Sunday 1 April 2018

Sunday

Happy Easter Day to everyone.

There is a tiny sliver of blue sky as I draw back the blinds this morning -I hope this is augurs well for a better day than the pouring wet one we had yesterday.

Once one is retired all days are the same unless one is a churchgoer (which I am not being a Humanist) and yet somehow Sunday mornings are just that little bit different.  A bit of a special breakfast (quick-fried pancetta slices on wholemeal bread for me this morning, followed by a banana) is followed by a couple of mugs of coffee and a half hour read of yesterday's Guardian magazine.

Now, sitting in my computer room and writing this, still in my dressing gown and in no hurry to have my shower.   It is out to the Golf Club with friends for lunch and Tess has not even raised her head from sleeping position in her bed, so there does not seem to be any hurry for anything.

Did anyone watch the twenty minute film on BBC1 on Friday night - 'The Silent Child'?  It was, I believe, nominated for an Oscar .  It was the most beautiful but heart-rending portrayal of a small girl who is totally unable to hear.   I watched it with tears pouring down my cheeks from beginning to end.

On a more cheerful note - it is April - it is officially Spring - the daffodils are not out here but they are well in bud - there are at last lambs in the fields with their mums up here in the Dales -
what's not to like?    Have a good day.

 

20 comments:

Onevikinggirl said...

Enjoy your beautiful day!

Sue said...

Yes, I watched it too. Although I wasn't deaf as a child I know what it's like to live in a silent world.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

That's one sliver of blue sky more than we have here. Tess obviously knows what Sundays are for. Hope you enjoy your meal.

Tom Stephenson said...

How do they make Pancetta that much tastier than ordinary bacon? It is more bacony (my spell checker thinks I mean balcony) than any other bacon I know.

Rambler said...

I broke my heart for that poor little girl as she said a loving 'Goodbye' to the only person who understood her. So shocking that there are many. many deaf children who have no support and no way of communicating, even with their immediate family.
On a brighter note - enjoy your Easter Sunday and I hope the skies get bluer for you. x

Derek Faulkner said...

Pat, that is a really great blog and you really have got it cracked, what a great breakfast and then trip out for lunch.
I'm at my partner's in Surrey this weekend, today is cold and grey but at least it's dry and we've been out for a walk along a beautiful and fast flowing river.
I'm with Rambler about the film about the deaf girl, it was both beautiful but very emotional, especially the end.

angryparsnip said...

Thank You for the lovely Easter blog.

cheers, parsnip

Sandi said...

That sounds like a difficult film to watch. I don't think I could do it.

Jules said...

You paint a beautiful picture of your morning Pat. X

Living Alone in Your 60's said...

It all sounds rather lovely. Enjoy.

justjill said...

Thank you for that post. It struck many a chord. (And I have never touched a ukelele.)

Elizabeth said...

HAPPY EASTER!

Granny Sue said...

Happy Spring, Pat! Our Sunday mornings are similar to yours--slower and more relaxed. We usually get busy as they day goes on with various projects, but the morning is such a nice quiet time, a change of pace from the usual busyness here.

Heather said...

I woke to a brighter day also, and what a treat it was - yesterday was awful down here too. That film could only be very powerful and heartrending, and I'm afraid I wasn't brave enough to watch it.
I like the sound of your lunch. I treated myself to cream cheese and smoked salmon on crackers.

Marion said...

Happy Easter. Here in Louisiana, all of Nature is mirroring the resurrection of Jesus. I hope the Spring weather in your part of the world improves soon!! Have a wonderful day. xo

Bonnie said...

Have a wonderful Easter! There were a few daffodils up at the church this morning despite the snow falling around them. That's okay, it is warm and sunny in my heart.

Joanne Noragon said...

A happy Sunday to you, too. Our day is all sunshine, and I hope it came through to you, too.

Maria said...

Happy Easter.
Greetings Maria x

The Weaver of Grass said...

I don't know how they make pancetta Tom - suspect it is to do with the way the ham is cured.
But I do agree with you that it is tastier in a sandwich. I wasn't going to eat any more today but now, writing this, I am sorely tempted.
Thanks to you all.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

If there was blue sky today I never say any - it's been a cold, if mainly dry, day. I've spent a lot of it outdoors though, which is good.