Wednesday 18 April 2018

Gates

After two days hard work by the joiner, this evening I have new fencing and new gates shutting off the back garden from the front.   Once I have checked all side exits through next door's fencing on both sides, I shall be able to let my dog out into the back garden for a wander without the fear of her getting out.   This is my last big job on the bungalow and it is completed - a great relief, now I can relax.

Our walk first thing this morning took in a row of flowering currant bushes in absolute full bloom and almost every bloom had a bumble bee on it.  At last signs of Spring are arriving and the sun came out to verify it. 

As I have visitors coming to stay fr a few days next week I have done several major (for me) cleaning jobs - I cleaned all the inside windows (the window cleaner did them outside last week).
I washed out the  kitchen cupboards and then - hardest job of all - put on a clean duvet cover!

I am saddened to read that John is hoping to leave Trelawnyd - I have enjoyed the life of the village for so long that I feel part of it.   Wherever he and the Prof move to I do hope John continues to regale us with the doings and the goings on in the area.   Knowing what a lovely, friendly and helpful man he is he will certainly be a great asset to any community who are lucky enough to get him and the Prof in their midst. 

Just a footnote.   Did anyone else see the clip on Breakfast T V this morning of the mother gorilla kissing her newborn baby?   It was utterly delightful.   Don't let anyone ever tell me that animals don't feel love.

16 comments:

justjill said...

Great to get those jobs done. So glad you kept your lovely dog. Mother love - whatever the species, no denying it..

Unknown said...

But that gorilla was sucking the mucous out of her baby's mouth and nose....a classic sign of maternal instinct across the animal kingdom. Is that where the human form, a kiss, has its roots??? OK I'm a scientist, but with romantic roots!!

Rachel Phillips said...

I bet your cupboards were clean as you have only lived there 5 minutes. Mine get cleaned once a year if they are lucky!

Heather said...

I have one more major job to be done on my flat but am waiting for the plumber to contact me about the shower room. I think he needs another nudge!
Your garden must look so nice with the new fencing and gate. It will be good to know that Tess can go into the garden now it is secure.
I am sure that all animals have feelings. We lived near a farm years ago and I hated hearing the cows mooing into the night when their calves had been taken away. I'd never have made a farmer's wife!

Sue said...

Duvet covers are always a fight aren't they!

angryparsnip said...

Tess will be so happy to wander her garden.

cheers, parsnip

Bonnie said...

I'm so happy to hear you have the fencing done. It will be much easier for you to just let Tess out in the early morning or late evening plus it will give her a greater sense of freedom and fresh air! How wonderful that spring is finally arriving there!

Joanne Noragon said...

Lucky dog, Tess. She will so enjoy wandering at will.

Susan said...

Some years ago a gorilla gave birth at the Calgary zoo. As she had no role model for birthing or mothering, her keepers played videos of gorilla births and babies which she watched intently. The birth was filmed and you see one second of shock and surprise as the baby slips from her body and then such joy it stabbed me in the heart and undoubtedly the hearts of all mothers who watched.

Derek Faulkner said...

Duvet covers - every man's nightmare but good training for taking up wrestling.
Do you anticipate your guests going round looking in your cupboards then?

Gwil W said...

The universe and the creatures in it is a real mystery. Yesterday I saw a programme where they filmed and recorded some bats catching moths congregating where a light was shining. It turned out there was one type of moth, amongst this fluttering cloud of various sorts of moths that had developed the ability to imitate the sonar of the species of bat and therefore escaped being eaten. I think we should endeavor to understand the abilities and traits of the animals in order to become better people. In mosques here and in other places they are dressing up small children as soldiers and getting them to play war games. It's on the front page of the paper this morning under the headline p: Enough! I sometimes think animals have more sense than humans.

Tom Stephenson said...

I can't remember the last time I saw the back of any of my shelves.

Jean Ellen said...

The mother gorilla kissing her baby made me cry. It was so sweet! I didn't know other animals actually kiss like we humans. So adorable.

Gwil W said...


It's in the post:

Bill Gates

Linda Metcalf said...

John leaving the village is a sad passing....I too hope he keeps up his blog.

donna baker said...

Oh I wish I could watch that gorilla and her babe for hours. Out in the lake a new mother mallard isn't watching over her new hatchlings as well. Nature I guess.