Monday 23 October 2023

Dog or Cat?

 Or neither?   Or both?

There is an article in today's Times which suggests - according to the Headline - that 'Dingoes were once man's best friend'. Research carried out in Australia at a place called Curracurrang (anarchaeological site near to Sydney)found that dingo bones were buried alongside humans at least 2300 years ago.  The fact that they were buried so close together suggest they  had 'almost human' status.,

Europeans arriving in Australia in the 19th and 20th centuries saw many dingo puppies living in Aboriginal settlements.   They had been taken from wild dens and raised by humans.   When they were about a year old they returned to the wild  as the mating urge took hold and were not in contact with humans again.   (dingoes are thought to have been taken to Australia by Asian seafarers about 4000 years before any Europeans arrived.)

Now they are seen as pests and shot or poisoned because sheep seem to reign supreme over there and sheep are easy meat for dingoes.  But they are still 'recognised' as dogs.

Some folk love dogs, some love cats, some love both and some love neither.   Judging from the number of dogs around here (almost a status symbol amongst the retired on this estate) it would seem the dog reigns supreme.

Cats?   Well one of my carers. W, has three Bengal cats and an ordinary 'moggie' and loves them  dearly, as well as her three Chihuahuas and German Shepherd. (I think from this we can assume she loves cats and dogs equally).

My main carer, J, claims she doesn't like either but I notice she regularly has her daughter's dog to stay if they are going away and she tells me this morning that the cat who lives in the flat above hers considers itself to have two homes.   Its 'official'  home where there is central heating and a winter home with J who has a log burner.   Yesterday J opened a window a little way when the sun came out and then towards tea time lit the log burner.   She watched as the upstairs cat squeezed through the window, strolled across the room and curled up in  front of the log burner.   At bed time the cat had disappeared and she assumed her partner had let it out at some point.   When she got up this morning the cat was sitting on the window cill and pointedly staring at J to be let out the same way it came in.

Most folk feel that dogs are more friendly than cats.  The old saying goes:

Dogs look up to you.

Cats look down on you

But pigs is equal.

I love both (all three in fact) but I certainly get the feeling, as most of us do, that a dog is a faithful pal, who is a real companion and can easily be trained, whereas cats (apart from toilet habits - and let's face it, they are very clean animals, much cleaner than dogs (well have you ever seen a dog clean itself?) -  cats do as they please, stay where they like( ie where the food is more to their liking, where the bed is warmer, where there is a log burner!).

My carer's friend had (note 'had' not 'has') a cat for a few years and then it vanished.   After searching and putting up notices she gave it up for lost or run over on the main road - that is until about a year later when walking along a footpath on the estate it suddenly walked out of the hedge bottom and came up to her calling loudly.  She picked it up, she was ecstatic as she carried it home until she turned up the drive when it bounded out of her arms and hared back up the way they had come, shot back under the hedge and went back into its 'new' home.

Interesting - if whether or not we insure them against illness is a guide to which we love most - in Denmark 72% of dogs have vet insurance and 24% of cats.   Here the figures are 58% of dogs and 37% cats.

So make you choice.   Mine?   I can't have another dog because I can no longer walk it and I don't have a cat because the road is too busy and I couldn't bear to see it run over (seeing 'my' hedgehog flattened on the road a couple of weeks ago was more than bad enough).   Cat, dog or nothing?  (unless you opt for  my friend's Chamelon - Charles - or my carer's son's Lizard - the late Gerald now just a little cross in the front garden.)

29 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

My cats are very loyal. They suffered several weeks of grieving when their brother died recently and have only just recovered. If I have been away for a few days they stay by my side the whole time on my return and will not let me out of their sight and miaw constantly. My neighbours have remarked on this "have you ever seen such cats".
I always dispute it when people suggest that cats are aloof or not friendly. But then I am a cat person as are all in my family. My brother's cat would sit with my mother during the day and go home with him at night and was always described by my mother as like a human and he was. He knew exactly what to do and when. All my cats have been like this so perhaps they just respond to some people better than others and I talk to them and tell them off if appropriate and praise if appropriate.

jinxxxygirl said...

20-30 years ago i would have told you whole heartedly we are dog lovers... without a doubt. Nothing really against cats just you know we were dog people.. Then cats started coming into our lives.. And we are the better for it..

Eventually much to his horror hubby came up allergic to dogs.. We tried a few more but after a few weeks of them being in the house(which by the way is just long enough for me to fall in love with them) he comes up allergic.... So i finally said no more.. my heart couldn't take it..

But lo and behold he could handle short hair cats... And so we've had several. We keep them as inside cats. Frowning at people that let theirs run loose to have any number of things happen to them . I especially frown on them using my flower garden for a littler box.. Never understand how people can care so less for their animal to let them run around loose.. We love dogs but cats hold a special place in my heart... Hugs! debs

Hard up Hester said...

I'm an animal lover, cats, dogs, rats, stick insects, anything as a pet and I'll love it.

Derek Faulkner said...

Well that's a question that's guaranteed to spark a lively debate.
All I'll say is that I've had dogs for the last fifty odd years and I loathe cats.

Marcia LaRue said...

I have had both dogs and cats, but the cats are cleaner and easier to take care ... litter boxes are easier then having to take a dog out to walk if you don't have a fenced yard!
I love cats ... especially Maine Coons they are such beautiful loving cats!!

su-zee said...

I live in Devon and I would definitely say there are too many dogs here. People walk with two or three and they are all over the pavement-tripping people up and scaring old or frail people. Dogs are very needy-you always have to be thinking about their needs.I prefer the independent spirit of cats.

Rae said...

I am inclined to agree with Rachel as well as some of your other commenters, that cats are more intelligent than many realize, and some may seem aloof, but in their home environment, it's an entirely different dynamic. We have 2 black "alley" cats and 2 abandoned as kittens, one of which is a calico and the other a ginger (the only male). Each have a different personality and there are people who claim that all black cats are special and have a much different personality than other cats. A bit more mischievous. My cats are all indoor cats only. If I lived in the country, I might have a different attitude about in and out with cats, although there have been very sad stories about things that happen to cats when they are allowed outside. We have a feral cat problem stemming from irresponsible owners that do not spay or neuter and allow their cats outside or abandon them. It goes without saying that I have a very negative opinion of people like that. I do love dogs also but every neighbor around us have at least 1 dog. The feral cats take refuge in our yard. Ranee (MN) USA

Heather said...

As a family we have never had a cat as my daughter really does not like them. We have had three spaniels from puppies, one cavalier and two springers. The springer spaniels we had together for twelve years. After a break of five years we have had a rescue dog since January. A very sedate and gentle Lhasa Apso. Sadly spaniels and arthritis in the knees do not go together. Our son has the most aloof cat I have ever come across!! Yes dogs can be more needy, but give me a dog any day.

Heather said...

In my time I have had both, but do have a preference for dogs. I really miss having one but I know I couldn't give it the life it needs. As a consolation prize I treated myself to a resin cat, curled up asleep and so lifelike that visitors are taken by surprise when told it isn't real. If I stare at it long enough I can almost see it breathing!
Although we are not really allowed pets in these flats, two of my neighbours have 'house' cats with which they moved in. I don't like the idea of cats being kept inside all the time, they are such independent creatures.
I get my doggy fixes by accosting people walking their dogs and ask if I can say hello. That sets me up for the day.

English Rider said...

If you'd like a cat, someone could build a "Catio' enclosure for you, so that the cat is not deprived of outdoor stimulation but is protected from the dangers of the road. Best of both Worlds.

Tasker Dunham said...

Cats every time. Dogs are dirty smelly clumsy things.

Gigi said...

I love both cats and dogs. At present I have a 9 year old dog, but in the past many cats. My favourites were two sister Siamese, one for each daughter when they were young.. those cats were almost like dogs. I won’t have any more pets as I am getting old. If anything happens to me, and it will, my daughter will take my dog.. I hope my dog and I will do at about the same time.

Susan said...

I also love both dogs and cats. My neighbors all have both. One neighbor has 6 cats and 2 dogs. This is where I learned more about cats and all the various personalities they can carry. They are fascinating and with 6 they keep my neighbors on their toes. Some sit inside bookcases quietly watching everyone. Others hide and show themselves only fleetingly. Some choose someone they like and want to sit on a lap and purr.

Joanne Noragon said...

Cats, hands down. Easy to care for, on the whole as affectionate as a dog. Goes for walks outdoors with you, which amazed me when I realized the cat was actually following along with the dogs and me.

anonymous said...

Through the years I have had canaries, parakeets, finches,cats,dogs, rabbits,turtles,and almost every type of fish kept in aquariums .I simply enjoy living creatures

anonymous said...

Plus I had a home in the country that everyone knew was a good place to drop off unwanted feral or tame cats,I would let them get to know and trust me,then take them in to be spayed or neutered,get their essential shots and try again find them a home. Before I left that home to move to this one I had 2 small cats that no one had adopted so I brought them here with me, Mary

Margaret said...

Dingoes can be very dangerous.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Azaria_Chamberlain

Debby said...

I enjoy having a pet around. Tim doesn't like animals in the house, and so there will never be another dog, sadly. But we have Houdini the cat. He was feral, enjoyed a nice time inside, but over the summer decided that he really enjoyed being an inny-outy cat. Now that it is getting cold, he's spending more time inside, and he is quite a lovebug.

Cro Magnon said...

It's been a while since I had a cat, and I miss that. However, I'd be totally lost without Billy my Border Collie. He makes me do things that otherwise I might not; like going for walks whilst it drizzles.

Librarian said...

In theory, I love all animals - even wasps and mozzies, as I know each and everyone has its place in the ecologic system of this planet, and if you take away one, the whole balance is upset.
In practice, I love both cats and dogs (and foxes and squirrels and cows and horses and sheep and pigs and rabbits and hares and...), but have grown up with cats. My last cat died of old age 11 years ago, and the way I live now, with most weekends away and frequent trips for work plus holidays, it would be very unfair to have any type of pet live with me.
But I plan on having a dog and one or two cats when I retire, which is supposed to be in about 12 years.
Like Rachel, I can confirm that cats are loyal and loving (while still having their own minds - and why not?).

Anonymous said...

Cats for me.
The distinct and differing personalities of each, in the course of sharing my life, have been wonderful. My constant first friend, sitting in the back yard as a baby, was Ginger, the neighbour's cat, and I've been hooked ever since.
We have a rehoming for pound dogs program here on t.v. I have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it, because there's quite a bit of sadness involved before a positive outcome is achieved, which is of course, wonderful and rewarding. There is an aspect of dogs and their unwavering commitment, loyalty, trust and hope that is beyond sad to see crushed. Cats seem to have a 'whatever' attitude, though our feline strays and rescues have always seemed incredibly appreciative. No doubt all shelter animals are.- Pam, Aust.


the veg artist said...

I often think that my little tabby cat is on a piece of elastic, she stays so close to the house. She has her 'inside' and 'outside' times (very keen on the TV), is very affectionate, and just observes garden life, not chasing anything. She came to us as a tiny stray, completely adorable. My previous cat had lived to 18, an outdoors boy who loved nothing more than jumping in piles of leaves that had just been raked up. Both very much individuals, with character aplenty. I would love a dog for even more interaction, but our boundaries are not dog-proof.

The Weaver of Grass said...

If I had time I would make a list of your preferences. I have several friends who have cats and find great comfort in having (not owning as cats in my experience scorn being owned - that is why I like them) If conditions change and cats don't like the change then they do tend to go and find soewhere more to their liking.- however much you love them and however much they return that love - they are independent - much more so than dogs who can be almost servile.

Thanks for the lively discussion.

Yellow Shoes said...

They say if you were to text your dog to tell him you were on your way home he would immediately reply - I'll be waiting for you at the door!
A cat wouldn't even read the text, never mind replying!
However I do love cats!

hart said...

I would love another cat, or two. They would have to be inside because of the cars, to which we lost our last cat, and that seems such a limited life. There are things called 'Cattios"--screen houses that go on the lawn, so maybe someday.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely post
I like both. Allergic to both.
However, cats and I have a connection that is different than what I have with dogs. Dogs are friends, easy communications, one of the pack thing. Cats are bossy and judgmental.

Emily Shorette said...

This time, the NBA became the first major sports league with a trans referee. You can read about in my blog, www.emilyvirtualrocket.blogspot.com.Thanks very much for taking the time. Emily Shorette

Anonymous said...

Dogs for me - no cats! Jackie

The Weaver of Grass said...

Somelovely and amusing comments since I left my thank you!