Wednesday 14 June 2023

This and (hopefully) that!

In other words can't think of a topic today.   Pure unbroken blue sky, hot but helped by a sharpish wind blowing from the East which cools us down nicely.

My phone gave up the ghost so I ordered another one on line.   It has just come; trussed up like the crown jewels on the move - so much packaging and all sealed with a very strong glue.   To stop pilferers I guess but if they had struck they would have been disappointed to find that all they had in the box was what my son calls 'a very old non smart push-button affair' - cost under £40 but suits my needs perfectly. The blurb on the notes about putting in my old Sim card is too complicated for me so I shall wait for my son to call.

'Gloire de Vivre' - my sole rose - has burst into life today with eight perfect blooms - sadly in full sun so I had better make the most of them - they will be gone in a day if this sun keeps on (still the same would be true if it poured with rain so I suppose c'est la vie.)

The cut on my leg progresses well.   A Nursing Sister came - charming lady.   She was equipped with a lap top and spent half an hour building up a profile of me to put on the Data Base - weighed me, measured my height, discussed and noted things like my 'Do Not Resuscitate' card and where I kept my yellow envelope.   She put a dressing on the 'wound' (even to call it that is somewhat of an exaggeration) and is coming again on Friday.  By then she expects it to be healed.   From now on a nurse will call each Friday to keep an eye on me.

I have two Hydrangea 'Cloud Nine' coming today (I hope) - one for me and one for friends S and T - a thank you for a lovely day out last week and a reminder of a small tree we spotted which we think might be at least a relation.   I do hope they arrive today because transit in this weather can't be good for plants.   As I typed this there was a sharp rap on the front door but by the time I got there the delivery man had departed and the box holding the said plants was on the step.   They were, as always with Thompson and Morgan, well - packed but they were warm (but damp) so I spent time unpacking them and they now sit in the garage in the shade and out of the quite strong wind - tiny little shrubs but they look sturdy enough.   Now to send S an e mail to ask her to pop round and take one home.

Well, for me at least, a busy day with lots of moving about rather then sitting; I shall make myself a cup of tea and put my feet up for an hour until W, tonight's carer. comes.

See you tomorrow.   Sleep well if you can in this hot, sticky weather. 

21 comments:

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy New Phone!
Buying online can be a challenge. Once ordered, my phone disappeared in transit. Store bought, up and running before I was out the door.
I still don't know all the features.
If I can tap a button or icon to get where I want to go, then I don't need to know all the fancy stuff.

gz said...

Good to hear that your leg has been dressed..and now you will have another visitor to look forward to!

I am trying to persuade my Pirate to get a new phone..all he wants is the same again, but working. However they don't make them any more. Well done you for getting the phone you need!

the veg artist said...

I only use my mobile to receive those annoying messages giving me a code so I can spend my own money online! I know it's necessary to combat fraud, but things do seem to be getting more and more annoying. The nurses visits sound really good, something else to look forward to.

Rachel Phillips said...

I am guessing that your mobile phone did not give up the ghost due to over use. I hope you have what you require with your new one when you get the sim card switched over. I am glad you have been able to answer in positive ways about the nurse attending to your leg wound.

Barbara Anne said...

So glad you have a new phone and a handy son to come to set it up for you!

What a delightful gift the hydrangea is to give S and T in thanks for the pleasant day out. Those plants will bring you, S, and T great joy as they grow and bloom!

It's good to have the nurse come to check your wound and she'll be another welcome soul to come for a visit and see to your welfare.

Hope gentle rain comes everywhere its needed!

Hugs!

Bea said...

Glad your cut is healing nicely.
I so enjoyed your description of the phone packaging--it's really A LOT, isn't it?
Take care, bea

Damselfly said...

"Gloire de Vivre" rose is a glorious & iconic beauty! And eight blooms at once? I'm envious!
Good to hear your leg is healing well and checked by the nurse.
Hope your area will see some rain soon, as well as cooler temperatures.

Jennifer said...

I've just gotten caught up on your last few posts, Pat. I hope your leg is healing well! I'm sorry that happened. Enjoy your new phone and the rose!

Tasker Dunham said...

I have a dumb phone too. The previous one is so old it doesn't ever have a sim cart to transfer. Bought in 2003, but it still works.

Debby said...

It is cool here. I've worn a sweater all day. It is supposed to be 11c tonight.

Joanne Noragon said...

We are far too cool, but probably will pay for it going forwad.

Red said...

Nice that this lady showed up to treat you and set you up for a regular program. Here it's called home care...probably the same there.

Cro Magnon said...

We keep two bedroom windows open, and last night there was a lovely gentle breeze sweeping through.

Librarian said...

Good thing to have regular visits from a nurse. My mother-in-law in Ripon has them, too; she is a couple of years younger than you but has been diabetic for many years, and several other (not all related) health issues.
Your friends will love their thank-you-gift!
Roses in full bloom - your garden must look particularly beautiful right now.

Jules said...

It's good to know your leg is healing well.
It is very warm here at the moment, so the breeze felt lovely yesterday. X

thelma said...


it most definitely is getting cool here, I notice in Northern Ireland they are experiencing loads of gorse fires. Luckily the winter rains must have done the moors in Yorkshire some good.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Glad to hear that wound on your leg is healing nicely. That sounds just the kind of phone that I like.

Tom Stephenson said...

I still miss my old Nokia. It had 'Snakes', you know...

The Weaver of Grass said...

My last ordered parcel hs arrived - the doorbell went and as I got up to go to the door the post lady called to say she had popped it through the door. How good it is to live in a small, friendly community. Thanks for the chat everyone.

Derek Faulkner said...

First decent spell of warm and sunny weather and already people are complaining about the heat, mind you, the same people complained about the cold and wet.
Nice to see that you are getting the sort of medical treatment that you should be getting, something that used to be normal for all of us at one time.

Heather said...

Good to hear that your leg is healing and that you have a nurse coming to visit as well as
your carer. Hope the new phone will be 'user friendly'. I hope you will have some cooler nights enabling a good night's sleep.