Saturday 18 November 2023

Back in thoughtful mode

Lovely quiet day yesterday and today I feel back in my thoughtful mode - so forget trivia today and let's get our 'discussion caps' on!

I love days when I can think of something 'serious' to write about because it always promotes heckles, disagreements, corrections and such and we end up with one of those days when I wish we were all in one room with a drink of our choice and all in full voice (sorry - not an intentional rhyme).

One of the advantages   of going to bed early (9pm) is that I wake early; early enough to watch BBC television in the hour before Breakfast TV comes on and even then one or two breaks for 'serious stuff'.

This brings me to John Simpson's programme which each Saturday gets my brain going.   He is - to my way of thinking, one of the most unbiased interviewers (BBC World Affairs Editor).

This morning he had a ten miinute slot on the situation in the   Is rael/Gaza conflict and possible outcomes followed by a similar length slot on the situation in Myanmar, where the Military Dictatorship seems to be breaking down as various factions of the military begin to form about the country.

All good, sensible listening as far as I am concerned.

Then came 'Our World' and a fascinating slot on the mighty Mekong River.   A river which rises way up in China and flows through China, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia - all countries making enormous use of its water.

Today they looked at Tonle Sap and the floating villages where the villagers make this large inland lake the centre of their lives.   The  amount of water in the lake is entirely controlled by the ebb and flow of water from the mighty Mekong river.

In recent years China has built a number of Hydro electric dams along the river as it flows through their country.   Now these villages - in I think Cambodia - find their whole lives affected.   The lake is silting up, the fish stocks are getting smaller and smaller.   These villagers rely on the fish as their main source of protein and their main way of making a living - selling the fish to make enough money to be able to pay for their children to go to school. The men they spoke to spoke movingly about not being able to get their children an education - and some days not even getting enough fish to feed their own families.

And I thought of how progress makes us all have to change.   Progress is a necessity and it has always been so.   Even progression from the Stone Age to the Iron Age meant that man had to progress in order to survive and sadly as always 'progress' means 'survival of the fittest'.   Fortune favours the prepared  mind and the ordinary 'working man' - working to feed and clothe his family is the last to benefit.

I thought of my own father - as a small boy growing up in the fenlands of Lincolnshire - joining his family when they all had to 'take' a field of beet and 'single' it.  Beet-singling time meant a bit more money coming in to the family coffers.  Now machinery does the job that took them several days in several hours.

What will the Cambodian villagers do as the fortunes of 'their lake', 'their livelihood' dry up? When visiting the now underwater graves of their relatives (an important part of their way of life) becomes impossible?   They, like everyone else the world over, will have to change, have to 'go with the flow' like the mighty river and let their floating village way of life become a thing of the past.   Sad - but I guess inevitable. 

There will come a day when the old men of the village will sit and recall the days - plenty of chat always beginning with 'I remember when......' 

***If you want to see my wall friend Diego go to newnatalie.blogspot.com 

19 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

It was called chopping out in beet terminology. Singling is far too posh. The Italian POWs used to do it by moonlight as they were on piece work.

Derek Faulkner said...

Not much in your review of international news today that inspires me to comment back but something in todays paper did catch my attention. Apparently a form of cat coronavirus is running rife through the cat population in Cyprus and decimating cat numbers there and now it has been found in a few cats here.
I don't have a problem with cats as pets but do have a problem with owners who smugly insist that their cats have a right to wander in other people's gardens, pooing in them and killing wildlife, all protected in law. If this virus does spread in this country, it will at least reduce the large number of feral cats and might encourage owners to keep their cats indoors to avoid them being infected.

Carruthers said...

Is 'survival of the fittest' the engine driving social change? I'd say no. Even if one tries to compare historical change to evolution (always problematic) the phrase 'survival of the fittest' wasn't even coined by Darwin. Regarding the stone age/ iron age thing, going back to prehistory, there's huge evidence of sophisticated trading over long distances. I would suggest we've got where we are at least as much through mutual aid and that battles for survival (though they're one way of driving technological innovation) got in the way.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel - in Lincolnshire it was always called 'Beet singling' - some farmers used to put a bit of paper on the village noticeboard asking if anyone fancied taking a field and they always called in 'singling'. I always wanted my mum and dad and me to take a field but my father wouldn't hear of it. I similarly pestered to go potato picking - my dad finally gave in and let me go. I only lasted a morning - I had backache by lunchtime and gave up!

Rachel Phillips said...

Well I guess they just used the right posh word for the notice board.

Heather said...

We have had to adapt in the past and will have to do so again. I often think of my predecessors when the news gets me down. My grandparents must have despaired during the early 20th century and beyond, and my parents will have probably done the same in the 1920's and 40's. The one difference today is that we hear about the dreadful happenings throughout the entire world. No wonder those of us advanced in years, feel helpless and worn down by it all. What kind of world are we leaving to our grandchildren to sort out?

Debby said...

These days, we all have a ringside seat to the world's suffering. It is painful to watch.

Derek Faulkner said...

In Kent, and probably elsewhere, in the 1800's, they used to delay the start of the new school year in September, because they knew that a large proportion of the children wouldn't attend anyway because they'd be out in the cornfields with their parents gathering up corn sheafs in order to earn a few extra shillings.

Susan said...

Change is generally inevitable. I've always had a fascination for new technology. The next big change will include artificial intelligence and I believe it will impact everybody in some way. As for the Middle East: hate, revenge and war is not the solution. I support both (Israel and Palestine) and hope for a better future for Palestinians and want Israel to be safe and secure. How many innocent people will lose their lives before resolution is found? Farming in the US dictates our school calendar and from late May until early September schools are closed. Today, farming no longer requires children working the fields yet our school administrators insist on having the Summer vacation school closure. This system needs to change as statistics show students need more schooling, not less.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Derek - ys I think it was the same everywhere = and then there was hop picking too - did that impinge on the school year?

Heather - no only hear about but also see in graphic detail.

Derek Faulkner said...

I think the hop picking was mostly over before school re-started, I recall some school chums telling me all about their adventures in the Kent hop fields on our first day back at school in September.

Derek Faulkner said...

I also forgot to mention Pat, that in 1872, schooling for children became compulsory and to satisfy this new government edict, new schools began to spring up in farming areas where they'd never been before. That immediately affected the numbers of children who were able to earn a full-time wage as cheap labour on the farms.

Barbara Anne said...

Your blog is always wonderful interesting, Pat!

It is sad when a way of life ends because of the downstream effects of the hydroelectric plants in China. What happens upstream always matters.

As for the wars and 'conflicts', I read this quote a few days ago:
"When the power of love
overcomes the love of power
the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Hugs!

anonymous said...

Watching parts of the world today might make one think those responsible for others suffering,losing their lives,pollution,hunger, disease, and destruction of Earth's environment didn't anticipate that their actions would affect the well-being of so many others...Alas, that is seldom the case.Those that crave wealth and power care about their own objectives and will do whatever is necessary to own,control and dominate who and/or whatever stands in their way
if they are allowed to.
At my parents dinner table
my father and I talked about government, politics, religion as I realized we all have a part to play and a responsibility to not let the weakest among us to be taken advantage of or worse ,
I have defended strangers that were about to be abused from a very young age, and my parents stood by me because they were the. ones that had taught me the difference between right and wrong.
Still I believe that world peace is only possible by loving others more

anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Weaver of Grass said...

Barbara Anne - wonderful quote - thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Derek - in 1880 schooling was only 5 - 10 year olds. By 1947 it was up to 15. I was teaching by 1972 when it was raised to 16 and I can tell you that that ROSLA year was pretty hard for teachers. Teaching children who had started school expecting to leave at 15 and suddenly 'incarcerated' as many of them thought for another year was 'hell' for those who were the least able academically.

The Weaver of Grass said...

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR COMMENTS

thelma said...

Taking people off the land and these selfsame people moving into cities this has been how the last generations have lived and got much better lives. Industrialisation of farming, all changes moving forward. China, in its need for growth and supremacy is doing it for its people. So how do we measure the loss of one way of life against another.

Do we want to go back before the time of enclosure and live life under feudalism. The pain of loss those villagers feel as they lose their way of life is felt by us all. But it is what it is, always the striving forward.

Derek Faulkner said...

Pat, I left school in 1962, two weeks after my 15th birthday, but as much as I loved being at school I doubt very much that I would of been happy at having an extra year sprung on me.
Seems strange now looking back, the thought of going out into an adult world and getting a job, aged 15, but we knew no different and my secondary school had no sixth form anyway.