new potatoes served with butter. My sister's favourite meal too.

Gemma's person said...

Nothing like fresh new potatoes. You are a lucky girl.

Rachel Phillips said...

Good to prepare your own food from time to time, keeps your hand in.

Country Cottage said...

I just love new potatoes - glad you enjoyed yours. Viv

Ana Dunk said...

I have never had heard of eating mint with potatoes! I love new potatoes with melty butter but would have added minced chives or flat leaf parsley. My grandmother would have prepared a white sauce (bechamel) with new baby peas and stirred in the potatoes. New baby peas would have been available at the same time as the new potatoes.

DUTA said...

I love potatoes new or old. Everything with butter is delicious, but, I keep away from butter.

Damselfly said...

Fresh new potatoes with butter and a bit of salt & pepper... definitely bliss!

Debby said...

That was new to me as well, but I have both! Time to try a new recipe.

Granny Sue said...

What a nice gardener you have! I think my favorite part of this post was the 2 gardeners coming in for coffee. I can just imagine the conversation.

Ellen D. said...

I bet your day flew by! Glad it was so pleasant!

Susan said...

Nice warm new potatoes with butter sounds delicious. You accomplished a lot today and that is always is a good feeling.

Joanne Noragon said...

That was a blog, indeed. New potatoes. Gobs of butter. Yum.

Red said...

New potatoes are certainly one of my favorites. There's nothing like veggies right out of the ground.

Cro Magnon said...

I miss those new potatoes. Adding the mint when cooking makes all the difference.

Librarian said...

Mmmmh... fresh spuds with butter - one of the simplest and most delightful meals ever invented! I must try the mint bit.

Heather said...

Fresh dug potatoes with mint and butter - luxury. Your day sounds very satisfactory.

Rachel Phillips said...

It is tradition in Britain to always boil new potatoes with a couple of leaves of mint. It is a good complement to the potatoes and is to counterbalance the earthy taste in case they are too earthy, especially Jersey Royals.

Frances said...

Your potatoes sound delicious. I had to look up high def. lamp. Never heard of them...you live and learn!

Derek Faulkner said...

Mint sauce on new potatoes is also a nice enhancement, especially if it's home-made.

A Smaller and Simpler Life said...

It really is the most simple and delicious of meals isn't it, a lovely bowl of buttery, salted new potatoes fresh from the garden. My Dad used to always top his with homemade mint sauce, but I like mine just as they are, or occasionally with a spoonful of mayonnaise.

gz said...

The best of days!
I steamed our freshly dug tatties with mint in the water below them..that kept the beautiful red colour.

Bea said...

Ooh, newly dug up spuds cooked and slathered in butter is divine!