Tuesday 20 June 2023

Proper rain

I honestly can't remember when we last had 'proper' rain.   We have had plenty of black skies resulting in about a dozen heavy drops; we have had plenty of drizzle;  but this morning the sky promised rain at seven and by eight it was good, old-fashioned 'downpour' rain without being heavy enough to batter.   And not a puff of wind.   The 'imaginary' sound of light, flowery singing from my back garden was beautiful and in harmonic duet with the garden birds (still no robin).

Now, at three o'clock bits of blue are showing above, the clouds are drifting Northward and there is that clean, 'after rain' smell in the air. A perfect English Summer's Day.   I do hope it stopped at Edgbaston soon enough to allow the first Test Match to conclude.

I have only been vertical for a couple of hours.   I have had a string of very bad nights with heat causing my shingles 'scars' to be sore and my right leg being uncomfortable (I think I have somehow pulled a muscle).    I got up, washed and dressed with my Carer's help at seven and sat in the chair to read The Times but I couldn't keep awake.  After half an hour of 'nodding off' I went back under the duvet and woke up just after 1pm feeling very disorientated but got up and had lunch.   Since then I have done one or two tidying jobs and read your posts.   In another hour W, another carer, will be here to ready me for bed - a short day but I shall stay up until ten.

What a sad story about the submarine down looking for/at the wreck of the Titanic - they hadn't found it by the one o'clock news and time is fast running out.  The remaining oxygen supply is fast running out.   The Atlantic is a big place.

W, my carer with Bengal cats. is missing a cat and I rather think she has taken up semi-residence in my garden.   A stripey she-cat was on the patio wall most of the day yesterday and I watched her eating something she had - presumably- caught although whether fur or feather I was too far away to see.   Her owner is tonight's carer so I am hoping both call at the same time.

The day after tomorrow would have been my farmer's eightieth birthday - wish he was here to celebrate it.   I shall be thinking of him and all the happy times we had together.

See you tomorrow. 

20 comments:

Barbara Anne said...

Isn't it lovely to have proper rain after so many drips, drabs, and then torrential downpours? The same is forecast for our area in the coming few days and so hope the rain falls properly!

We've watched the reports of the missing Titanic touring sub with trepidation.

I hope the cat in your garden is your carer's missing cat. Wouldn't that be sweet?

Hugs!

crafty cat corner said...

I also have had several bad nights sleeping and spent another hour and half sleeping at 10.30 a.m.after not being able to keep my eyes open.
I guess it's par for the course when we age that things don't go as planned.
As for the rain, whoopee, at last, I almost heard the roses singing. lol
Briony
x

Damselfly said...

Good to hear you've had a proper rain, and the temperatures have been lower. Love that clean "after rain" scent! We're having the same today, and I look forward to taking a walk later.
Wishing you a good night's sleep, uninterrupted and sound.

A Smaller and Simpler Life said...

It's very disorientating when you wake up at a strange time after a daytime nap isn't it.

As an ex-submariner Alan is finding the news of the missing submarine very hard to take. Those poor people.

Rachel Phillips said...

It rained almost every day and/or night in April and we all got more than our monthly average. It rained on Coronation Day I remember. Then it went dry.

thelma said...

We had good rain today, my plants are happy. The poor people on the small submarine took a decision and signed the papers to go down to see the wreck. Titanic seems to hold a terrible fascination for some but lets hope this story will have a decent ending.

Country Cottage said...

It's lovely to look back on good memories albeit tinged with sadness that your farmer is no longer with you. We had a couple of hours rain this morning but a warm afternoon resulting in a rather muggy evening. Still, the garden certainly enjoyed the rain.

John Going Gently said...

Heavy rain here too
I love the smell of the grass

Granny Sue said...

Rainy day after a rainy night here in West Virginia. It was desperately needed, and I am grateful.
My birthday is tomorrow, so I will be thinking of your farmer. And my cousin Les, brother of John of Stargoose And Hanglands, shares your farmer's birthday.

Heather said...

I have been prepared for rain each morning as I set out for my little stroll, but in spite of clouds we haven't had a drop, though I swear I have smelt rain at times. It seems to be very localised as someone living a few miles away tells of 'biblical' downpours. We shall have to be patient..
I do hope your leg and shingle rash will leave you in peace tonight. I still get a few 'shingle tingles' if I overdo things sometimes.
Hope your carer finds her cat. It's a horrid feeling when a pet goes missing.

the veg artist said...

We seem to have dodged most of the showers. Pity. I'm regretting siting the veg garden quite so far from the house, as there's no way I'll carry enough water from the house if we have a hosepipe ban. This is West Wales. It is supposed to rain!

Anonymous said...

Hope you can feel more on top of things soon Pat. Husband and I have not had the best of health recently.
It is not how we envisioned our retirement - we thought we would be much more active, and my garden is looking a bit neglected at the moment. We are grateful for the health we have however, as I know you are too. I remember your posts about you and the Farmer and life on the farm. Then, as now, those posts reflected a real sense of community. Big hug to you - Pam.

Red said...

we've had six days of rain. It can stop anytime . I t was terribly dry here so the rain was welcome.

Susan said...

Your rain was very welcomed. The garden and the fields must look great after a good rain. The submarine and passengers have vanished. Sadly, something has gone terribly wrong. I hope you have a better sleep tonight.

Joanne Noragon said...

The news tonight hold little hope for the submarine. How I hope they are wrong.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for a pleasant chat at 4AM!! I am not complaining - I alept the sleep of the good y4esterday from 9amm to about 1pm so I can't complain. How odd the world feels at 4 in the morning in Solstice Day!

Cro Magnon said...

I really feel so sorry for those folk aboard the submarine. They say it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I fear there's little hope of finding them; regardless of all our wonderful technology. I didn't like the way they kept referring to one of the 'tourists' as a billionaire; it was almost as if they thought his life more important than the others!

Tom Stephenson said...

You might be back to sleep by the time I have posted this, Weave. If ever I can snatch a nap in the hot afternoon, I do. I do NOT want to go in any submarine, let alone one as small as the lost one. I really hope they are found in time.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Agree with you Cro and also you Tom. I think the chances of finding them is 1%

Thanks everyone.

Debby said...

I read today that they have picked up 'banging noises' on sonar. That is hopeful, isn't it? But I do have to say that just imagining their desperation makes me sick. I'm with Tom. You would not catch me going on a trip like that.