Sunday 11 June 2023

Which regime???

 I had a very minor accident yesterday lunch time.   I closed the door of the fridge and left my leg in the way.   Pulling up   my trouser leg to look if it had broken the skin on my ankle I found that not only had it broken the skin, it had shaved the top layer of skin off, leaving a small triangular 'wound'.  In ordinary circumstances just a nuisance and best ignored (I'm sure you have all done something similar once or twice- I certainly have).  But these days I don't deal in the 'ordinary'.   Boy was it bleeding - puthering out - straight down into my shoe.

There were tissues on my walking trolley,  I grabbed one and pressed on the wound hoping to stem the bleeding but as I take Clopidogrel to thin my blood it wasn't programmed to stop 'just like that'.

Picure the scene - me poised mid-kitchen, holding on to trolley with one hand while the other hand was (hopefully) stemming the blood.   I can't walk without both hands on the trolley.

I eventually struggled to a kitchen chair and sat down, lifting the offending leg on to a nearby kitchen chair.   I could have pressed my Lifeline button but didn't feel it was fair to ask the person on duty to drive from Northallerton for such a stupid reason.

Eventually the bleeding stopped, to be replaced by a watery, colourless discharge which I should know by name but have forgotten.

My son came round, equipped with a smart first aid zip-up bag, sprayed it with Melolin and put on a loose dressing so that it was covered but the air could still get at it.  (I am a great believer in fresh air being the best cure for such things.)

I spent the rest of the day with my leg up so couldn't do my daily walk aimed at getting my mobility improved. I slept with that leg out of  bed on top of the duvet  and laying on a towel (long before this the dressing had fallen off soaked through by said 'colourlessliquid'.)

It doesn't hurt and looks fine this morning but when I walk 'colourless liquid' flows freely so leg up again(it stops then).

This may sound like  a 'storm in a teacup' but old ladies (yes I am old even if I feel 30 inside)  and men too, easily get leg ulcers - and that is a road I am now trying hard to make a road not taken.

Onward and upward I say.   The computer room window is open, the blackbirds are singing, the garden is shouting out ' we are thirsty' but no thunder clouds in sight so far.  And 'Gloire de Vivre' - my only rose, is covered in buds about to burst into bloom.   So all's right in this part of the world at any rate.

See you tomorrow.


35 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

I have never heard the word puthering. Is it Yorkshire dialect? It isn't in Chambers. I guess you may need the visit of a nurse to dress your wound. They still do that around here. Take care.

Tom Stephenson said...

I had not heard of 'puthering' either, although I knew immediately what it means.

JayCee said...

I think that liquid is called serous fluid. If there is a lot of it you may need to see a nurse.

John Going Gently said...

Keep a close eye on it
Do you have a district nurse weekly visit ?
If so show it her/him

Caz.P. said...

keep an eye on your leg. Puthering is a word my mum used. We are Derbyshire tho. I do enjoy reading your blog.

gz said...

John GG is right...take care x

the veg artist said...

I'd get it checked out too. Sooner rather than later!

thelma said...

Following everyone you do need some expert, whether doctor or nurse, to look at the wound and give you advice.

Barbara Rogers said...

I had a similar wound, and had only the cream kind of antibiotic...bandaid to keep it clean...but it wasn't scabbing like it should with air healing it (I agree with that plan.) Anyway, I finally got it to scab and then the redness around it of my skin said it was wanting to be infected. Then eventually with many times getting it wet with running water, scab was gone and it could finally heal...redness finally disappeared. When I showed it to my Dr. they said I'd just been on antibiotics so they didn't want to give me any more. (That had been pneumonia at home which did clear up finally.) Sorry this has been so long. I'm only 80 compared to your year count, but am also thinking I'm 30 so we're enjoying that part of our lives.

Melinda from Ontario said...

You managed extraordinarily well considering you only had one free hand to staunch the flow of blood. You are a tough woman!

Tasker Dunham said...

Press for help if you feel strange or light-headed. I put lots of savlon on wounds like that because of what happened to a friend of ours who developed sepsis (blood poisoning) (he's ok now).

Debby said...

An ounce of prevention, etc. etc. If your concern is for a wound becoming ulcerous, you do need to keep a close eye on it. At the very least, you should call a nurse. She might have tips on what you should be watching carefully for. She might suggest that you come in to be looked at. I think given your situation, a second opinion cannot go amiss.

Yellow Shoes said...

You acted without panic and did all the right things.
Good that your son was soon by your side.
I also think the accident should be mentioned to your GP or Practice Nurse if practible.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

As everyone else has advised: get a nurse to keep an eye on it and dress it for you when necessary.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Shall ring the surgery in the morning. Thank you for your advice.

Barbara Anne said...

You certainly did well after injuring your leg and am glad you'll report it to your doctor tomorrow. Yes, that clear stuff is serous fluid but that shouldn't still be seeping out of the wound.

I've noticed that we heal more slowly as we age so this may take a while to go away. Just think back to how quickly small children heal!

Hugs!

Susan said...

Accidents happen when we least expect them. You are doing everything right by also having the surgery check this out.

Terra said...

You are wise in taking this wound seriously, as seniors we don't want a wound problem to develop. I hope you have a doctor or nurse take a look at it today just to be sure.

Rachel Phillips said...

What is the heading about?

Heather said...

What a nuisance for you, but at least you took the right precautions. The sun is shining in my neck of the woods after a very stuffy and overcast day with quite a few lovely showers. No thunderstorms.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - do I rest my leg all day or do I walk to keep up my walking skills.

Thanks everyone

Rachel Phillips said...

I think for the time being you rest with your leg up. The serum will run for a while and I would guess that rest will aid the healing in the first instance. Opening and closing the wound with movement will not help it is my common sense opinion.

Country Cottage said...

Yes, you did the right thing Pat but do have a nurse check it out especially with the heat we are having.

Granny Sue said...

You did well handling the wound alone, but I am relieved that you are going to call the surgery in the morning. Better safe, you know. Hugs.

Red said...

Elderly people have to be very careful about injuries. We bruise very easily and the bruise stays for a long time. I hope everything goes well.

Joanne Noragon said...

I have made that injury too many times, too many places. I hope yours heals soon and well.

Anonymous said...

All the best for your GP visit Pat.
Wound management is taken seriously for the elderly, so never be concerned about consulting your Lifeline button staff, or calling an ambulance for an assessment. It is not wasting their time. It is their job, and they do a thorough assessement of everything, including blood pressure, heart rate etc, with your son, wonderful as he is, for their back up and clarification. Wishing you well - not a nice thing to happen, but you kept calm- well done.
- Pam, Aust.

Cro Magnon said...

Oh poor you. I managed to stab myself yesterday whilst pruning a palm tree, but nothing my hankie couldn't deal with. Aren't sons wonderful, I am ever grateful for mine; he has proved a blessing many times.

Librarian said...

Having the wound looked after professionally is the best advice people have been giving you here, and I second them.
O.K.'s mum is a few years younger than you (she's 83), but like you, she is on blood-thinning medication, and even the tiniest scratch (which frequently happens with their crazy cat) needs proper attention.
I hope your wound heals well, and you can take up the walking regime soon again.

Frances said...

I am originally from Leicester and I know the word puthering! Hope that you can get some professional help with your wound. I agree with Pam re calling on your lifeline,it is what they are there for and what you pay for !

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. I find my doctors surgery is having a training day today so the Nurse will have to wait until tomorrow, but the 'wound' is looking much better today.

Rambler said...

I'm another Leicestershire Lass and 'puthering' is a word I've heard and used my whole life - unfortunately, not so much since I decamped to Cornwall, 'cos they don't understand the word here! Rather shocked that Training Day means no nurses/doctors available all day! Wishing you well and that it all heals cleanly and healthily.

Totalfeckineejit said...

Robert Frost would be proud!

The Weaver of Grass said...

TFE How lovely to hear from you after all this time. Do call again.



Thank you all.

Frugal in Bucks said...

Moist wound healing is more effective. Lots of info online. https://www.woundsource.com/blog/clearing-air-about-moist-vs-dry-wound-healing
Best of luck.