Sunday 17 January 2021

This and That

 Sun out nice and early, temperature above freezing, snow going gradually, half past nine in the morning and folk already out walking their dogs.   My Carer has been, helped me wash and dress, got my breakfast (I can get it if she is not here), made my bed - done other esentials and gone.

Sundays are always long days and now that we are not meeting for our usual Sunday lunches (oh how I miss them - the friendship, the conversation, the food,) the day seems endless.   So today I am determined to keep myself busy one way or another.   The sun is already rising higher in the sky (it is, after all, a month since the shortest day) and is already shining into my sitting room this morning.   I am putting out of my head my father's old saying 'as the days lengthen the storms strengthen').

Over my second cup of tea I was reading a bit of Monty Don's 'My Garden World' - the bit where he speaks of Geese and how many farmer's wives used to keep a few geese to sell at Christmas to add to their coffers.   How they used to get them 'oven ready' and how they would all be ordered well before Christmas.   It brought back memories of my parents when I was a child.   We lived in a small Lincolnshire village of, maybe, a couple of hundred inhabitants.   There was a post office and village store, a Co-op grocery store and a Butchers.   Mr Green, the Butcher, whose shop was almost opposite our house, had an arrangement with my mother.   She dressed all his poultry for him (she loved doing it) and in return she never paid for her meat (she was a real meat-eater, which probably explains why I am not all that keen on meat having had it almost every meal as a child).   My father was happy to kill the poultry humanely and he would also light the copper (outside in the wash house) so that he could 'dip' in the dead birds to make plucking easier.  Thinking about it I suspect my parents somehow kept the goose down because we always had goose-feather 'mattresses. '   In fact I rather think my parents still had one right to the end.   My father was a 'reluctant changer' (remember the collar studs and the short sleeved shirts from earlier posts).

I had thought about this yesterday evening too watching Rick Stein's 'Cornwall' (which I am enjoying tremendously) being repeated on BBC 2.   The women of Cornwall were 'dab hands' at dealing with the fish - especially in the days when huge shoals of mackerel were being caught and exported rapidly all over the country already 'gutted'.   It does seem that often women do essential support work in some industries.

And to change the subject again - if you are at a loose end today and need something to watch - Rachel suggested I watch Mark Lawson interviewing John le Carre (available on iplayer) - I watched it yesterday tea time - rivetting - do watch it if you haven't already seen it - absolutely brilliant.

Have a nice day. And - if you blog with BB at 'Codlins and Cream' do join with me in wishing her and her family all the best wishes now that they have moved into their new house.


30 comments:

Lulu said...

Hello there, I have just found your blog via Ann’s Devon blog, and thought I’d say hello. I love Monty Don’s books but haven’t read ‘My Garden World’. Plucking a goose looks to be hard on the hands. Ah, the famous Cornish fisher wives, sadly not many left now. I will be sure to check out the John Le Carre interview. Although ashamedly I’ve never read one of his books (this will be rightly corrected), I did meet him briefly through work and he was an absolute gem of a gentleman. Hope you enjoy this sunny Sunday. Lulu xXx

JayCee said...

This reminded me of the "Herring Girls" who travelled around different ports in the British Isles, following fleets of fishing vessels. Manx National Heritage say that until 1950, gangs of these highly skilled women worked in the Manx ports of Peel and Port St Mary and that a team of three could gut and pack in the region of 1,000 herring every hour.
What a job!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ah Jay Cee - I don't think women would put up with it these days do you?

Welcome Lulu - Do try to get hold of Monty Don's My Garden World - it is a delight to pick up and put down in odd moments.

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'm hoping to borrow a copy of that Monty Don book when libraries reopen. Did you read a book of his from way back called The Jewel Garden?

CharlotteP said...

If you haven't heard 'The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse' on BBC Sounds
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000r630
It's gentle, profound and and lovely

wherethejourneytakesme2 said...

My dad's side of the family come from a small village in Lincolnshire too. I used to visit often and loved that slow pace of life they have there.
Monty Don's book is on my 'want to read' list - I know it will be interesting.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

I just looked up Monty Don. I should see if my library carries any of his books. -Jenn

Tom Stephenson said...

It's difficult to shake of old maxims that your father comes out with. Mine believed the inland seagulls were blown off course by storms. He never lived in Bath...

Derek Faulkner said...

I'm bit by bit working my way through Monty Don's excellent book, there is so much nostalgia in it and I must admit that I first skipped to the last chapter about Nigel, his dog, it brought tears to my eyes.
Rick Steins's Cornwall is a terrific series, especially as I love Cornwall and have so many beautiful memories from visits there. If I ever left my beloved Sheppey, that's where I would move to.
I has been a lovely , cloudless and sunny day here, a chance to dry out before the next deluge due mid-week.

Jean Winnipeg said...

When you wrote of Mr Green the butcher, it reminded me of a set of playing cards I have from the early 1950"s.

I don't have the complete set but there is Mr Soot the chimney sweep -- all the soot family are in black clothes,
Mr Bun the Baker etc. It is a rather lovely set and every time I look at the cards, it brings back good memories of playig with y parents in the evening at the kitchen table.

MFH said...

Thank you CharlotteP.

And you too Ms. Weaver!

busybusybeejay said...

Jean Winnipeg have a look on my blog and see if this is the game you remember.Happy Families.Barbara

Share my Garden said...

I agree with you, Weaver, the Le Carre interview was excellent. A very articulate man and with such a troubled childhood small wonder that in adult life he could write with such insight about spies, lies and deceit!
I read you blog regularly for a weather report to learn how my friends are faring just over the hill in Coverdale. Almost a year now since I have been there - my garden will have totally gone to pot and I doubt I shall be able to return for months still to come.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Ah yes - Happy Families - lovely game.
Where the journey takes me - what was the name of the village?
No Sue - I haven't read The Jewel Garden. I had no idea he had written so much until I saw them all listed in his present book.

Thanks for visiting everyone. Stay warm and safe.

Debby said...

I spent yesterday leafing through gardening things and daydreaming about my garden. On Charlotte's advice, I am listening to The Boy, the Mole, The Fox and the Horse. Thank you for the sweetness of this moment.

Jennyff said...

Would you believe today we have snow, a good covering. We’ve hand to clear the terrace and the road, we’ve made paths for the cats, who have probably never seen snow before, it’s like being back in Scotland.

thelma said...

Monty Don's book sounds good, he has such a gentle nature as he wanders the garden with his two dogs. I can understand Derek not wanting to read the chapter on Nigel, a faithful doggy friend.

Mary said...

Your Sunday doings sound lovely Pat. Here it's cold but dry with brilliant sunshine so we will walk a while later.
Wish we could get Rick Stein's 'Cornwall' - I'll search for it as I'd really enjoy .

Helen said...

Wishing you the same lovely Sunday .....

The Feminine Energy said...

Yes, it's hard to keep the chin up on lonely Sundays. Heck, everyday seems lonely these days but Sundays are the worst, aren't they. Carry on.... ~Andrea xoxo

Bonnie said...

Happy Sunday Pat! I always enjoy your posts and hearing about your childhood. I remember when I was growing up our bed pillows were feather filled and very comfortable. How nice that you are enjoying your current book. It does sound very good. Sleep well tonight!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you dear bloggy friends.

Heather said...

I am sure my grandmother made her own pillows from cotton ticking stuffed with feathers. She kept chickens and we always had a large cockerel for our family Christmas dinner. Granny was very capable and probably killed, plucked and prepared it for the oven herself. I wonder when it became 'traditional' for us to have turkey for Christmas.
The Countryfile forecast is a bit grim for next week with a great deal of heavy rain for the north of the country. I do hope there will not be severe flooding. Miserable whenever it occurs but so much worse in winter.
At least we have Spring to look forward to, however far away it seems just now.

Cloudia said...

Glad to see you out and about, Dear

Rachel Phillips said...

I am glad you enjoyed the le Carré interview. I thought you would. It makes no difference whether one has read any of his books or not, it is a stand alone interview of a great man with wit and intelligence.

Joanne Noragon said...

I was giving thanks just this week, it still is light at supper time.

Cro Magnon said...

We've been watching Rick Stein in Cornwall. My wife's father's family came from Padstow, and it's where she learnt to swim. He is such a good presenter.

Librarian said...

I always love reading your childhood memories, thank you for sharing them with us!

It's been snowing non-stop here yesterday. We went out only for about an hour in the afternoon, and O.K. had to be on the road at 6:00 so that he would be home to comply with the curfew regulations. I was a little worried about road conditions, but he rang 1 1/2 hours after he'd set off - driving on the motorway was good, and not as busy as it would have been if he had spent another night and driven home on Monday morning.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Childhood memories come and go - always happy for me when they come. Not so for everyone. Thanks for calling.

Bovey Belle said...

Thank you for thinking of me Pat. It has been a traumatic week, with all the packing (at breakneck speed) and unpacking and putting away so as to make room fore the next lot of stuff - we got rid of lots but STILL have plenty to try and stow into a house half the size of the last one, and of course, no auctions local to us we could have put it in, and no taking things to Fairs or Car Boot Sales to sell. We have another two days of it - rest of the house stuff tomorrow, and the last of K's workshop on Wednesday. They have earned their money.

Hoping people don't suffer too much with this next named Storm Christoph arriving shortly. It's not sounding good, all that rain packed into a short space of time.

A tale of geese I remember well was told by a dear Dorset friend of ours. He had been evacuated to a Yorkshire farm, and the farmer's wife kept geese, and rarely did an egg reach the kitchen - instead she stored them in barrels in Isinglass. He told of yearning to have a goose egg omelette but reckoned (in the 1980s) those eggs were still there!!!

My husband had his jab today - had to go back to Carmarthen for it, but well worth getting up early and 100 mile round trip.