Wednesday 2 August 2023

Ouch!

 My Physiotherapist has been again this afternoon - in the most appalling weather - absolutely pouring with rain here for most of the day.

The pain that was bothering me which made me call her in the first instance has disappeared after following her given exercise regime and - for the first time in months - I can now get both legs into bed unaided.

But accommodating my new reading light entailed a lot of moving and shaking for want of a better phrase.   Emptying book shelves - reaching up to the top shelf, the sorting books out into my chosen categories = Poetry, Novels, Wild Life and Natural History, Autobiography and Biography.   Then after the electrical work was done, putting everything back in its right place.   Hard work and next morning realising that I had done too much and that although my first set of aches and pains had gone a new set had taken its place.

So today within five minutes of arrival - as usual - she put her thumb on the offending place and nearly made me hit the ceiling.   Ten minutes of pain and a new set of exercises and off she went, trusting me to do the exercises and saying she doubted I would need another visit.

By the time she left the rain had stopped and looking out of the window now thin streaks of blue are showing here and there in what has been - all day - a grey, threatening sky.    Still we won the last Test so I really don't mind if it rains now.

Having said that - I take it all back.  Farmers who are wanting to harvest must be despairing at the weather.   At least grassland farmers will mostly have got two silage crops in and all this rain will be making a third crop highly likely.   There was a time a couple of months back when it was so dry after a cut that the new grass just wasn't growing.   Now it has gone to the other extreme.   Is there ever in our lovely island a perfect year for the farmer?

19 comments:

Derek Faulkner said...

The farmers here on Sheppey are really struggling with trying to get the wheat and barley harvested. They managed to get two huge fields done a couple of days ago but the grain will still need drying properly in the storage barns, which is an expensive operation.
Another field of well ripe wheat is now starting to blacken with mould due to all the rain. It's been a very wet day today.

Librarian said...

Your physio lady is really very competent! Good for you to follow her instructions.
Today has been the only completely wet day of our 12 days in the UK, so I can‘t complain at all.

Derek Faulkner said...

Just as well the Librarian wasn't visiting Kent for those 12 days then.
One thing has been noticeable so far this summer, no one complaining about having to suffer more than one hot day!

Gemma's person said...

Being a farmer is a gamble any year.
Glad your physio is the best! I bet she wishes all her patients were as good at following instructions as you are!!!

Barbara Anne said...

Hope the new exercises help your new painful areas as much as the first set of exercises helped.

Yes, farming is always a gamble and perhaps with climate change, the odds are worse than ever. Hope not.

Hugs!

Sue in Suffolk said...

I'm very glad I no longer have to think about hay-making.

Good to hear your physio is doing you good

Tasker Dunham said...

Was very impressed by one of our local farmers getting in his crop on the one dry day but windy we had recently. The wind had dried it out. Timed to perfection.

Librarian said...

Derek, people back home kept telling us about frequent (and very welcome) rain, and how with the chilly mornings and evenings it felt rather like early autumn already. We‘ll see for ourselves very soon, leaving Friday morning.

Joanne Noragon said...

I must find motivation to go out. I've lost all sense of the seasons!

Susan said...

With weather patterns shifting, it must make things even harder for farmers. Your Physio lady pressed one spot, triggered a sharp pain and solved the problem. That is truly amazing.

Debby said...

Your physio lady is a miracle! It strikes me that even though you no longer have a farm, you retain the sensibilities of a farmer.

Red said...

Is there ever any place in this world that has a good year for a farmer? I was raised on a farm in western Canada. Weather was always an issue.
On he other hand , I've had my share of physio therapy. It works if you do what they tell you.

Terra said...

I admire farmers, what they do is of utmost importance producing food for us all. I know you have farming in your background. I am concerned about the Dutch farmers being forced off their land, they are very efficient, I hope they win their legal battles. Your physio lady sounds like she is quite expert.

Cro Magnon said...

We've had some rain here too, but at least all the Wheat is in and most of the hay-making is over. Next crop Sunflowers, then in Autumn it's the Chestnuts.

Jules said...

I'm fed up of the rain now. The garden is getting so overgrown. Xx

The Weaver of Grass said...

Red - totally agree that if you are given exercises or told to rest - it works. If you dont follow their instructions it is a wste of money.
Susan - a good physio knows where there are places which fill with fluid if there is an injury. What she is doing is pressing the place so that the fluid empties and the pressure on the joint is lessened.

Thanks everyone. Also I report that it is now Thursday and I have just walked to the post box and back - my physio's visit has worked wonders - haven't been able to walk out for week.

Ellen D. said...

How lucky you are to have a physio that will come into your home and solve your aches for you! Stay healthy, Pat!

Heather said...

Our weather this year must be a nightmare for farmers, market gardeners and many other businesses. How grateful I am to be too old to have to worry about it.
I am pleased that your physio seems to be as good as mine at putting her hand right on the spot, even if she does make you hit the roof. It is certainly worth a moment's agony to have ultimate relief from pain.

thelma said...

Glad you are feeling better.