Thursday 27 July 2023

Slow and steady wins the race.

 I don't suppose you need telling whether I am a hare or a tortoise.   Perhaps I could change to being a tortoise if I tried hard but I am too old to change, so I carry on wanting everything to be done yesterday.   The result of course is that the next day I suffer. 

I have aches in places where I didn't even know I had places let alone  muscles - but they are doing a pretty good job today at pointing themselves out.   Picking up books from the floor with one hand whilst holding on to my walker with the other hand to save falling over, carrying them on the trolley to the bookcase and reaching up to put each book on the appropriate shelf - i.e. bending and stretching - all good exercise I have no doubt.   But today I am paying for it and have strict instructions from my carer to "take it easy." 

So I am following orders.   I didn't feel like doing much anyway and after breakfast I did the Times Mind Games, read the paper and went for a stroll round the garden, dead-heading a few pansies on the way, went back indoors and fell asleep, waking just before lunch time.   After lunch I watched the News and then fell asleep again.   I have just - at half past three- woken up and washed up my lunch pots and wiped out the microwave and washed the plate. 

Looking out of the window I see it is a sunny, breezy day.   One thing is certain - looking at my pansies, which have been in flower for the past six weeks (with regular dead-heading) - next year I shall buy twice as many and get D my gardener (or more likely J his right-hand helper) to put three  in every   obvious space there is.   They are stunning -  yellow, apricot, purple and white ones - they hit you in the eye with their beauty.  The other beauties in the garden are the hardy geraniums - magenta, pink and blue and the fiery red clumps of crocosmia (used to be called montbretia in my Dad's day - his garden was full of it.)

I was thinking this morning during one of my quiet moments when I do nothing but think ('What is this life if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare?' - W H Davies) about George Alagiah -  our BBC News Reader who has very sadly died this week of bowel cancer.   George has regularly appeared in my sitting-room at 6pm for some years and he has become like a friend - not unlike all of us who regularly blog with one another - but perhaps slightly more real by his actual presence.   But maybe this is balanced by the fact that we don't share his thoughts.   But I do know his death has quite upset me - certainly greatly saddened me.  I have thought about him a lot during the past few days.

Finally The Great British Sewing Bee is over and the worthy winner was Asmaa - an Iraqi Breast Cancer surgeon.   Her final effort - two dresses in one - where a dress  turned into a spectacular evening dress as the model walked down the catwalk -  left the viewer in no doubt that she was a very worthy winner.

Until tomorrow.


 

18 comments:

the veg artist said...

Asmaa's dress was indeed stunning. Very cleverly designed, or engineered as Patrick called it, as well as beautiful. I've read quite a few pieces about George Alagiah. Much loved, respected, and a fine man as well as an excellent journalist. The way he expressed gratitude for the life he has led, and his love for his wife and sons had me close to tears. A fine man.

Librarian said...

You did well taking it easy after a day of more physical exercise than usual. Hopefully, your aches and pains will be gone tomorrow, and you‘ll be ready for some more (gentle!) activities.

Joan (Devon) said...

Have you thought about getting a grabber, so that you don't have to lean down too far to get things off the floor?

Heather said...

I loved to have pansies and perennial geraniums in my garden. They are such rewarding plants. I know many people are complaining about the lack of summery weather but I have to say I am enjoying it. My feet and legs work much better in cooler temperatures and I hope that August will not be nearly as hot or humid as it was last year. I was utterly useless for days.
I too was saddened by the death of George Alagiah. Life is so cruel to some people.
Try to be a tortoise - it's easier to keep going!

Rachel Phillips said...

From reading your blog for years I was not able to say whether you are a tortoise or a hare. There is no steady thread that I am able to use to identify you either way.

gz said...

I love the fact that all the Sewing Bee contestants have stayed in touch, and carried on sewing..and Asmaa's aim to design bra's for mastectomy patients..perfect!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel = I was rather pleased with your observation - perhaps I am not as bad as i thought in wanting things done yesterday.

Latane Barton said...

I do love reading your posts. They are like sitting there having a conversation with you.

Barbara Anne said...

Another worthy post, my friend, and I sympathize with your aches from moving books yesterday. May I suggest books, when moved, no longer go on the floor? If put right on your walker's seat they can be trundled to a table top or footstool so are easier to pick up when the bookshelf is ready.

I wish we could see the Sewing Bee here, but if it's streaming, we haven't found it. We subscribed to The Repair Shop for a short time, but the You Tube side is so disorganized we quit and un-subscribed.

Hope you feel better tomorrow!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

You only seem to care what Rachel has to say, why is that?

Derek Faulkner said...

Perhaps an unfortunate choice of animals to compare yourself with, as both can move quite speedily, which sadly, you are no longer able to do.
As the owner of two tortoises, I can vouch to the fact that when tortoises see an oportunity to escape, they can travel down a garden at surprisng speed.

Anonymous said...

A littler bit of tortoise, a little bit of hare I think. I think of you as steady, steady wins the race, and your steady progress in the face of challenges that would set many back, is admirable.
I like to see the banter between you, Rachel and Derek. You all go back a long way! - Pam

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Even hares have to lie down and take things easy sometimes!

thelma said...

Hare impulse and tortoise adaptations due to a long and happy life, think that is how I would describe you Pat.

A Smaller and Simpler Life said...

I was really upset to learn of the death of George Alagiah, the tributes from his friends and colleagues were lovely, he seemed such a true gentleman.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting view of me Thelma - and very perceptive I might add.
Pam - yes indeed we do go back a long way and we do tend to speak our minds as we surely would if we all three lived next door to one another. Brickbats is a word that springs to mind.
Derek - I didn't know you had 2 tortoises - do they have names ?
Joan - yes I do think about it from time to time but also think it is good exercise for me to bend down regularly to pick things up.
Anonymous - I don't usually comment on Anonymous replies - but just to say that Rachel, Derek and I go back a long way and I think of them as special friends - their comments are often controversial and fashioned to get me to reply. Often I rise to the bait. But be assured I read every single comment and am always pleased to get them - more esspecially when they have a name attached.
As usual - thanks to you all.

Derek Faulkner said...

Pat, I like your response re. yourself, Rachel and myself, it's one of the joys of blogging with you in that you always accept other people's comments and opinions, even when they differ from your own.
No, the tortoises do not have names, they are simply the male one and the female one.

Rachel Phillips said...

I do not regard my comments as 'banter' as Pam calls them. My comments when made to Pat are serious and considered and she treats them that way.