Monday 19 September 2022

Brilliant

 I must say that I have been glued to the television screen all day today to watch Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II's funeral.   And I have to say that the organisation, the spectacle, the way the BBC have presented it - all have been excellent in my opinion.   Hardly a hiccup and then only a small one here and there..   And one tiny touch I  found so pleasing - the new Prince of Wales had his son, Prince George who I think is nine, standing next to him during the service.   Surely at that age a very awe-inspiring and slightly scary experience.  At one point during the service he looked up at his father and the Prince of Wales put his hand down, took hold of his small son's hand and gave it a squeeze. What a loving gesture I thought.

I think all the family - and especially His Majesty King Charles III- look exhausted and drained - please let them have a few days break  now to grieve.

Meanwhile life has gone on. Now her late majesty has I believe been laid to rest by her beloved husband and I can get round to thinking about what to write to you about each day.

A free easy day tomorrow and then on Wednesday a trip twenty miles or so to have my next Covid jab.Thursday is my hair day and then everything back to normal.

My Covid jab means a journey through Wensleydale to the little market town of Hawes - about twenty miles through lovely scenery - the road follows the River Ure the whole way.   The last time I was there was  in the Spring with plenty of lambs frolicking - this time the leaves will be beginning  to turn.   How quickly the seasons pass.   See you tomorrow.


14 comments:

Heather said...

You have voiced my thoughts on today's proceedings exactly. A marvellous spectacle from start to finish, and like you, I wish all members of our Royal Family a few days well deserved rest. Your drive through the Yorkshire countryside will be beautiful, and I do hope the weather will be kind to make it more so.

Brenda said...

So glad you are getting booster…I do too despite my side effects…fantastic today…memorable

Rambler said...

Weave, did you notice that Princess Charlotte, age 7, was also there, next to her Mum? She was difficult to see as she was dressed in black with a wide-brimmed boater type hat on; it meant that you were able to see little of her face. But she was also very well-behaved and even reading her order of service, trying to follow the hymns.
The Piper playing a lament which gradually faded as he walked away was very poignant, bring out goose-pimples on my arms and neck.
Like you I hope the family have time and space to relax and come to terms with what has happened now - though I doubt it.
And what a rough start for Liz Truss as the new Prime Minister without the benefit of our Queen's wisdom and advice in her new job. Enjoy your beautiful scenic drive tomorrow!

Tasker Dunham said...

Isn't that Beethoven Funeral March (the Walch arrangement) moving!
https://youtu.be/XF71TKKgcwY

The Furry Gnome said...

We watched the service in Windsorand really enjoyed it.

Debby said...

The look on your new king's face when 'God Save the King' was sung at the end of the service. He looked so very tired and so very overwhelmed. His mouth twisted, and I felt like it was a heroic effort to keep his emotions in check. How very nice that it is done and the family can now do their grieving out of the public eye.

Cro Magnon said...

My favourite bit was seeing the huge mass of bagpipe players, all in their finest uniforms. What a magnificent sight and sound. My least favourite bit was seeing a certain American girl there. Maybe she was researching nasty subjects for her next Oprah interview.

Derek Faulkner said...

There were so many good events in the BBC's excellent broadcast that I couldn't list them all here but for me it got off to a magnificent start with the massed bagpipes and drums. It was a magnificent day.
On the down side, like Cro said, was Megan being there and it'll be interesting to see what she has to say in the next few months. Harry also looked unhappy, as though he didn't really want to be there, apart from saying cheerio to his grandmother.

Librarian said...

Enjoy the drive to Hawes - hopefully the weather will be good, it must look so beautiful now! I also hope the jab won‘t give you any negative side effects.

Margaret said...

I sat up through the night here in New Zealand to watch the televised broadcast. Amazing. How wonderful the pomp and pageantry. And I was so very very impressed with the amazing wording of the gentle commentary of the BBC. Although shattered today after a sleepless night I wouldn’t have missed it for anything.

Jennyff said...

Magnificent event that it seems half the world was watching. I hope this coming together has a lasting benefit and that the royal family now take some private time to grieve and rest.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the scenery as your travel through Wensleydale.
The pretty Spring blossoms and flowers have all become bedraggled here. The weather had a glorious start for Spring, but it has been necessary to put the heating back on, as rain and grey days continue.
We have been shown England at its finest over the last couple of days. It is only starting to hit home, after the funeral itself, that an exceptional era has come to a close.-Pam, Sth Aust.

thelma said...

The funeral was magnificent, the attention to detail superb. Little bobs and bits, highlighted by the two great grandchildren, two corgis and Emma, the Queen's riding horse standing to attention amongst the flowers. In all a happy, sad event in which the whole world found a place. I think that was what Queen Elizabeth II wanted.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Yes a glorious day all round - especially corgis and that pony which The Times says dipped its head as she passed.

Thanks everyone.