Friday 17 November 2023

Delay

Sorry for the gap.   Slight lack of inspiration plus several days which have filled up with nothing special but time-consuming, here I am again - sitting at my computer on (at last) a morning of bright sunshine and blue sky.

Yesterday was a typical day when I really got nothing done but every minute was full.

Once my dear carer had gone I sat down with a coffee and waited for the paper to pop through the letter box.   After the fiasco earlier in the week when the paper boy put about two inches of The Times through the letter box on a pouring wet morning and I had to peg pages on the line and leave to dry before I could read it (does beg the question - did I really want to read it?) I had an hour to spare as the paper was late.   Only two inches through again - not raining luckily.

Did the Mind Games and the quick cryptic crossword.   Read the depressing first few pages of the main paper and as it was ten o'clock by this time I thought I would do a few needed chores before coffee and kit kat time.

I needed new ink for my printer.  My computer kept telling me that it couldn't find the site I always use - www.cartridgediscount.co.uk  so I popped over to Amazon Prime - too compicated.   Rang my son - he found cartridge discount immediately and sent me a link.   By this time 10.30.

There are hundreds of different printers/models/numbers etc.  I trawled through, found the Canon section,  clicked what I wanted, filled in endless details, got to the end and it told me to go back to the beginning as I was already a customer - or carry on as a 'guest'.   Stupidly decided to go back to the beginning - had forgotten my password! Chose to let them give me a computer generated one.   After trying to copy it into my password book several times  and missing out a dash or an exclamation mark or an asterisk - I abandoned the idea and decided to order as a guest,  Filled in everything again - got to end and it told me there was a mistake with my e mail address.   There was but I couldn't delete it for some reason.

At this point the phone rang.   I answered it   It was the dear Tesco delivery man (the one in the orange pom pom hat) who said he had arrived with my order but was I alright as he couldn't make me hear .  Ten out of ten for Tesco delivery men who are without exception wonderful, caring and helpful.

He offered to put my frozen stuff in the freezer for me but I had defrosted it and needed to start again - my carer is away next week and much of it was frozen Charlie Bigham meals.   So had that to do before going back to computer.   The order had disappeared of course!

Rang the company (why didn't I do that in the first place?).   Lovely chap answered "How can I help you today?"  My reply, "You can hopefully prevent me having a nervous breakdown!"  Two minutes later he had put me up on screen, rectified the error I had made, checked that I had ordered the correct cartridges (probably though 'poor old dear I'd better check') and Bob's your uncle all done and dusted.

I put the Tesco order away, microwaved my lunch, sat down and ate it.   Switched on the News, drank a quarter of my cup of coffee, fell asleep, woke up as I was pouring the other three quarters on to my trousers!!

Need I say more in explanation as to why I didn't put on a post!! 

** There is an error somewhere in here but having read it through again I can't find it.   Apologies but now coffee time (might even allow myself two two finger kit-kats - or maybe a toasted crumpet with marmalade ).  See you all tomorrow.

26 comments:

Librarian said...

Goodness! That was a lot to handle. Hats off to the Tesco delivery man; how good of him to make sure you were there and alright. Others would have simply assumed that the person had forgotten their delivery was due and had gone out (as I imagine happens regularly).
I imagine that your tremor makes doing certain things on the computer difficult.
And I hope you did not scald yourself when you spilled the coffee over your trousers.

Sunshine and blue sky? I wish! We're having a mostly grey, wet and windy week with very few patches of blue visible occasionally.

Derek Faulkner said...

Charlie Bigham meals! bloody hell, despite being lovely meals, they're bloody expensive in Tesco's at over £9 a meal. I don't normally worry about the cost of things but I won't pay that for ready meals.
As for cartridge renewals, I simply go on to the company's website and re-order what I bought last time.

Rachel Phillips said...

Many regular delivery drivers are thoughtful Meike. It is not unusual. Maybe one-offs would be different but grocery deliveries are regular and a bond of mutual respect develops. I am intrigued about the newspaper on the line drying though.

Rachel Phillips said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ellen D. said...

Goodness, you had a lot to deal with, Pat. Glad you got it all sorted and are back on track.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the pouring a mug of something into the lap is a familiar scenario! Fortunately for me by the time I doze off my tea has cooled enough so that it is just a surprise, not a scald. And yes, the order on line business model seems flawed - I have given up on some companies because their on line system is so complex.

Have a good weekend!

Ceci

Barbara Anne said...

What a lots of little bothers to deal with but as the line of that old song goes, "Mama told me there'd be days like this, there'd be days like this my Mama said." I'm glad to hear your carried on and were successful in your ink cartridge order!

Bless all of those delivery and customer service people who go above and beyond in taking extra good care of us!

Hugs!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - that's fine but I bought a new printer and it came with ink. This was the first time I had ordered for this Canon model. As for Charlie Bigham - it was recommended by a friend who has them regularly. On the odd week when I need to order I usually order from a high class local firm and the prices are comparable - I just thought I would try a change. I have a small appetite so the meals - with added veg which I always have in the freezer last me two days. Good value for money. Many of the advertised meals are of poor quality I have found.

Rachel The first four pages were really wet. I have a linc in the garage - they dripped and dried quite quickly without makng a mess indoors.

Susan said...

After a day of mishaps, today has got to be a perfect day. Sometimes a phone-in order is the easiest and fastest. If my order does not go through the first time, I phone it in. You'll have to tell the newspaper delivery boy about the problem with a wet newspaper. He's not thinking.

Librarian said...

Rachel, my Mum has been getting her groceries delivered since the start of the pandemic. She says it is rare that she sees the same delivery person twice. They are always friendly and helpful, carrying her bags up three flights of stairs, but I imagine they would just leave a note that delivery had not been possible if they assumed nobody was in.

Rachel Phillips said...

I guess some are lucky in Britain and get the same delivery driver each time, I know my family do.

Rambler said...

I've been having weekly grocery deliveries since the start of lockdown, many different drivers and because they always tell me the expected time of delivery, I get my shopping bags ready just inside the front porch so I can transfer the groceries from the Sainsbury's tray(s) straight into my bags, ready to carry into the kitchen.
The drivers are thoughtful in asking if I mind them coming a little earlier as they are already in my area; checking any eggs aren't broken or anything damaged - then cancelling the cost but asking if I still want the damaged goods (often it's a slightly crumpled cereal box or similar)
How can anyone forget that their groceries are due, when there are reminders via email and text?
I am familiar with the 'falling asleep in front of the TV and ending up with a wet lap or cold tea in a cup'! The joys of growing old!

Regina M. said...

Oh, my! I call that sort of day the 32nd of the month. It should not happen. So frustrating. Hugs and best wishes, Weave. From the base of the mini-mountain in Maine, Regina.

John Going Gently said...

I love your chatty posts

hart said...

I hope you had the two kit-kats, you deserve them. (Have you tried the dark chocolate mint ones?)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - I rarely get the same driver twice but yesterday's - he of the orage pom pom hat - has been a lot lately. But being near to Catterick Garrison we have a huge Tesco store and I think their driver turn over must be huge. But I did ask one one week if they had training in being helpful and he said they did. They always offer to put anything frozen into my freezer for me and once the driver caught me about to put my washing into the tumble drier and insisted doing it for me (I can't stand unaided so can only do it one-handed)

Susan I have told the delivery boy and also the Newsagent - the boy now puts it right thrugh if it is raining but nt if it just looks like rain and sometimes he comes at about 6.30.

Heather said...

I've had days like that! Exhausting and frustrating. I hope tomorrow will be more straight forward. Thank goodness for sons and kind delivery men.

anonymous said...

Hopefully by now your tasks are complete,you've had enough good food and will sleep well tonight.
I had wondered what you'd been doing, A LOT is my answer,Mary

Red said...

We need challenging days to keep us in the game.

Tigger's Mum said...

I know someone (self employed businessman) who doesn't bother to remember passwords for most sites, just hits forgot password, makes up a new one for that transaction, and does that same again next time he uses the site. There is a certain sense in that for things other than email and banking (and blogging).

RunNRose said...

Seems to me that pegging that newspaper on the line would have been quite tricky for you?

justjudithanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanne Noragon said...

I have an order for the only socks I like hanging out there somewhere because I have moved and can't make it happy with my new address.

Cro Magnon said...

The only person I've known who was over the age of 100 was a Mrs Pickering from my native village of Lingfield in Surrey. Every day she would buy two copies of the same newspaper, and glue the pages to her interior walls, so that she had the entire paper to read with a magnifying glass at eye level. You can imagine what it all looked like after years of newspaper on the walls.

thelma said...

Was life simpler when we could just go to Computer World and pick up some ink for printers. Some how now we have turned our world round but is it any simpler? Even Kit Kat wrappers can be recycled now Pat - hope you are doing it ;)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Of course Thelma.
Red has the answer here - it needs to be written BIG and stuck on the kitchen walls of all us 'oldies'.

Got my more serious thinking cap on this morning! Thank you all for your usual joining in the chat whatever the subject.