Saturday 12 August 2023

Words

 First of all apologies that my asterisked footnote appeared in sickly green and heavy type.  I had no idea that had happened - it wasn't intentional so I must have pressed the wrong button somehow.

The trouble with reading a really good writer like Steinbeck (who I wrote about yesterday whilst reading 'Travels with Charley',) is that it makes one realise just how pathetic one is at stringing words together.

Driving through 'Redwood country'  Steinbeck marvels at the beauty of the remaining giant Redwood trees - so few now remaining where there used to be thousands.

He speculates that so many have been chopped down and what a crime it was to do that.   He suggests that perhaps we don't like to be reminded that we are 'very young and callow in a world which was old when we came into it'.   And maybe a good reason for using their timber and chopping down so many of them is because there is perhaps a 'strong resistance  to the certainty that a living world will continue its stately way' long after we have ceased to inhabit it.'

A genius like Steinback can say in one or two sentences exactly what the likes of me, struggling along to say what I am trying to say every time I put a post on, can take fifty times as many words and still not hit the nail squarely on the head.

Yet again I have been transported through  America with Steinbeck and Charley enjoying every minute of the ride  as though I was travelling with two good old friends.   But that is I am sure the intention of all writers of his calibre. 

Must try harder.   See you tomorrow.

** And thank you to readers who corrected me to say that the writer of   'Ann of Green Gables' lived on Prince Edward Island which is, of course, in Canada not the U.S.                        

14 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

Well Steinbeck's long dead so he must have been ahead of his time.

Granny Sue said...

Now I am even more anxious to find that book!

Barbara Anne said...

Don't we all wish we could write like our favorite writers do? Methinks you write with clarity!

I still want to find "Travels with Charlie", too.

Hugs!

Susan said...

I agree, great writing transports us like nothing else can. Steinbeck is one of the best.

Sal said...

I’ve taught Steinbeck’s ‘ Of Mice and Men’ for many years! It’s a wonderful book with superb characterisation! And of course, the treatment of Crooks brings tears to one’s eyes!

But what I wanted to say was that I visited my son, earlier today, and I just happened to ask if he had, ‘ Travels with Charley’….he put his hand on it immediately and I’ve brought it home for bedtime reading! 😁

Joanne Noragon said...

And I have read Travels with Charley, but it has been awhile. I must read it again and thank you for the recommendation.

Red said...

I must read some Steinbeck again.

Brenda said...

I taught Steinbeck. That one not a favorite. Glad you enjoyed it.

Cro Magnon said...

It is such a pleasure to read books that are beautifully written; I find it as important at the book's content. At the same time I am often amazed that publishers will publish books that are so obviously badly written, and I'm afraid they are in the majority. The age of the 'Celebrity Writer'.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Interesting what you say Rachel and too right I think he was well ahead of his time (but by no means alone in his thinking.) I wonder whether he could even 'dream' of one day Barak Obama being president.
Joanne - Do read it again - I thought it 'went off' in the last few chapters but he was by then I think pretty desperate to get home.
Sal - I do hope you enjoy it - not only did I enjoy his adventures as he travelled round the US but I also loved his relationship with Charley.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

Tom Stephenson said...

A few years ago I read everything by H.V. Morton I could find. I preferred him to the writers who covered the disappearance of America because of the scale. America is too large for little English me.

gz said...

Steinbeck was a brilliant writer..telling it as it was, even when weaving it around a story.
I liked Travels with Charley.
Pirate isn't a reader, but the old film of The Grapes of Wrath really made an impression on him

The Weaver of Grass said...

gz yes, Travels with Charley is so readable isn't it/ After years of teaching Grapes of Wrath it is a pleasant relief to read something so lighthearted (in almost every chapter.

Librarian - absolutely agree - me too.

Jinksy said...

Hehehe- I've spent the last half hour in a battle with Blogger who seemingly sent my longwinded comment into a big black hole. I will now try again, not to recreate what I wrote, but to (perhaps) send a splash of colour for your imagination. *smiles*

Lavatera

And the scudding clouds streak across the sky;
thin, vaporous beings, insubstantial,
yet softening the effect of a day
when sunshine may otherwise prove too strong
for tender petals blushing pink with shyness.

Close-cupped buds hide in spherical silence,
while trumpet pistils herald golden light
from central tones of ruby at their base,
deep notes resonating in harmony.

A summer symphony is created
for our enjoyment. The natural world
is generous with its gifts to mortals.