Thursday 28 January 2021

Thursday

What to chat about today?    My mind is a bit of a blank.   I have just had a chat on the telephone with my neighbour who is using this lockdown as a chance to 'declutter' the house.   She says she is enjoying it and as she does it room by room she will get more and more pleasure from it.   I am sure she is right.   During lockdown it is very important I think (for our sanity if for nothing else) to have aims and intentions and stick to them so that our days have order to them.   I am speaking now about those of us who are retired of course.   The younger ones who read my blog (I suspect there are only a few if any) are probably working from home and looking forward to getting back into the swing of things.

Here I had a very ordered day yesterday and was determined to stick to the routine in the days to come.   That has been hit on the head completely this morning when I got up to a couple of inches of wet snow - going fast but not a day for me to walk out.

My routine yesterday:   Breakfast and chat with Carer;  an hour and a half spent doing Mind Games in The Times and getting them right (thus mind exercised); cup of coffee from flask left on my trolley by my Carer (enough to last all day);  half an hour doing the set exercises from the Physio; my first walk down the drive and along the footpath with Priscilla - about two or maybe three hundred yards and back - I found pushing her up the steepish drive quite hard but as it is the first time I have done it since last October it will no doubt get easier;  lunch supplied by my Carer - she has absolutely no need to do this but usually brings me three or four meals each week arguing that she is cooking for her and her partner and it is easy to do a bit extra;  after lunch I put my feet up for a couple of hours - watch Father Brown, Hairy Bikers and Escape to the Country - and sometimes the programme about Farmers Markets which follows.  When I say 'watch' I do sometimes fall asleep!    A bit of tea and a bit of reading completes my day unless there is something to watch on TV - last night it was a new series of The Repair Shop which I do enjoy.

So I went to bed last night happy that I had had that walk out.   I know I must get back into walking every day if I am to get really mobile again.   But snow intervenes today - but as I said yesterday it is February at the weekend so I shall soon be able to get going.   As my Carer pointed out this morning 'Bulbs are coming up all over your garden' - that cheered me up for a start! 

24 comments:

Librarian said...

You know you have at least one reader - this one! - who works :-)
I have not had a single hour less work because of the pandemic, quite the contrary; and although I don't mind at all working from home, I do very much look forward to the weekend when do not have to be up at a certain time and sit at my desk and stick to a tight schedule of conference calls all day.

Did you and Priscilla go out on your own, or was your kind and generous carer still there?

By the way, February starts next week - it is still January until Sunday, my Dad's birthday (31.01.), he will be 79.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Since retiring I've been only to happy NOT to have to follow a routine. I suppose we're all different in that regard. I'm glad to hear you were able to get outside for a short while; I'm sure we'll all feel a lot better when the weather improves.

Heather said...

Isn't it lovely to see the bulbs pushing up in the garden? How ever much of an effort it is I always feel better for a little walk in the fresh air. Mind you, I sometimes have to give myself a bit of a talking to, to get going. I hope you soon get the opportunity for a little daily walk to become part of your routine. Your carer goes the extra mile by the sound of it. So glad you are being looked after so well.

Rachel Phillips said...

February is the month we are most likely to get snow here as I believe I regularly remind you each year. Please continue to enjoy winter in your bungalow, read, vary your puzzles to exercise the brain, do ones you wouldn't normally do, and sleep and make the most of the good life you have without masses of pills, compromised immune system and a good supply of food, carers and facilities. Give up pills as soon as you can and do not prolong their use. Often doctors just dish them out and they are not needed.

Debby said...

I have no advice to give other than to find the joy in each day. We know from long experience that seasons change.

Marty said...

It's always interesting to see how others fill their day. And weren't you clever (unknowingly!) to get some outside time before the snow hit.

Ellen D. said...

The news of bulbs coming up in your garden brightened MY day. Always something to look forward to if we look around. Good for you!

The Feminine Energy said...

YES, most definitely please stay inside during snowy times. No more falling! :-) ~Andrea xoxo

Sue in Suffolk said...

It;s rain intervening here - much of the day - horrible

it's me said...

So happy you got to take a walk. I always leave here smiling. Thank you.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Librarian in answer to your question I walked alone - my Priscilla has good brakes and the drive was dry. Haven't ventured out today.

gmv said...

I love your attitude. So happy you could get out for a short walk yesterday. That breath of fresh air must have been a good boost to your spirits.

Beverley said...

Well done on your walk. If you carry on and do this daily, you will soon build some muscle up.
Our Snowdrops are about to bloom here in Worcestershire. Bev

Minigranny said...

Well done for your walk with Priscilla! Saw lovely little snowdrops the other day whilst out walking. Feeling happy as We've got the call for our jabs !

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks all - no possibility of going out again for a day or two as the weather has taken a turn for the worse. But one day has given me a taste for it.

wherethejourneytakesme2 said...

I am hoping the worst of all the winter weather will be over when january is! We have managed to get out each day with our two year old grandson - although it was in the drizzle on one of the days but it breaks the day up for us when we do.

Susan said...

Great that you walked outside and will continue to do so any day that the weather allows. The perfect plan. Come spring, you'll be touring the garden. How wonderful that your daffodils are popping up. Very encouraging. With all the bulbs you planted, your display will be spectacular.

John Going Gently said...

I cry too much at The Repair Shop

Joanne Noragon said...

Glad to know there is a new Repair Shop beginning. I'll look at it tomorrow.

Cro Magnon said...

The Farmers Market programme has become essential viewing here (when it's raining); it brings me back to reality again.

Liz said...

Regarding your comment yesterday about Covid that "it's not only the young who neither listen or care" haven't you considered that the elderly lady may not have been told at the time of her vaccination that she would still need to wear a mask? I wasn't told when I had mine however I had known as I had seen it on the internet.

Not everyone, particularly the elderly, has access to the internet, two of my elderly neighbours also don't have a television and rely on the radio for news. Have you heard anything on the radio telling people they'll still need to wear a mask after vaccination? I have the radio on often and I haven't.

You immediately jump to the conclusion that someone less fortunate than yourself (you have the means and the mental capacity to access the internet) neither listens or cares, without giving consideration to the fact that this most possibly wasn't true.

Barbara said...

You'll be glad you planted so many bulbs. The comment above, my mum is 94 and also thought she didn't need to wear a mask after she had her first jab, she watches a lot of tv and heard that the vaccine was a remedy to the pandemic.

Rambler said...

There was sunshine today here, a lovely change after so many grey days with rain, snow and fierce winds. Snowdrops are flowering in the garden, there are big fat buds on the Camellia and Rhododendron bushes, also creamy coloured Hellebores and now Primroses are flowering.. It won't be long before your new Sarah Raven Tulips start to show their leaves and you will know that the weather is indeed improving. And today I shall be having my 1st vaccination - so excited about that!

Bea said...

The Hairy Bikers are good fun. The rains have ceased over in my neck of the woods. As I look out the front window, I see big, fluffy white clouds hanging in a bright, blue sky. My day will include a trip to the seaside for a bit of beach combing.