Thursday 24 September 2020

Thursday

I wouldn't say that today is Autumnal I would almost say it is wintry.  I don;t know how you are feeling out there but the last few days for me have been incredibly busy but when I look back at what I have done it is all 'nothing'.   I had a stern talk to myself a few days ago because if we are likely to go into some kind of lockdown again, as seems quite likely, I think it is important - certainly for me at any rate - that I keep myself busy and occupied.   My mobility is poor, I walk slowly so that if the weather is bad, like it is today, I really can't go out for a walk with Percy, there is plenty of reading in The Times - and plenty of Mind Games too - and I do make sure I make nutritious meals for myself - but I need something else.   My hands are now too shaky to do any kind of craft work, although I am contemplating buying some sock wool, four needles and knitting myself some warm winter socks - my feet are permanently cold.

Today is my hairdresser so I spent half an hour down there early this morning but was back home by ten.   After my morning coffee my soup maker made me a jug full of Leek and Potato Soup for my lunch and I did something that I have not done before in my 87 years - I made a curry from scratch.  I have eaten plenty of curries in Restaurants but this time I made one from start to finish.   I found my Social Services trolley really useful as I was able to load all the spices and bits and bobs on it before I started.   I found the recipe on line and it was delicious.  The curry was 'Chicken/Butternut Squash Samla Curry' and the author of the recipe was Marie Rayner.   So thank you Marie - I shall come back for more recipes in the future.  I need to make more curries because, of course, I had to buy all kinds of spices in order to make this one and I don;t want a lot of tubs of spices mouldering away in the cupboard.

Well it is almost evening now.   I have just had a forty minute Zoom meeting with my Windermere friends and friend W from the village. It seems, the way things are going, that it will be a long time before we see them again in the flesh. 

18 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

We have had foul weather this afternoon -temps down to 12 deg., heavy rain, thunder and hailstones! Tam made a vat of Summer Squashes Soup (from the garden) which had plenty of curry powder and Cajun seasoning in and is delish. We have some for lunches and some in the freezer now too.

That curry you made sounds a good one - just what you need this weather. A good curry is my favourite meal.

Keep active just walking round the house when the weather is bad - think of the Bronte sisters walking round and round the dining room table - and carry on enjoying your puzzle pages.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

I hope you find comfy socks to keep your feel warm. Fleece lined booties feel like I'm wearing clouds.
Thank you for the curry recommend! The website, cookeatshare dot com has a lot of Rayner's recipes. Her apple & cardamon custard tart, and grandmother's steamed brown bread, small batch are bookmarked as well.

Rambler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
justjill said...

11 degrees here and the wind. Yep back to big boots and big coat tomorrow I think. Check out pulmonary physio exercises. I can recommend them as being able to do and pace yourself and build up. They include walking on the spot!

Heather said...

Your curry sounds like the perfect meal for this colder weather. I haven't had to put my heating on yet but it wont be long I'm sure. Knitting is the perfect pastime and less demanding on the eyes than reading. I think it also gently exercises stiff finger joints. I am trying not to buy any new wool as I have a lot of oddments so will probably start making more Twiddle Muffs for dementia patients. A good way to use them up and make something useful at the same time.
Keep snug and safe, and occupied.

Chris said...

I check Marie Rayner's blog from time to time but have never used any of her recipes. Time for me to do just that!

Bonnie said...

Your curry sounds wonderful! It is always good to try making new dishes. I hope it doesn't get too cold too soon for you. We had some very comfortable Fall temperatures and now it has gotten hot again. I doubt it will last too long this time of the year though.

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

All this hearty food talk makes me want to eat. This afternoon I fried some new potatoes, tomatoes and mushrooms and grated a bit of cheese on it. Surprisingly nice.

Joanne Noragon said...

I can recommend real wool socks to warm and sooth the feet. And easy to knit. The only knitting pattern I know by heart. You can't fudge a sock.

Cro Magnon said...

I made a Chicken curry last night too, and in about 30 mins I shall be having the left-overs for breakfast.

The Feminine Energy said...

Things are ramping up like crazy, virus-wise, here in the USA also but you'd never know it by the actions of people & government. Things are opening back up as if nothing is wrong. Most people can hardly believe it!! We stay home and when we do go out, we wear masks and practically sterilize ourselves once we arrive back home again. The future certainly seems uncertain, doesn't it.

I'm so happy you enjoyed your curry. I personally can't stand the stuff. *lol* I don't much care for a lot of spices. But I'm glad you drew comfort from it.

~Andrea xoxo

thelma said...

Even my Lucy enjoys a mild curry. If you are going to knit do stick with 100% wool. the artificial materials used for sweaters is definitely not warm, M&S seems particularly addicted to a funny substitute.

angryparsnip said...

It has been "cold" here only 100 finally ! So tired of the 115 to 118 months of heat.
So happy you made some curry. Son makes all sorts of wonderful curry and I can enjoy eating them.
I hope you don't go into lockdown again !

Librarian said...

You have put a lovely image in my mind, Pat: You in your warm, neat kitchen, making that curry from scratch, wonderfully appetising spicy scents wafting around.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks everyone. And there is enough curry left for today's lunch - and I am sure I shall enjoy it just as much.

Thanks Jill I shall look at those exercises.

And I shall certainly return to Tayner's recipes too!

Christine said...

Marie Rayner's "English Kitchen" blog is one of my morning reads. I've made a few of her cake recipes and they have been excellent. She is also very good at answering any questions you might have.

If you decide to knit socks please buy a good yarn that has some nylon in with the wool as it helps with the durability, Regia and Opal have some lovely colourful ones and it's fun watching the pattern/stripes emerge.

Christine

Jennyff said...

If your sock knitting doesn’t work out I’ll knit them for you when I return to the UK, though when that might be depends on many things. West Yorkshire Spinners produce some lovely yarns, reared sheared and spun in Yorkshire, Keighley to be exact.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks Jenny - I will have a look at their website. Stay in Italy while you can it is freezing cold here in Yorkshire.Thanks also Christine for your suggestions.