Friday 25 September 2020

Winter

Yes, Winter has arrived early this year.   At least it is not pouring with rain today but there is a howling gale blowing and it is certainly not safe for Percy and I to walk out.   As with so many days lately I seem to have been really busy all day doing bits and pieces and now that evening has arrived I am hard-pressed to recall them.   Several bills paid, several files sorted out, one parcel of new trousers and sweater unpacked, tried on (such a chore) and hung in the wardrobe.   I knew that they would fit because they are the same as the ones I received last week end and they had to go back because they were too tight.   I put that down to eating during lockdown so am now on a much stricter regime and have already lost a couple of pounds.   My poor ankles just can't tolerate any increased weight.

My builder is coming shortly to repoint the eaves of my bungalow before the Winter and he called in first thing this morning with what I thought was a very reasonable quote so I have asked him to proceed as fast as possible before real Winter arrives.   Our road  runs directly East to West and we really catch the wind.  The back of my bungalow faces to the North but luckily my back garden is quite steeply sloped so I am more sheltered from the North.

It is almost time for Gardeners' World - as you know it is one of my favourite programmes (although I have a feeling it is sans Monty tonight).

Curry left from yesterday was just as good today for lunch - in fact maybe tastier.   Rather like stews and casseroles - they usually taste better the day after.   My soup-maker leek and potato soup was certainly easy to make because you basically shove everything in and  the machine gets on with it.    I have always made a lot of soup though and I think my own recipe is superior.  The reason being that the soup maker recipe includes double cream and really I think this is quite unnecessary.   In future I shall substitute semi skimmed milk - particularly considering my weight issue!

See you all tomorrow.  Sleep well.  Switch the blanket on early.

14 comments:

Heather said...

I think we must be kindred spirits - both preparing for winter. It was certainly cold this morning. I went out quite early and was glad to be wearing a mask - it kept my nose warm!
I have two new pairs of trousers to shorten, plenty of warm sweaters ready and waiting, and have made a large quantity of soup which is portioned and sitting in the freezer. I only need the electrician to come up trumps and fix my hall heater and I shall be ready for whatever weather we get. Night night.

Tom Stephenson said...

Last week we went to The Newt in Somerset, and - blow me - Gardener's World featured The Newt's gardens (without Monty) the same night. Monty was talking about his mental illness in the form of depression recently, and I warmed to him for that. Being a celebrity is not as trouble-free as it looks it seems.

Doc said...

It is our third day of a cold rain but we have desperately needed any rain the clouds could give us. Today it is heavy rain and I am having a tough time getting our Roxy to go out and make her business.

Chris said...

Sorry for your weather woes. We are having a final blast of summer here this weekend with temperatures in the mid-20's.

Joanne Noragon said...

We had a short bout of winter, and then a bit of summer again. I was hoping for a mild winter, but perhaps not to be.

Cro Magnon said...

Occasionally we seem to live parallel lives. It's Leek and Potato soup here too today (with cream); I made enough for several days.

jinxxxygirl said...

We are actually having a Fall here in Arkansas Pat... Doesn't always happen... most years it seems Summer runs right into Winter... I do love a beautiful Fall.. Some leaves have begun to turn but mostly its the critters i notice... The deer started their Winter coat rather early this year i think... I didn't notice a Hummingbird at the feeder today so they may have taken off South for their long migration.. Spiders are building webs EVERYWHERE... the dragonflies have gathered in the field across the way.. sunlight glinting off their wings.. a beautiful sight to be sure.. I even saw two Eagles this past week.. You don't think they are migrating already do you? Maybe they know something we don't know.. Squirrels are busy... I pick up acorns on my walks and place them on a stump in my yard.... Any squirrels that live in my yard have a diet of pine nuts... pine nuts and more pine nuts so i always think they enjoy the little variety...lol Wonderful post Pat... love to hear of your day to day life.. one you might think of as mundane yet it is so different from my own.. Take care my friend.. Hugs! deb

The Feminine Energy said...

It's been in the 70s here in northern-most Indiana so we're having a wonderful autumn so far. Soon enough though the lake-affect snow will begin and we'll see nothing but white outside until March. I love winter but for some reason I'm not looking forward to it this time around. Stay safe... and warm! ~Andrea xoxo

thelma said...

It is cold and there are already pictures of snow up on the moors. The strong North wind is not helping much either but then I suppose it is Autumn.

coffeeontheporchwithme said...

Leek and potato is one of my favourite soups (I make it myself, too). I'm glad you got a good quote for the work you are going to have done on your house. As other Canadian commenters said, we are in a stretch of beautiful warm weather, but our trees are letting us know that it is definitely autumn. -Jenn

Maudie said...

I found the Gardener's World on a British channel offered by my streaming service and have it ready to view tonight! Thought of you immediately.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

As I went to the shop this morning one of my elderly neighbours called out to me that it was getting chilly. "Yes, very autumnal" I said. "More like wintumnal to me!" she said.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Tom Monty has a new book out this week - I have asked for it from my son and his wife for my birthday. I saw The Newt gardens Tom - beautiful werent they?
Cro parallel lives in very different weather.

Thanks veryone for your cheery comment.

thousandflower said...

We had our first gale of the season on Wednesday. Wind and rain and even a small thunderstorm.