Tuesday 14 November 2023

Minor crisis

 Yesterday was quite a day here.   First of all the storm arrived (forgotten whether we are still with Storm Debbie or whether we have moved on to the next letter of the alphabet).   With the almost 24 hours of heavy rain came ferocious gales blowing from a slightly unusual direction.   It was a really unpleasant day - even the usual dogs didn't come out until mid-morning when there was a 10 minute break of sunshine which coincided with a visit from my Chiropodist which gave me a legitimate excuse to sit with my feet up and view what was going on outside. Then the storm came back if anything stronger than before.

When I went into the garage to take something into the recycling bin quite a sight awaited me.   The garage is a brick one and is attached to the side of the bungalow.   The wind had blown the rain into a gap in the flashing and water was trickling down the wall which houses all of the electrics.   I feared a sudden stop to all heating and lighting.

I rang British Gas emergency line (well as far as I was concerned it was an emergency to me) but they were not at all helpful and told me to contact an electrician. (I buy my electricity from British Gas)

Luckily I always use the same chap - P - who lives nearby.   I rang him.   By this time my relief carer had come to help me get ready for bed (I sit in my dressing gown in the winter evenings) but I said I would ready myself as I didn't fancy standing in the garage with P without at least a cardigan and shawl on.

Half an hour later P arrived, surveyed the situation and took emergency measures of rigging up a sheet of heavy-duty plastic which covered the electrics and diverted any trickle of rainwater out on to the garage floor (it wasn't a constant trickle, only when blown in by the gale).  He said he would return this morning.

Instead he rang me to say A, a roofer, would call and survey the scene.   At lunch time A arrived, got out a ladder, took out the flashing all the way along where the garage joins the bungalow (not raining by this time) and re did the flashing with a waterproof silicone.  He surveyed the roof and said the felt did need replacing but really not at this time of the year.   So this is in his book for early Spring but he assures me the felt will be alright until then.  He also looked at the ridge tiles along the bungalow roof and says they are in urgent need of re-conreting in.  This he will do at the first available opportunity - ie a gap in this awful weather and a promise of a couple of frost-free nights.

I paid him for the work he did this morning, he promised to send me quotes but I told him to put both jobs in his "Jobs to be done" book anyway.

It proved one thing to me.   If you find a good, trustworthy tradesman (my son recommended P, the electrician, who does any electrical work for him - and now for me too) stick with him.   Now P has recommended a good, reliable roofer,A.

I can't tell you how relieved I am today and how grateful I am to them both for jumping in during an emergency.  I shall sleep well tonight.  I have just sent both a thank=you text.

26 comments:

Heather said...

That must have been quite alarming for you. Thank Heaven for trusty tradesmen. I hope today hasn't been as challenging for your part of the country weatherwise. I managed to time my trip to the recycling bins and Tesco very well and although the sky looked threatening I got home dry. However, later in the day we had torrential rain for a while, and then the skies cleared just to taunt us.
Sleep well.x

Poppy and Me said...

How lucky to find good tradesmen, I always keep a list of good tradesmen as jobs get done correctly and charges are fair. luckily I now have a neibour who turns his hand to most things even a spot of gardening, so now I have a Tony list. Today as I went to ask him to do some small jobs I met him coming to ask if I had anything on my Tony list, great minds think the same. so soon I shall be able to pull my curtains properly and he is very handy with a mastic gun!!!

Granny Sue said...

How fortunate that both men were available! It's a wonder they hadn't been called out to other such emergencies. Your weather sounds awful. I do hope you get a let-up soon.

Yellow Shoes said...

Skilled tradespeople are worth their weight in gold.
Through my hairdresser we now have an excellent local painter/decorator.
Through Facebook we now have an excellent local electrician.
And so on.
Building up contacts as we get older to help with all these vital jobs is so important.
You have done this and it’s working well.

Susan said...

For me, a leak is always concerning and water travels. You managed this perfectly well with an excellent tradesman that took action swiftly. I suspect all will be done to perfection. Good job Pat.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Glad that was sorted quickly, water and electric are never a good mix

the veg artist said...

Always have a handy man (or woman) to hand!!

Debby said...

How nice that you had someone who could handle it right away! We had a problem with our roof. We had several contractors take a look (it was a 3 story and I did not want Tim on it). After consideration, we selected one who said he would be out in early June. After several assurances that he was not going to leave us hanging, that is exactly what he did. We were very luck to find another roofer who did it as a favor. Your tradesmen are worth their weight in gold! But then, so are you!

Anonymous said...

I was going to say "Reliable professionals are priceless" but Yellow Shoes put it better with "skilled tradespeople are worth their weight in gold" (English is not my native language but it is a language I've always loved). This is why I tend to feel a bit vulnerable when I have to get my car checked and fixed : will the mechanic be reliable and trustworthy ? I sometimes think they will take us women for fools, totally unaware of car details... Anyway, I hope your problem is solved for good !
Maguy

Tasker Dunham said...

This is one of the advantages of living in a small town or village where people know each other and there is a sense of community.

Jennifer said...

A reliable, honest, and competent tradesman is a treasure. I'll pay a bit extra for such people any day, because they're worth it.

Barbara Anne said...

How good you thought to check for leaks due the intensity of the storm and that reliable repairmen were available right then.

Since we moved here a bit over twenty years ago, the best repairmen have been recommended by our next door neighbor and they're all related to her somehow! As we've gotten older, it's a jolt when those trusted repair guys have the audacity to retire. I mean, REALLY!

Hugs!

gz said...

Word of mouth is a good recommendation. Glad you are on their list now!

Maureen Reynolds said...

Amen to the blessing of a good worker! I pray they all have a long life!

Anonymous said...

This is the reason so many people here move into retirement communities. Of course nothing is perfect but the peace of mind that they are no longer responsible for a house helps them feel more calm. If everyone could be as lucky as you and live in such a wonderful community with local contacts, these retirement communities here in the U.S. would go out of business! Jackie

anonymous said...

You have the wonderful trait of letting folks know that you appreciate them, I think that's a large part of why people are ready and pleased to help you,Pat.My father supported our large family by being a carpenter that did whatever was needed to be sure a job was done the right way.I enjoyed having a Dad I could be proud of , -Mary

Tom Stephenson said...

I hope you can find a good plumber when you need one too Weave. They are scarce since Brexit.

Joanne Noragon said...

And the tradesmen are thankful for a loyal customer such as you.

Cro Magnon said...

We tend to have tradesmen who work for the whole street. When a good one comes along he is recommended to someone else, and so on. Eventually they become the road's plumber, electrician, etc. It's a system that works very well, and they have non-stop work.

Librarian said...

Your carers, your workmen, your friends and neighbours are all worth their weight in gold!

Casibon said...

Thank you for sharing your insightful perspective on this topic!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tom I have a Home Serve insurane poicy wih Yorkshire water - they are brilli
ant and come usually on the same day I ring. Why can I no longer get on to your posts?

Thanks everyone as we all agree recommendation means a lot and word gets around. As it happens a plumber, several builders, an electrician and two or three painters live on my estate - so I am lucky

Rachel Phillips said...

As far as I recall Weave you found Tom's latest post and left a comment.

hart said...

You are certainly right about a good workman. I think your kind treatment, not to mention the thank you notes, will help you to the top of their list in the next emergency.

Donna said...

I keep a book of all our favorite people...Don't use it often but nice to have when we do...
hugs
Donna

Mary said...

We need a new roof too! Planning to get estimates and have the work done early next year hopefully. Then a new deck required - always something with property, especially outdoor stuff thanks to weathering.
Hope all goes well for you dear Pat - so glad you have good workmen. . . . . and that they show up! These days that's the biggest problem around here, and very frustrating!
Mary x