Wednesday 7 September 2022

Rain

Just as I thought- in the time it has taken me to answer all your answers from yesterday, what threatened has arrived - it is now a cold, wet day.  I refuse to put the central heating   so it is a cardigan instead.   As usual my carer arrived in a very skimpy top and quickly complained of being hot.

It is only a week since my gardener did all the cutting back and tidied in the garden and already many of the clumps of herbaceous plants are in bloom again.

I am looking forward to this afternoon.   My friends P and D who often come over and meet W and I for lunch, went over from Grange over Sands yesterday to a village near Scarborough.   They stayed there with friends overnight and go back this morning.   They will eat lunch somewhere en route on the way back and then call here mid afternoon for a stop and a cup of coffee - they intend to stay around an hour.

The sun is out, the rain has stopped and it is marginally warmer outside.   I see my lunch is on the kitchen table - a ready-cooked salmon steak with new potatoes and a salad.   My favourite.

 

See you tomorrow. 

13 comments:

Melinda from Ontario said...

Enjoy that lovely salmon lunch as well as your company this afternoon. I love having friends over for coffee and tea. The whole focus is on catching up and there's no looming concern about food in the kitchen that needs to be served at a particular time.

Susan said...

I am very happy with all the rain. My rain meter says we've had 5 inches over a 3-day spread. Salmon is always a perfect meal and one of my favorites as well. Your newly trimmed plants having another bloom is terrific. New growth and color is outstanding in the garden. Enjoy your coffee date and catch-up with friends.

Ellen D. said...

Another fun day for you! Your posts sound happy!

thelma said...

Salmom and new potatoes we had a couple of days ago, always a favourite.

The Weaver of Grass said...

So far you all seem to love salmon - such an ordinary food now - so luxurious when I was young.

Derek Faulkner said...

When we were young Pat, it was proper wild salmon, not the farmed stuff from Scotland.

Debby said...

It sounds like your rainy day was quite cheerful! I like salmon as well, but it is a rare treat here.

Librarian said...

Strangely enough, I have never liked salmon - but I do like fish, trout being my favourite. I don't like seafood, either; anything that has tentacles or long legs etc. (crabs, crevettes, prawns, squid etc.) - you name it, I don't want it :-D
I am sure you had a good coffee afternoon with your friends, leaving the carrying things through etc. sensibly to them, like Rachel suggested the other day.

Derek Faulkner said...

Well, our near four month drought here on Sheppey is now hopefully over. We had a lengthy period of rain overnight and another couple of hours of heavy rain this morning, with more forecast.
Seemed strange this morning getting up to a dripping wet garden, hopefully now the lawns and the grazing meadows will quickly begin to green up.

Anonymous said...

Husband and I went to a wedding once where the entree was a seafood risotto. Husband was nervous, as like Librarian, tentacles, crabs, and as he says, 'river bottom feeders' leave him cold. When the individual dishes were placed in front of us, it was full of tiny octopi with stiff little tentacles and green/grey molluscs. A guest next to us had been absent in the bathroom when the dishes arrived and was surprised to see so many of these creatures in her risotto on her return. "We've all eaten ours' we chimed, dabbing our mouths with serviettes...'mmmm...delicious'. -Pam

Librarian said...

Oh that poor other guest, Pam!! Did she fall for your act? :-D

Marcia LaRue said...

I suppose you have heard ...
Queen Elizabeth has passed away today!

Brenda said...

Liked the Queen
Especially liked Cmas Day speeches