Saturday 10 June 2023

Sunny, warm Saturday.

 Not a day for serious thinking - one of those rare sunny, warm but not too hot, blissful days when it is just built for 'lolling about'.  Unfortunately my skeletal layout no longer lends itself to lolling.   Those loungers on most peoples patios, just meant for days like this, are absent from my garage (in Winter) patio (in Summer).   I suppose I could with great difficulty get down on to one but I know for certain I could not get upright again without falling in the process.   The ground is desperate for water.   Most farmers have completed first (and best) cut silage but now the fields are turning brown so second cut looks  a long way off.

The patch of ground opposite my bungalow is a sea of grass which has gone to seed.   Only then can I see that all kinds of grass are mixed together.   If I was a bit more agile I would walk across and cut a bundle so that I could see exactly what was there,   As it is I just love to see it waving gently in the slight breeze. And thinking about grass, does anyone remember a quite short, slender grass which had separate tiny seed heads?   We used to hunt for it as kids - we called it 'tottering Johnnie' - I haven't seen any for years.   Any ideas?

The slim black cat who prowls the area is spending a lot of time wandering up and down alongside the grass.   Every now and then she stops and peers into it and I wonder what she can hear.   Some small creature rustling around I guess and I want to be able to speak 'mouse' or whatever to warn it not to come near enough to the edge for her to pounce.   I dare say to her, standing stock still on the path and watching is like us facing a tall forest.

At least a tall forest here would hold nothing dangerous - unlike some of the National Parks in Canada and the US where BEWARE OF BEARS is real and on the occasions  when I have been in such a situation has certainly deterred me from putting a foot forward!

And speaking of forests there is an amazing story this morning of four children aged something like 1, 4, 11 and 13 - the only survivors of a plane crash in which their mother and 2 pilots were killed - who have been found alive deep in a forest (I think in South America somewhere) after a month of searching.  I think  they belong to an indigenous tribe from the area, which may have helped as such folk often have a fund of knowledge about what can be eaten from the vegetation in the surrounding area. Quite miraculous.

Lunch calls (Prawn salad).   Sorry to have rambled on so and said really nothing.   See you tomorrow when, hopefully, something worth saying will have arrived in my brain cells.

20 comments:

Tom Stephenson said...

Yes, those kids surviving was amazing. Your first bit reminded me of 'Cider with Rosie', Weave.

Rachel Phillips said...

Interesting, I must take a look at the children surviving. It sounds like it might make a film one day. The weather is lovely here but I won't be lounging in it. I don't have a lounger and don't like sunbathing. The barley is out in ear in Norfolk and havest is only weeks away.

GG said...

I can longer get up from a lounger so sit on my patio chair under an umbrella. Have had skin cancer so no more sunning for me. My daughter lives in northern Ontario and often sees a bear walk past her house. Sometimes a moose comes out of the woods when the bugs are bad, which is right now. I worry about her going for walks. We are having a lovely day today, got about a squirt of rain yesterday. The smoke from forest fires has gone for now so I will go to our yacht club for the 45th anniversary celebration. My late hubby joined in the first year and helped with construction. Have a good day Weave!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

It sounds like Tottering Johnny is another name for Quaking Grass, or Totter Grass as we used to call it. It's still around but perhaps there was more of it in Lincolnshire than in Yorkshire.

Derek Faulkner said...

At last, here on Sheppey after weeks of cold NE winds, we have a proper hot and sunny day, with more to come and it's much appreciated.
Like your area, the ground here is rock hard and cracking up and so no more can be added to the garden, can't get a trowel in it! Winter corn and barley are only a few weeks away from harvest, very early this year.
All the year 130,year old heifers on the reserve have been artificially inseminated this year, for the second year running, bulls are only put in with them in mid-summer to catch any heifers that didn't become pregnant from the A.I.

Debby said...

They were indigenous, belonging to the Huitoto people. Still, for two children to have the presence of mind to care for a baby and a four year old under such terrifying circumstances is nothing short of amazing. I read that last night and Tim and I both found that story wonderfully cheering!

It is dry here, as well, but we have a weeks worth of rain coming next week. Bring it on!

JayCee said...

I would love to have been lounging outside all this week in the warm sunshine but my hay fever says No!

Barbara Anne said...

Fret not, Pat, your posts are always a delight. I, too, was amazed to read about those children who were lost for a month.
Our cats would sit immobile for ages waiting for a vole to show itself. We were glad to be rid of as many voles as they could catch.
The air quality in our part of Virginia is much improved today and that's a relief. The problems caused north of us due to the smoke from Canada in the air are quite worrisome.

Hugs!

Hilary said...

There is some question about those children......if in fact they are really alive, or if the whole thing is a scam........hard to believe they survived in the jungle that long. Would love to know more.

Heather said...

How amazing that those children managed to stay alive in such a hostile environment for so long. What a responsibility for the oldest child.
The little grasses you mention - did they gave tiny dark brown seed heads? I remember similar ones from my childhood and always thought they were rather special.
I no longer sit in the sun, but a nice patch of shade and a comfy chair would get me out there. We have thunderstorms forecast plus heavy rain, which will please the farmers and gardeners, as long as it doesn't do any damage.

Ellen D. said...

I've been away for 2 nights and so I had to catch up with your posts. You have been very talkative and have shared some very fun posts! I am not superstitious but enjoyed reading about everyone's family traditions! Keep up the terrific posts, Pat! Thanks!

Red said...

I enjoy your rambling posts. You could visit and talk all day.

Damselfly said...

You paint such delightful & vivid scenes with words!

Susan said...

I hope you get some rain soon. We had occasional sunshine, rain showers and downpours all week including today (Saturday). Everything is green and growing. Tall grass swaying in the breeze is lovely. Cats love tall grass and their mouse stalking, then pounce is fascinating to watch.

Joanne Noragon said...

I read that story this morning, with pictures of the children, of whom I could see three.
We need rain badly. If Debbie is having rain next week, we should shave rain soon after.

Cro Magnon said...

Yes, that story of the children was quite miraculous, especially as all the adults were killed in the crash.

thelma said...

They followed the nappies at one stage. That says it all, caring older children. It is always good to read an uplifting story.

Anonymous said...

The hardest part of looking after our grandaughter three days a week (she goes to childcare other days) is getting up and down off the floor. We do long days and nights, but there is quite a lot of 'oomphs' involved. I always need a chair close for leverage. Pre having her in our lives I couldn't even do that.
There are many grandies doing this important work as childcare fees are high, as are mortgages for the young ones, and interest rates continue to rise at an alarming rate. I would have found it easier at 50 rather than 70, but 'that's the way the cookie crumbles' ( at the same rate as my spine I think!!). I do love that little angel, immeasurably.- Pam, Aust.

Librarian said...

We heard that story about the children surviving (in Columbia, I believe) yesterday morning, too, and like Rachel, I thought this is surely going to be made into a film.
In my area, tünot a single drop of rain fell between May 15 and June 8. A thunderstorm that day brought some relief, but you can imagine the state of our woods, fields and gardens.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Joanne - the fourth one - the baby - was being cradled in the arms of one of the rescuers.

Thanks everyone - lovely to get replies to such a rambling post!
And thanks John - it is indeed Quaking Grass - have never seen it in North Yorkshure - maybe doesn't like soil conditions.