Saturday 7 October 2023

Scrimshanker

 Several busy days over the last week, plus the mini-trauma of a morning having my cataracts examined - all adding up to last night being a night of restless sleep.   So today I am weary.   I just feel like sitting about doing very little.   Watching World Gymnastics - such brilliant young men and women launching themselves into thin air, trusting their skill to stop them falling headlong in a heap on the mat.  Such elegance.   Yet watching them is not relaxing.   The possibility of falling heavily is never far away.

Trawling through 'rubbish' that has accumulated in my computer I came across this poem I wrote a few years ago for The Poetry Bus.   This is just how I feel today:

Scrimshanker.

Today the dust lies thick

as the sunlight falls on the shelf.

It also falls on the apple-blossom

on the tree by the window.

I go out - touch the blossom -

smell the scent of Spring;

watch the honey bees

-models of work and efficiency.

The dust lies thick.

 

Yesterday the weeds were crowded in the garden:

chickweed, groundsel, fat hen,

the ubiquitous dandelion.

I bend to weed -

touch the yellow flowers -

miniature golden suns all over the garden.

Count the heads. 

I cannot destroy

a hundred suns.


Someone should clean the windows;

sunshine shows up the smears

- it shines on the cobwebs

of fine gossamer -

threads that shimmer and 

tremble in the breeze.

The busy spider is

weaving his way across the web.

I fetch my sketchbook.

I need to capture the beauty

on the page.

(Scrimshanker - an avoider of work)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great! A hundred suns, and threads that shimmer and tremble in the breeze. Love it. - Pam.

Heather said...

Beautiful. I have had quite a few days like that myself, but could never have expressed them so perfectly.


Anonymous said...

Once again I must say - John (Going Gently) is not the only one that should write a book. Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hello Pat- I’ve tried commenting a few times but it never shows up here… anyway, I really want you to know that I love your posts, and I think your poetry is beautiful! Xo, Ricki

Granny Sue said...

This is just perfect. Thank you for sharing.

The Furry Gnome said...

I think I'm a scrimshanker at times.

Barbara Anne said...

What a wonderful poem and a new to me word!

I agree that watching gymnastics on TV is not relaxing at all. You just have to help the athletes stay in the air and land just right, don't you?

Sweet dreams and hugs!

Victoria said...

A perfect description of me, my windows, the dusty shelf, but not my garden. All the weeds have been conquered, but alas the pine needles and leaves are. beginning to fall. No rest for the wicked I guess.

Librarian said...

I feel like doing "nothing" today (except for some ironing), but it is Sunday after all, and supposed to be a day of rest. The weather promises to be really nice and relatively warm at 23C this afternoon, so I might go for a walk to catch the late afternoon light and the sunset.
Your poem is so expressive!

Rachel Phillips said...

I have never heard the word before which I have not written. (The poem is autobiographical I do believe).

thelma said...

A magpie mind, we pluck the things out of the air, and fall short of 'what we should be doing' As someone said 'life is too short to stuff a mushroom'

justjudithanne said...

Lovely.
I’m right there with you experiencing the hedonistic pleasure of being idle while Mother Nature is at her industrious best.

Susan said...

Well stated. Eloquent as well. Thank you for sharing.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. Seems we all have these feelings sometimes.

Traveller said...

I just love this.

I love the whimsy and the way it seems effortless.

Debby said...

I love this, Pat. I have learned a new word. I also see you in a new light. You have always struck me as the epitome of industriousness.

Sue in Suffolk said...

That's a new word to me too.
I can always find something to do rather than dusting!

Jacque from Colorado said...

First of all, I love the word "scrimshanker"! Even more now that I know what it means! "I cannot destroy a hundred suns" takes my breath away. So glad you found this poem and "dusted" it off for the rest of us to ponder and enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful line about the suns.