Friday 8 January 2021

Snow

Heavy wet snow has been falling since seven this morning (now half past ten) and when my Carer came she said that she would not have dared to take me for my vaccination this morning as the roads are so bad - so I was lucky to get it in yesterday.   So far no ill effects at all, not even a sore arm.  And the 'outing' did my confidence such a lot of good as I managed well and didn't feel tired when I got back home (and had the added bonus of a handsome young man helping me out of my chair after my enforced quarter of an hour wait after the shot - an ambulance man he had me up in no time from the chair which was too low to lever myself out on my Zimmer frame).  At my age I have to get my 'thrills' as and when I can!

So what's new today?   Well not a lot really.   My Physiotherapist rang to say she has ordered me a trolley with brakes for by my chair since I had my second fall - I no longer dare to use the one I have after falling with it and not have a trolley with trays does inhibit my ability to transport meals back and forth.


The little hill opposite my bungalow is notoriously bad in this kind of weather.   This morning I have watched vehicle after vehicle as they have struggled to get up and round the corner.   Some, with careful management in the correct gear for the conditions , have managed it first time - others have struggled, ending up with resorting to the passenger/s getting out and spreading grit from the box provided by the side of the path and pushing.   We are in full lockdown but this time round there seems to be no lessening of the traffic past my window and yet I understand that Covid has now well and truly reached our little town (last time round it didn't really get to visit us all that much).

Yesterday I ran out of bread.   There is more coming with my Tesco order this afternoon.   There are also sourdough crumpets coming with my order.   Guess which I shall be having for my tea? I am beginning to take an interest in making dishes again and rather fancy celeriac and apple soup (Hairy Bikers made it on a programme I watched yesterday) - maybe when my trolley with brakes arrives I shall have a go.   In the meantime - keep safe, keep warm and if you have snow and ice mind how you go.

26 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I definitely recommend the celeriac soup... the only snag being peeling the damn thing first!

Derek Faulkner said...

Have you been watching Rick Stein's series this week, where he's travelling around Cornwall. It's been really interesting and he's cooked a lovely, simple meal each time.
Severe frost overnight here and so all the rainwater still draining out of our drives has froze hard across the pavements. Had a 2 mile walk across the reserve this morning in thick freezing fog, I like walking in the fog.
Nice to see you still being very positive, well done.

Rachel Phillips said...

I recommend eating at the kitchen table until the new trolley arrives and transport less stuff around. The snow will give you variety of viewing opportunities from.your window.

Rachel Phillips said...

Let's hope the grocery delivery van negotiates the hill.

Minigranny said...

Not snowy here but blooming cold - I had to put my gloves on to do an online order as my fingers were numb. Glad that you feel a boost to your confidence - I think a little help from a handsome young man would do wonders for that !

Sue said...

I think all our snow had landed overnight and by the time I took Suky out for a walk, around 9.30ish it had turned to a deep and yucky slush. It looks lovely on the hills still but lower down it's melting quickly. Our forecast is for a much milder weekend seemingly.

I applaud you taking your thrills when and where you can, and a handsome youngish chappy to help you up from your chair and into the ambulance sounds lovely :-)

Librarian said...

So nice of the young man helping you off your chair, and you were indeed lucky in having your vaccination appointment when you did, and not today!
It has been snowing for good part of the morning, but by now there are only single flakes coming down every now and then, and although it remained on the ground earlier, most of it is gone now. Most people here have winter tyres on their cars from about November onwards, and my neighbourhood has no hills worth mentioning, so I guess it is easy to get around by car here.
Will you be using your soup maker for the celeriac and apple soup?

Jennyff said...

I think I need to start making soup, obviously with pasta in it. We have now been down to minus 3 at night around 8 degrees in the daytime. It’s raining today with odd spells of sun, definitely time for rib sticking food.

Tom Stephenson said...

I have been doing other people's recipes recently. I usually get stuck in the rut of rotating various favourites, but I think H.I. was getting bored. It is something new to do in lockdown, eh?

The Feminine Energy said...

Thank you for the report on how you felt after your 1st vaccination shot. I'm glad indeed you got to go yesterday and not have a missed appt. today. Our ice is melting, from our ice storm last week, but I'm sure there's snow in the forecast somewhere down the line. Tis the season, for sure. Take good care & I'll try too~ Andrea xoxo

JayCee said...

Very cold and icy here too. We don't mind our lockdown in this weather. Better to stay undoors where it is warm.

JayCee said...

Oops.. stay indoors! Cold fingers 😉

the veg artist said...

Do you have to 'transport' your meals because there is no room for a table in the kitchen? If so, could you have a cupboard removed to make a breakfast bar or similar? Not having to move the food at all would seem so much safer.

Ellen D. said...

Well, I laughed at the name "Hairy Bikers". Is that an actual person's name or are they motorbike riders who have a lot of hair? I just googled it and I see it is the latter - 2 hairy guys! :)
Soup is good for this time of year! Enjoy staying cozy inside!

Tasker Dunham said...

Encouraging to hear you have no ill effects from the jab. I suspect I have a few weeks to wait yet.

Sue in Suffolk said...

Just frost and fog here - dull and gloomy. I'm glad you've had no after effects of your outing yesterday.
Daughter in Law has a friend who is a nurse and had her vaccine this week and felt very poorly for a day.

angryparsnip said...

Such a wonderful post today. Happy you have had no ill effects from the vaccine.
Lots of blue sky and sun here but we need RAIN !
cheers

Virginia said...

Celeriac and Apple Soup - sounds delicious, and I trust those Hairy Bikers. I make a superb lamb shanks casserole of theirs, it uses a bottle of dark beer and it’s fabulous. I will look up the soup recipe. I guess you must be back to taking precautions with parcels coming into the house? We were stripping the plastic/ paper off everything, and soaking vegetables in soapy water (rinsing them, of course!) . It took me ages with every delivery. Won’t it be wonderful when this nightmare is over.

Heather said...

You sound very well organised and cheerful. The Hairy Bikers have some excellent recipes and that soup sounds very interesting. I sometimes wish I had a larger freezer as it is so much easier to cook for 6 or 8 and freeze the extra portions.
No snow here but we had freezing fog two days ago, since when it has just been very dull and damp. No wind but very cold. There are signs of Spring and I have seen snowdrops in flower.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I do eat in the kitchen and never use the dining room when I am alone. but I have a large kitchen and still have to transport my food a long way from cooker to table.

Bonnie said...

I'm happy to hear you've had no side effects from the injection. The snow can be pretty to watch if you don't have to go out in it. You find the most interesting soup recipes! I hope you let us know how it is after you've been able to make it.

Debby said...

I really think that in the winter I could live off a daily soup with a side of warm bread. Our winter has been mild but oh so gray.

Joanne Noragon said...

No snow here, Weave, and I'm not complaining.

Cro Magnon said...

I also saw the Celariac and Apple soup, and immediately wrote 'Celariac' on my list for next week.

thelma said...

I used to grate celariac with apples and a dressing for a salad, it is the most ugliest vegetable to tackle but crunchy. Just wet snow here, though they have closed the road between Pickering and Whitby, must be the 'Hole of Horcum' slide of ice over the moors.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Have just had a Zoom with friends. After that awful day yesterday it is one of unbroken sunshine today.