Monday 26 June 2023

Miscellany

 My brain is having one of those 'stream of consciousness' days today so I am sorry to say you will have a choice of either 'going with it' or 'giving it a miss' today.

'The pen is mightier than the sword but the tongue is mightier than them both put together' - we all know that saying (Edward Bulwer Lytton (1839) in his play about Richelieu - we don't remember the play but the phrase has stuck hasn't it?) I thought this briefly when I looked out of the sitting room window on to my lawn this morning.   Today  - Monday - is usually 'Lawn Day' for my gardener when he goes round all his customers and gets his lawns 'out of the way' for the week.   No sign of him yet.   We had a ten minute very heavy shower at tea time yesterday so perhaps he is giving the sun an hour's start on his labours.

Why did I think that?   I smiled and imagined him up and down the lawn with his mighty (but noisy) mower - sword-like it definitely is - all our discussions on the beauty of Birds' Foot Trefoil - in full bloom - and white clover and our disagreement over these two versus how the lawn looks are for nothing where that saying is concerned.   The sword wins every time.

One third grass, one third white clover, one third BFT (or Lady's Fingers as I prefer to call it as a hark back to my childhood) - all three in full June flow are for nothing - after he attacks it it will for a day or two be three thirds lawn grass.   Then it will be back to how it chooses to be.   So forget the quotation (and its application to many more situations I suppose)

So lets move with my streaming brain on to the tongue.  I switched on at 9pm to watch Elton John at Glastonbury.   Sorry Cro, I have to disagree - he was magnificent.  Walking (very badly I thought but he is after all 76) out onto that stage in his silver suit in front of literally thousands of cheering fans he from that moment on brought the house down.  Make no mistake - as Olly Alexander (Years and Years Frontman) said of him- 'his impact on music cannot be overstated'.

I  am a musician (of sorts) and by his age had given my piano to my son because my arthritic fingers could no longer do Schubert's Impromptus justice. In my book you either play properly ( and practise every mistake over and over until you don't make it) or you don't play.   I watched his fingers on the keyboard - they were magic.

As for his 'Candle in the Wind' at the end - surely I wasn't the only one to watch and listen with tears streaming down my cheeks for a variety of reasons.  I am not ashamed to say that they are doing so now as I write this.  My brain made associations not just with |Princess Diana but with a whole variety of people 'loved and lost'.

The people opposite where I live went on holiday with their caravan yesterday to a site they love which is a couple  of miles from Glastonbury.   I am sure as they settled in they would be able to hear every word and sound.  But for sure they would sleep better after it was all over.

I heard on Breakfast this morning that it will take several hundred workers six hours to clear up the rubbish today - after which it will be back to green fields for another year and the people in the many houses close to the venue will get good night's sleep again.   But at least for three days and nights they got free entertainment whether they liked it or not - and they didn't have to pay £335 to get it - but they missed perhaps the most important thing of all - the incredible atmosphere and the sight of all those zany people (of all ages - they were not by any means all young) going 'off the scale'.  (best to draw a veil over the many 'goings on' other than the music.   I might be 90 but in some areas I am as innocent as a 5 year old).

See you tomorrow.

19 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

Much as I love music of all kinds, I did sit through the two hours of Elton John, but not being a great fan of his, got little inspiration from his performance. I thought that he played the songs too fast, it all seemed quite rushed and as it only took him 35 mins to get home to Windsor by helicopter, perhaps he needed the toilet.
By the way, wasn't his suit gold, not silver.

Anonymous said...

I would never dream of NOT reading your posts Pat. I look forward to them every day. I am 65 and live in the US so a little too young for Woodstock here in the states. I enjoy all the music of the era though. I do love a lot of Elton John's songs. Thanks for being there for all of us and for sharing your life. We are all the better for having "known" you. Jackie in Georgia

Ursula said...

Steady on, Jackie in Georgia. Surely the correct phrasing is "we are all the better for knowing you".

U

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek You may well be right about the colour of his suit. My eyesight is deteriorating and - I have just made an appointment to see the Optician! Sorry you didn't enjoy Elton - I am not particularly a fan and don't know his music at all; I was just amazed at his dexterity and the fact that he could keep his voice going for two hours at his age. My singing voice gives out after five minutes.

Jackie - thank you for your kind words.

Ursula said...

Pat, "stream of consciousness" is good. It shows who we really are - not a facade.

I am amazed Elton John is "still standing" (one of his song titles).

Well, YOU, Pat, are most certainly still standing. Unlike my mother. Don't ask. And no, she is not ill or demented or anything. It's one thing to grieve for the dead, it's another to grieve for the living.

Some human relationships can be likened to ivy eroding the mortar of brickwork.

U

thelma said...

I think it is rather sweet that those who have grown old with Glastonbury are still flocking to listen to the music. Did not listen myself, I find it too loud but Elton is part of our culture. For some funny reason it reminds me of the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony a drawing together of our culture.

Sal said...

I thought that Elton was magnificent! He’s a consummate performer and in spite of his age, he was still able to belt it out, unlike many of his age. He was able to hold the crowd’s attention and no doubt they all went home with a good dose of the feel good factor. As a student, I went to many music festivals and gigs and I loved every minute of it all! It’s an escape from the every day stresses and strains and somewhere to let your hair down, forget your worries, meet up with like minded people and have fun!
After Elton, I managed to catch up with Cat Stevens, who I thought was superb…and what a very nice man! It was a good few days…I loved it all…but my husband refused to watch any of it…but that’s his loss! 😁

Susan said...

I also like: "Actions speak louder than words." Actions by an individual provide a full reveal. Words not so much. I have not seen EJ in a very long time and did not know he still did concerts. I do love his lyrics in Candle in the Wind. Your grass displaying 3 types of seed sounds outstanding. My grass is blue grass and white clover.

Rachel Phillips said...

Kind of knocks on the head what you said about music in your life the other day. I guess some of popular culture seeped in via osmosis once upon a time.

A Smaller and Simpler Life said...

I wouldn't dream of 'giving it a miss' ... I'll go with the flow and be entertained by your words as I usually am each day.

I think Elton John is absolutely amazing to still be entertaining us at such a ripe old age. ;-) Both he and Tom Jones seem to have held on to their singing voices very well for mature gentlemen.

Granny Sue said...

I enjoyed reading about the ongoing debate with your gardener. It is the same here: I beg him to leave the white clover, violets, blues, buttercup while they are in bloom, but once he is on the mower all hope is lost.
I imagine Glastonbury is a huge thing in England, but we avoid big festivals. They are just too tiring. If we had TV we might have watched a bit. I know Fisherman's Friends were playing and would have liked to hear them, as they are a favorite of mine. I hope one day to see and hear them in person.

Daisy Debs said...

Yes I agree with you about Candle in the Wind ..very moving . I really enjoyed Cat Stevens ....do try and watch his performance if you can 🎢🎢

Rachel Phillips said...

Did Cro say somewhere that he saw Elton John?

John Going Gently said...

Elton john is the most unattractive man
But he’s a show gal for sure

I love these meandering blogs of yours x

Jan Bx said...

I thought Elton John was brilliant. Definitely embedded in our culture. Still a great performer and with a brilliant band.

Debby said...

Oh I will have to see if I can find Cat Stevens.

Heather said...

I saw an aerial photo of Glastonbury and the crowds must have been horrific. I don't doubt that Elton John was the best musician there, and remember a cousin of mine who was a classically trained pianist remarking on what a good musician he was, though their choice of music was very different. What a treat for all and sundry there to have dry conditions and warm weather for a change.
Mercifully it was cooler down here today with a lovely fresh breeze so I managed to stay awake all day!

The Weaver of Grass said...





THANK YOU AS ALWAYS

Cro Magnon said...

I'm sad to say that I turned off before Elton came on stage; I shouldn't have. No, it was all the earlier stuff that I thought was awful. There were some great musicians, and some great voices, but the actual music was dire!