Thursday 31 August 2023

September tomorrow.

Where has August gone?   Wherever it has gone it has gone there in a flash.   My last lovely village lunch was in June - there was none in July and none in August, but I do rather think they begin again next week.   I do hope friends S and T are going to continue taking me - it is such a lovely occasion.

 I had a really lovely evening last evening.   I rarely listen to music because my hearing loss tends to distort my hearing of musical sounds and, being a musician, it distresses me that I am not hearing the right note.  It got so bad that if The National Anthem was being played I could not tell what it was from the musical sounds, only from the beat. 

But since my attack last October and the complete change of medication from Epilim to Leviteracitam  the condition seems to have improved and when I saw that last night's 'Prom' concert was a really special one - the "highlight this year" as suggested by one of the music critics- I decided to give it a try.   There is always the 'off' button.  

But I have to say it was not needed.   The concert, on BBC2 from 7.30 to 9.30pm and it was Sir Simon Rattle's farewell concert -  the Prom of Sunday August 27th -  as he leaves his job  as Director of Music and Chief Conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra to do more or less the same job as Chief Conductor of the Bavarian State Orchestra and the Bavarian Radio Chorus.   (He has both German and English nationality).

He chose to leave with Mahler's Ninth Symphony - the 'farewell' (it was Mahler's last symphony - his Tenth being unfinished upon his untimely death.)  It is a mammoth work.   It was superb and Simon Rattle's last concert coupled with Mahler's last finished farewell symphony made it quite an emotional evening for everyone - audience, orchestra and conductor.

Before that mammoth work there was another emotional piece -  Poulenc's 'Figure humaine' a poem set to music during the second World War and smuggled out of Nazi occupied Paris to London, where it had its premiere on 25th March 1945.   It is an unaccompanied cantata and it was such an emotional piece sung so beautifully.

By the end of the evening Sir Simon Rattle, the orchestra and the singers were all emotionally moved as I suspect a large part of the audience were too.  (and me)

I drew the blinds, turned the lights low and switched both phones off before it started and it is a long time since I had such an evening. 

It has been a lovely sunny day today - a definite Autumn chill in the air but nothing that an extra jacket wouldn't cure. 

Hopefully I will be back with more thoughts tomorrow. 

16 comments:

JayCee said...

That sounds enchanting.

Barbara Anne said...

I'm so glad you could enjoy the farewell concert along with so many others.

We're having a small taste of autumn here with the high a breezy 22*C and sunshine but summertime heat will return in a few days.

Be good to you, Pat!

Hugs!

Heather said...

How wonderful that your new medication has helped your hearing and you can once more enjoy listening to music. I am having sinus problems which led me to think I might be going deaf, but both ears are clear, but in spite of that my hearing is distorted at times so I can sympathise with you. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and am hoping he can suggest some effective treatment. Following various treatments from the practice nurse has had no effect. They'll be sick of me at the surgery if I have to go back again.
I hope your lunch days recommence soon. They will be a pleasant treat to look forward to.
Weatherwise, I am pinning my hopes on September or a golden October.

DUTA said...

Hearing loss got improved by change of medication, with no need for hearing aid? That's terrific!

Bonnie said...

I'm so happy to hear that you can enjoy music once again. Thrilled for you, actually. May you rediscover old musical friends each day.
Bonnie in Minneapolis

Gigi said...

I would be lost without being able to listen to music everyday. I am blessed to have very good hearing. I used to listen with the volume up higher than high and my mother told me I would lose my hearing, but I never did what she said. Glad she was wrong so far. She also old me i should marry a rich man younger than myself. I married a man 11 years older with very little money and I was extremely happy for the 35 years before he passed away. I am glad you got to enjoy the concert last night and wish you many more enjoyable evenings.

Mary said...

So happy for you dear Pat. Hearing such a wonderful concert was a huge gift, especially in the comfort of your own home. You didn't even have to put your makeup on and click your red high heeled shoes!!!! Music is so important in our lives in this difficult time all around the world.
Hugs, Mary X

Red said...

You're fortunate to have such a concert on public radio.

Brenda said...

Awwww…the music..
You have such a great blog.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a good time with Sir Simon Rattle's concert. My emotive experience with concert performances centre around the late Jaqueline Dupret. I knew nothing of her and her wonderful cello performances until the 1999 film 'Hilary and Jackie' was released. My friend and I needed a stiff drink at the pub after seeing that.
The film and book by sister Hilary divided the family and infuriated Hilary's friends.
Werner Thomas does a superb tribute to her with a cello concerto 'Jaqueline's Tears'.- Pam.

Anonymous said...

..infuriated Jaqueline's friends I mean, not Hilary's. -P.

Librarian said...

Your new medication must be really good if it even affects your hearing positively. You have mentioned hearing aids before; do they need adjusting now, or were you even able to listen to the concert without them?
The transition from late summer to early autumn is a time of year like no other. None of the other changes of season fills me with the same mix of wanting to keep hold of summer a bit longer, and looking forward to the joys of autumn.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Librarian. I listened with my hearing aids in - was far too enthralled to think of taking tham out to see if things were different! I too look forward to Autumn (and my 91st birthday!!

I haven't seen the film but I remember her well in the early days of Sir Simon Rattle's reign. Sad how so many highly talented people die far too young.

Mary Your reply made me smile especially so in the light of what I am writing about today!

DUTA I still need my hearing aids..

Thanks to every one of you. Have a good week-end.

Jules said...

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the concert.
Summer has flown by. And I got a shock at just how early it got dark last night. Xx

Ellen D. said...

How nice that you can enjoy music again. Have a nice weekend, Pat.

Debby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.