Tuesday 20 September 2022

Chilly

 Autumn is here in NorthYorkshire with a vengeance and I had forgotten just how much I feel the cold th   ese days.   I set the heating to come on at eighteen yesterday and it never came on once but I was cold all day.   I have layers as though it was mid winter and have just ordered a fleecy body-warmer to see if that helps.   I shall have to break the news to my carer in the morning.   She thinks I have enough warm clothes to clothe the whole road.   Fortuitously an organisation came round with bags asking for clean, wearable clothes and we have been able to fill it read to put out early in the morning.  (with clothes which no longer fit).

Well its all over, everyone is on their way home and the Royal Family are now having a week of private mourning.   The King looks absolutely exhausted - what a job to take on at his age.   I hope he and his Consort spend a few days this week at Highgrove, which they love.  Do they have dogs?   I wonder what will happen to all the dogs.   I heard that Her Majesty has had seventy corgis in her lifetime and that Prince Andrew is taking over some of the ones living now.

Its funny how we all like different breeds isn't it?   The estate where I live is awash with dogs - almost all are pedigrees - lots of shid-zues, lots of Labradors/ Retrievers, a fair number of Spaniels and three or four Pugs.   One Red Setter I always notice when he goes past -a beautiful dog and a breed my father always loved (my mother hated dogs and refused to have one).   A large number are Cocker Poos or Labradoodles or some such.   There are also a fair number of retired Greyhounds which, apparently need little exercise and two or three Whippets.   And - I have to say - very little dog poo around - most people are exceedingly good at picking it up and putting it in the appropriate  containers for collection.

My garden is  providing me with a new crop of Autumn blooms - antirrhinums  in assorted colours continue to spring up everywhere as do osteospermums and michaelmas daisies.  crocosmias are continuing to flower.   I must say that rain now and again has continued to keep us damp too, unlike poor Derek who has suffered greatly until the past fortnight.

Well friends - plenty to look at on TV this evening which is nothing connected with the Royal Family - let them have the rest they deserve.   I think the BBC's anchorman -I'm not good on names but think it might have been Huw Edwards (I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong)- deserves some kind of award for his stalwart coverage don't you?

See you tomorrow.   Covid jab for me.


21 comments:

JayCee said...

Keep warm and hope all goes well for you tomorrow.

Martina said...

Hope the vaccination went smoothly.
I’d heard prince Andrew’s ex wife Sarah was going to take care of the corgis.
My neighbor has a corgi. Lovely dog but not a breed I want. He loves to plop down near feet or walk in front and sit suddenly aka a trip hazard!

Barbara Anne said...

Hope your new cozy body suit helps keep you comfortably warm. Like you, I am often cold so dress in layers.
No Autumn temperatures here and today thru Thursday will be in neighborhood of 31*C. By Friday, it will cool to highs about 25*C and that will be lovely.
Lucky you to have a garden that provides wonderful seasonal color and so many dogs to enjoy when you and Priscilla are out for a walk!
Will this be your 4th or 5th covid jab? Wishing you well.

Hugs!

Derek Faulkner said...

Sadly Pat, the couple of wet days that we had here last week have been followed by several breezy, sunny days that have pretty much put us back to square one dry again.

Ursula said...

Dogs appear to be a highly sensitive subject in blogland. I once mentioned that bulldogs are ugly. Which they are. You can't dispute facts. Never did I say that the ugly are unlovable. They are [lovable]. Still, the blogger in question (he who dotes on his squidgy faced concoction) is of closed mind and even more prejudice, took offence and told me I am even uglier. Well, not that I said it, as usual he got his facts wrong. And, anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If given a choice I'd have a REAL dog; not a handbag one. No doubt influenced by the fact that my first bodyguard was a black Alsatian/German Shepherd. I was barely out of my nappies. Sitting on his hindlegs, next to me, he was taller than me. There is a wonderful portrait photo of my mother and Pongo (yes, really, that was his name). My blond beautiful mother with, in stark contrast, black Pongo. Both so poised.

Mind you, to keep things in balance, there is an image of my brother. He must have been in his late teens, tall, long legs, taking my youngest sister's dog for a walk. Teenie was tiny. Dachshund. Adorable. I can say for my brother that it takes a man to walk such a small sausage with dignity and not a care in the world.

U

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog by chance and want to say hello and thank you for the lovely blog. I went to Yorkshire years ago, what a lovely region it is.
I hope you can keep warm, here in Germany where I live temperatures have dropped to 5 degrees celsius, I've been freezing for days...what happened to warm & golden autumn days, I want to know? Hope they come back.

Cheers,
Birgit

Tasker Dunham said...

I'm afraid we began to find Huw Edwards a bit turgid. He might have taken on too much. I never ever thought I would say this but at times we turned over to ITV where Mary Nightingale and Julie Etchingham were doing an excellent job.

Brenda said...

I watched on You Tube without an announcer. I did not like the talking during the time it was all going on. I can't imagine standing in line like that...or standing still...the pony...the little boy and girl...the bagpipes...the legacy this woman has left behind with her family and the world...the week plus was pretty long for everyone, but I guess it was necessary. Took me back to places I had been when I was over there...loved it...I don't watch television per se as I only have Hulu and Netflix...I watch series...enjoy your rest of the week...

Heather said...

So sorry you feel the cold so easily. That must be as bad as reacting badly to a heatwave. I am revelling in feeling cooler at last and have never welcomed autumn as readily as I have this year. Hope you manage to keep warm and comfortable.
I love dogs, and spaniels and labradors were my favourite breeds. However I make friends with any dog who will welcome it.
How lovely your garden must look now with all that late summer colour.
Hope the Covid vac. goes well tomorrow and that you have little or no discomfort after.

the veg artist said...

The Queen's dogs are going to Andrew and Fergie (who still live in the same house). It was Andrew who gave the Queen these latest two. Camilla has two rescue Jack Russells. As far as I'm aware, Charles does not have dogs - probably too worried about his borders being dug up!
And Camilla and Charles have gone back to Scotland for a week's peace!

Terra said...

Keep warm in your new warm clothes you ordered. I have always enjoyed seeing photos of the Queen's corgis. My dog is a mixed breed, perhaps half Chihuahua, part corgi and part terrier. He looks exactly like my favorite childhood dog, such a sweetie.

The Furry Gnome said...

I feel the cold so easily too, and my wife constantly mocks me for it.

Susan said...

Keeping warm is important throughout the winter months. I hope your new blanket works well for you. I also like dogs. They are wonderful to have and make good family members. It rained most of the day today and I am grateful for it. No sun, just cool misty rain.

Granny Sue said...

I do hope the family have some quiet and privacy now but it's unlikely given all the duties upon them now.

Dry here too, after a terribly wet summer. No rain for 2 weeks and all is dry as dust.

Debby said...

It has gotten noticeably cooler here. We are avoiding turning on the heat but I do need my fuzzy bathrobe in the mornings these days. I found the piper's lament fading off as he went down the hall most moving.

Hilde said...

We had a lot of rain during the last two weeks and the lawn has miraculously turned from yellow to green again. For the flowers however, the rain came too late.
I had not planned to watch the Royal funeral,but I turned on the TV just to pass some time while the marmelade I was cooking came to the boil, and I stayed glued to the TV for the rest of the day.( I did switch off the marmalade.) I really don´t know what to say, There will never be a person like HM Elizabeth II again, and there will never be a spectacle like her funeral again.
Hilde in Germany

thelma said...

The South wind is going to blow soon, so it should be warmer, and a hat indoors will stop the heat escaping from your head - chuckle. As for dogs, spaniels and labradors are probably my favourite type.

Librarian said...

Last night was close to frost here for the first this season, and it is only 3 or 4 Celsius now, but bright and sunny. Today is also the autumn equinox if I remember correctly, so light-wise, we‘re on a downhill slope until the 21st of December.
Maybe changing the settings of your heating by one or two degrees will make you more comfortable at home. Like we said before, you certainly should not feel cold in your home, at your age and condition.

Rachel Phillips said...

I agree with your carer.

Frances said...

I think that you should up your heating by a couple of degrees at least...18c is not a comfortable temp. for someone of your age who is largely sitting down ! Hope that you can stay warm.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone.
Barbara Anne - no idea is my answer to your question!! I just have what is offered - I also have my winter flu jab on the first of October.