Sunday 9 July 2023

Thick

 I hate this word.  I hate it when it is applied to people.   Having read Jeremy Clarkson in Sunday's Times I see he uses it - along the lines that there are always going to be some children who are 'thick'. 

My whole teaching career was with children who had some difficulty - many because they had come to England from Pakistan and English had to be learned quickly before they could begin to take part in lessons.   Later of course as their parents began to speak English this problem got less and less.

Many children - dyslexic for example- struggle to learn to read, autistic children often have multiple difficulties and have difficulty in making themselves understood.

But I can assure Clarkson - and anyone else who feels as he does- that using the word 'thick' in that context is a)hurtful to the child who is trying his/her best, b) hurtful to parents.   I have taught children with Down's Syndrome who often display a great amount of skill in areas where it is least expected.

One instance I remember particularly when the Head was out of school and suddenly the class came to a standstill because the iron went off - the plug fused or something (my knowledge of anything electrical is nil).  There were two teachers in the room with a class of less able children - it was a sewing class and the iron was needed.   I was the teacher in charge of the iron (for safety reasons of course) and the other teacher was teaching sewing (not my strong point either).   We stood looking at the iron in consternation until Michael - a Down's boy of about 16 - got up,walked across, picked up the iron, unplugged it and mended it.   And boy was he pleased. 

The Head came back as he was doing it and everyone was clustered round watching (including the other teacher and me).   I have never forgotten her words -"Thank you so much Michael".   And to the two of us -"Two grown women and neither of you can as much as change a plug."  And I have never forgotten the smile of pride that lit up Michael's face.

I still wouldn't know what to do in such circumstances I am ashamed to say.   But the point I am making Mr Clarkson is that there is more to life that the three R's,   Everyone has something to contribute apart from the severely disabled.*   Often you have to dig deep and work at it to find what that is.   But of one thing I am absolutely sure - calling him 'thick' helps no one - in fact it is an insult.   He turned out to be a 'dab hand' at all kinds of little jobs.   He grew in stature by the day and became a real mainstay of the school ('fetch Michael - he'll know what's wrong with it') became a catchphrase.

Calling anyone 'thick' is a crime in my eyes.

*Even someone severely disabled mentally can often light up a room when given a word of praise.

I shall not read Mr Clarkson's column again.   Not that he will mind.   Columnists are I suppose there to be controversial, to set the cat amongst the pigeons.   Otherwise their columns would be boring and wasted.   But I, for one, wish to put across my point in the strongest possible terms.   One word of praise is worth a thousand words of criticism and the smile you get in return will make your day.

31 comments:

Red said...

You're right on with this comment. Positive comments and a positive attitude go a long way to help people succeed.

Cro Magnon said...

Weave, I expect he wrote it just so we would all think what an insensitive bast*rd he is. I was given his book about his farm last Christmas, and I did find it very funny. However, his over-use of similes is very annoying!

Derek Faulkner said...

Your recent blog postings have been similar to those that you criticise in the newspapers, like them you make statements that will provoke for and against answers.
I have known people that were as "thick as two planks" academically but who had practical skills that we couldn't match, so it's swings and roundabouts.

RunNRose said...

As far as I am concerned, there is NO opinion different from yours that is worth my time! I taught for thirty years, and very much agree with you. I mean, what is the argument? That it is all right to call somebody "thick"? Maybe that could be turned around, and the person making that argument is "thick"? As to your recent posts, I have been amazed at the subjects you bring up, and the "spot-on" reasoning you display. If "thick" means "not smart", well, Weave, you are definitely one of the thinnest people I know!

thelma said...

Contempt for others and the ability to use words to hurt. Clarkson unfortunately is a journalist with an attitude and he makes money out of it. Don't read him, perhaps even better write a letter to the Times and complain about his cruelty. He seems to have recovered quickly from his nasty comments about Meghan Markle.

Rachel Phillips said...

One minute you like him, the next you don't. When you write about your newspaper I stop reading so sorry, I didn't finish.

Librarian said...

Well, sometimes I am rather "slow on the uptake" myself - depending on the complexity of a subject, my state of mind and possibly of how much (or little) sleep I have had. If that makes me thick, then so be it.
I just find it amazing that the word "thick" in relation with people was not edited out of Clarkson's column. Here in Germany, journalists and politicians struggle to find words to describe different (mental and physical) abilities or even just different proveniences, beliefs and cultural identities without offending anyone.

the veg artist said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Someone's ability to pass exams, make a lot of money or be what is judged a success in this sad world in no way reflects on their qualities as an individual.

Tom Stephenson said...

Calling children 'thick' is, as you say, an extremely cruel thing to do. Calling them 'silly' (or accusing them of silly behaviour) is much kinder and does not slam doors in their faces. H.I. often says to people like Clarkson, I don't hate you but I hate some of your behaviour. That's how I feel about him. He is one of those silly children.

JayCee said...

I am not a fan of Clarkson so do not watch or read about him. He seems to be just an overgrown, puerile individual.

Anonymous said...

I read his book about his farm and found it amusing. I think he is a bit of an ass though, too much money and a bit thick himself.

Tasker Dunham said...

Clarkson is a nasty piece of work. I suggest he would be more accurate by applying that word to himself.

Heather said...

I have never been a fan of Jeremy Clarkson, and actually share Tasker Dunham's view. Each of us has a skill that someone else may not have and sometimes an unkind word in one's youth can stay in the mind and hold a person back for decades.

Pixie said...

I have a daughter who has a severe mental disability. Her mental age is between 2 and 3 but she is also 31 years old and has years of experience that a small child doesn't. She has the most amazing memory and sense of humour. She's also very empathetic. Just because she's disabled doesn't mean she's stupid at all. I didn't understand that until I had her. I suppose it's no different than someone in a wheelchair being an athlete. Thanks for writing this. And Jeremy Clarkson sounds like a putz.

Anonymous said...

Yep, Mr. Clarkson does not deserve any praise.

Ceci

Derek Faulkner said...

Oh dear, clearly most of your commentors seem to be of a sensitive nature and find it difficult to accept another person's different views on life, perhaps they shouldn't read blogs and newspapers. I find Clarksons opinions quite refreshing in this woke world.

Anonymous said...

There will always be people that resort to bullying. I must say that I see some that comment on various blogs on a regular basis. They seem to feel the need to pass judgement on others while never turning the lens on themselves. Whether they are a "famous" person or a troll, the behavior seems the same to me. Unfortunately, Clarkson and his ilk make lots of money doing so. Thank you, Pat for calling them out! Jackie in Georgia USA.

Susan said...

You should submit this post to the "Sunday Times" as a letter to the Editor. If letters like yours are published to contradict JC maybe he will be less likely to write such content again. JC should be ashamed of himself.

Barbara Anne said...

So true!

I agree with Susan. This should be sent to the Times as your words should reach as many people as possible for the sake of the children.

Hugs!

Ruta M. said...

Towards the end of my teaching career I would be criticised for for finding things to praise children for instead of pointing out their work was not good enough. This was for creative activities done by infant school children! Being constantly criticised by my boss was one reason that I retired early from teaching. Being told you are not good enough is soul destrying whatever age you are.

Traveller said...

I agree with you about Clarkson. He can be amusing - he article many years ago about universal plugs (as in electrical);was brilliant. But it involved inanimate objects. I find when he gets to people things go a bit wrong. I thought his article on the Duchess of Suffolk was appalling. Saying people are thick is not acceptable. As for it being “woke” - there were all sorts of words that were once deemed acceptable, luckily we have moved on a bit from them.

Unlike Rachel, I enjoy your posts that are sparked by something you have read in the newspaper. The post isn’t about the newspaper per se but the fact that some encouragement is better than a put down.

Anonymous said...

We have a neighbor who adopted a toddler from China. The lchild has Down’s syndrome. She couldn’t sit up when she was adopted nor communicate. She is five now, can run, use sign language or body language to communicate. She is the most empathetic and happy person I’ve ever been around and gives superb hugs. Just because some e can’t communicate the usual way does not mean they are unintelligent.

Marjorie said...

They have so many gifts to share. I was teaching a craft in my youngest son's 4th grade class and one student with challenges told me he had lost a bead and told me the colour he had lost. I congratulated him as most in the class would not recollect what colour beads they had been given.

Joanne Noragon said...

Belittling a child is absolute cruelty.

Granny Sue said...

Clarkson is like the class clown, the one who, the more attention they get, the more they act up.

John Going Gently said...

Clarkson is an arse
An overgrown schoolboy

Anonymous said...

As Derek notes, it comes from 'thick as two planks'. Whatever we may feel about the word, there are people like that, horrible to witness when combined with a giant ego, a dangerous weapon or both, but the word should never be used for children.- Pam.

LouC said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. As a teacher a hundred years ago (so it seems) you have made my day!

Debby said...

I think people who pick on others who cannot fight back are thick. He surely knows he is being offensive. The people who appreciate his dubious 'wisdom' are a bit thick as well.

The Weaver of Grass said...

What an int\eresting lot you are and what fascinating comments you make. As to writing to The Times I did think about it. When you have spent a whole teaching life encouraging children of less ability in the three R's I find the word attached to any humanbeing offensive - and in the case of children hurtful . That may be over sensitive - if itis then so be it. I decided that columnists in newspapers arepaid to be controversial and to get their readers 'rattled'. If so then it is adding fuel to the flames to write in protest.

As always - many thanks.

Granny Sue said...

Exactly.