Friday 15 January 2021

An almost silent world.

 Outside, would you believe after yesterday, pure unbroken sunshine in a blue sky.   The snow on my roof is just beginning to drip past my sitting room window and the road outside was more or less impassable until a 'snowplough' of sorts went through earlier this morning.   Now it is possible to get out on to the main road with care.   Yesterday my carer never got here, as you know, but today she arrived an hour late brought by her aunt who has a four-wheeled drive car.   She brought me two cooked lunches to heat in my micro wave and she cleaned and tidied the kitchen which I was completely unable to do yesterday although I managed quite well on my own, knowing well that she would be here today to deal with jobs I couldn't do.   It has convinced me that I shall always need a carer for an hour each day - just to do  essential jobs I am not able to manage (shower, make and change the bed,)

Looking at the weather map on Breakfast television this morning I see that round here (Bedale) was the coldest place in the country last night (minus eleven degrees).   Pretty it certainly is but it is hampering my recovery as I just can't get out of the door to do a daily walk.   Yes I walk up and down my bungalow on and off all day but it is not the same and I fear my  mobility skills are slipping back at the moment.

But The Yorkshire Dales is not called 'Dales' for nothing.   We sit on the Eastern side of the Pennine Chain of hills (I daren't call them Mountains blogging as I do with friends from countries where there are 'real' mountains) but leaving our little town to go anywhere there is only one way out which is relatively flat(ish) - the other ways are all both hilly and bendy - that is the nature of our countryside and the fact that it does hamper travel in this kind of weather is more than made up for in the days when we can enjoy travelling around in such beauty.

And (selfishly) another minus factor is that everyone loves us so that any nice weather brings out tourists aplenty.   Yes - they are fully entitled to come and many of our shops and bed and breakfast facilities, not to mention holiday cottages and pubs serving meals - depend entirely on their custom to survive and make a living.   But on any nice day at the moment they do seem to be still arriving for their daily exercise - and Covid is ever present and we do wish at present they would stay away.

I am watching locals doing their daily exercise walk along my road - the same faces, the same dogs daily.   Today locals are struggling in the snow and ice - dogs are loving it, as are small children romping along, throwing snowballs, being pulled on sledges, what it is to be young!  If I was mobile - regardless of age - I would be out there making a snowman  - two bits of (plastic from my fire) coal for eyes, a carrot for a nose, one of my dear farmer's caps (I have four) on its head and a scarf round its neck.

Yes dear readers.   I am still young at heart.   Keep safe and warm.

18 comments:

Carol Caldwell said...

Glad that you managed so well without your carer yesterday but that she was able to get to you today. One thing is for certain, you are definitely young at heart.

Librarian said...

Pat, if I were closer to you, I'd be over and build that snowman in your garden according to your directions! What fun that would be!

No snow here, but a beautiful sunny day, and I hope to be out soon - just wrapping up work for the week (which is why I can afford to do something like commenting on blogs).

Heather said...

Happy memories of making snowmen then going indoors with aching cold fingers to warm up.
The Dales must look so beautiful in the snow and I hope you do not get many selfish visitors to admire them.
My knees are being a bit troublesome at present, so I can relate to your struggle to keep mobile. I think we must just do as much as we can, whenever we can.
Very grey here and cold, but the sun nearly came out a little while ago.

Mary said...

Glad you are managing Pat, but also that you realize you will continue to require some assistance - please take care.
We have started viewing NEW All Creatures Great and Small - set I'm sure in your area. Such beautiful countryside. . . . .and again it promises to be a wonderful TV series.

Hawickborn said...

Have you considered a walking machine? I bought my mum a model that had no bells or whistles, and she could programme 15-20 minutes on walking pace, when she couldn’t get out for her walk. We set it out in the spare downstairs bedroom as she couldn’t do steps into the garage. Mum had my other sister put a small tv on the dresser enabling her to watch her “programme” while she exercised. On days that mum went for morning walks, she would use the machine in the evenings!

Debby said...

The wind up of your story made me smile. Yes. You are young at heart! How endearing that is!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

I'd love to be up there in the Dales at the moment; it's just been grey and drizzly down here again today. It sounds like a wise move to have someone visit you to do those difficult jobs. My mother also kept Dad's old caps - including his grubby and battered "gardening cap" which she'd been trying to get him to throw out for years!

Bonnie said...

It is so wonderful to be young at heart and you certainly are that Pat! I love snowmen too and enjoy keeping watch on any that are built by children in our neighborhood. I'm glad your carer was able to get there today and how nice that she brought two meals for you.

The Feminine Energy said...

Keeping young at heart is what saves us older ones. Carry on.... ~Andrea xoxo

donna baker said...

Oh, Weaver. Snow angels and men and the children's thrills are the only saving grace for snow.

The Weaver of Grass said...

John I even have my farmer's milking cap.

Red said...

Keep on being young at heart. I like to be silly once in a while. I'd like to lie in the snow and make an angel.

Joanne Noragon said...

When I had grandchildren living here, snowmen and snowball fights were wondeful.

Susan said...

Your lovely Dales sound very picturesque. Next Winter you will build a snowman and he will have coal eyes, a carrot nose, scarf and your farmer's hat. What a great snowman he will be. You must promise to take a photo for the blog. Walking indoors is good for now. Don't be to hard on yourself, you'll be outdoors making up for lost time soon.

Cro Magnon said...

Do you watch 'The Farmers Country Showdown' on BBC TV in the afternoons? It's a lovely programme; full of hope and promise. If the weather is bad I try to watch it.

Derek Faulkner said...

I've just begun reading the new Monty Don book, it's really enjoyable, I like the way that he writes about the countryside and it's wildlife.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I had it for Christmas Derek and am enjoying it too. I like the way you can just pick it up and read a bit when you feel like it. I love the way that when he sees something in the garden or countryside which interests him he jots it down in his notebook and does a bit of research.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Yes Cro I do watch it and always find it interesting.

Thanks for your contributions everyone.