Saturday 14 April 2018

Warm

My bungalow faces South.   Stepping out of the front door at ten this morning it was warmer outside than it was inside.   The first time this year when it has actually been warm - and it was glorious.   All day the sun has shone.  All day folk have been doing jobs around the place.   Even I have wobbled up the steps to the top of the garden
to plant three bits of rock plants I have salvaged from my garden at the farm - rock alchemilla, sweet woodruff and viola labradorica.   I hope they grow because I brought them with me from Wolverhampton in 1987 and these are snippets from the original plants so have happy memories.

Everyone seems to be studiously avoiding mentioning the Syrian conflict - perhaps the best way as I think we all feel rather helpless.   It is only at times like this that we actually realise we elect our representatives to put forward our views in such times.   And it is only with hindsight that things come truly into perspective.

Tess has been on a marathon walk with her friend Meg this afternoon.   She has come back flaked out, eaten her tea and is now flat out on the carpet fast asleep.   Feel a bit like that myself, so shall settled down to the Percussion section  of Young Musician of the Year.   I was stunned by the absolute perfection of the playing in the strings section last week - I hope I am similarly stunned this week.

17 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

I watched some of the percussion last night. They were absolutely fantastic. The sun shone here this afternoon.

Sue said...

It was like a summer's day here, I had to take my jacket off when I was out with Rick.

justjill said...

No heating at all and it is 20.45. unbelievable!

Derek Faulkner said...

I think we all feel pretty much like people rejuvenated thanks to finally enjoying a warm and sunny day. It has been a day for throwing open the doors, off with the coat and to be busy - loved it.

Bonnie said...

How lovely that you have warm weather! Enjoy the percussion tonight. I have a soft spot in my heart for percussion as one of my sons plays the marimba beautifully.

Joanne Noragon said...

How I can relate to "warmer out that in!". I should remember that in winter, too.

Chris said...

Have a look at my blog to see what it's like "across the pond". I so envy you your wonderful day!

Alphie Soup said...

I hope those rockery plants, that started out 30 years ago in Wolverhampton, thrive and brighten your day each time you see them in the garden.
As for Syria, a vexed question.

Alphie

thelma said...

I am not sure that anyone can talk about the Syrian conflict because somehow there is too much news about it..... We had sun in the afternoon and the hens pootled around in it, still not laying eggs though!

Gwil W said...

I had to fish the sun umbrella out of the darker reaches of the shed yesterday. We were able to have a meal outside! Today's a little bit cooler but that's ok as I have a friend running in a marathon and he'll appreciate it not being too hot. Shall, watch the race on tv shortly.

Lavrov says Skripals were poisoned by BZ-toxin which has a delayed reaction. Someone at the Swiss Lab where the sample was analysed has leaked the result. BZ-toxin is designed to incapacitate rather than kill and has a delayed reaction time. The facts so far as we know them would fit to the use of this agent. Which by the way is not one of theirs but one of ours - a NATO one that is.

Can we believe what we are told by the likes of Boris Johnson I have to ask.



Living Alone in Your 60's said...

It was just what we needed, a bit of dunshisu to offset the doom and gloom of the political situation. I seem to think we've been here before!

Heather said...

So pleased you have had a share of the sunshine! We seem to get perhaps one day a week of it at present. I do hope your treasured plants flourish for you in their new home.
I can't bear to listen to the news any more - it is just too painful. Am I being cowardly?
I have enjoyed Young Musician of the Year for some time now and am amazed by the skill of these young performers.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

It seems odd that people from different countries can collaborate on something as complex and nuanced as a piece of classical music but somehow can't get along in the real world.

A Heron's View said...

Complacency, coupled with the fear of being ridiculed by ones peers, holds back the meek from standing
up and saying No to the political monsters who live on death and destruction to further their own ends.

Bea said...

Enjoy the spring weather. We are having warm temps with a bit of rain mixed in. -not too usual for these parts.

Syria is a heartbreak. Trump declares a job well done on his airstrikes. The US has let in 11 refugees from Syria this year. An abysmal low.

George said...

A tip of the hat to you, Pat, for your abiding enthusiasm for life. People who continue to be "stunned" by beauty are likely to be the happiest on earth.

cocoya said...

I am not sure that anyone can talk about the Syrian conflict because somehow there is too much news about it..... We had sun in the afternoon and the hens pootled around in it, still not laying eggs though!

สล็อต ออนไลน์