Sunday 20 September 2020

Sunday

 Sundays are quiet too now that I don't risk going out for Golf Club lunch.   In many ways I miss it - most of all the company, but also the luxury of not having to cook my own food.   But I kept another meal out of the freezer from my delivery - chicken and bacon in white wine sauce and I served it with a mixture  ofparsnip , runner beans and leeks - the last two from a friends' garden.    I have to say it was delicious.   I also had the longest walk with Percy that I have had in a long time an my ankles feel much better for it.

I was back home (I stopped for a long time to chat to friend M - we are both members of the Book Group and got talking about books. ) in time to watch the final three hours of Le Tour de France - and I must say it was all very exciting.  What incredible stamina those young men have and what a lovely speech the Irish lad who won the Green Jersey made.  It was also a joy to see the parents of the young man (the youngest for 111 years I believe) who won there to cheer him on.   They looked so proud of him.

Later this evening I watched the new three part play on BBC1 - it is called 'Us' and was a delight to watch I thought.   Did anyone else watch it?   If so do let me know what you think.

So apart from my walk and cooking my lunch I have really had a very lazy day with far too much  television in it.   I fear with the advent of the darker nights this may be the pattern of things to come.  When I think of the craft work I used to do - the beading, the quilting, the knitting and crochet, the machine embroidery - none of which I can do now because of my shakes - I am sad.  It's called 'getting old' and you have to fight it tooth and nail!!

9 comments:

The Feminine Energy said...

I think you should try to find a craft where your "shakes" won't matter. How about mixed media? Have you ever heard of Lorrimarie Jenkins? She has a YouTube channel by that name. Why not give her a watch and see if her type of art suits you. Jittering hands could very well work to your advantage with that technique (altered books, etc.). Watch her and you'll know what I mean. Good luck~ Andrea xoxo

Joanne Noragon said...

I don't know that artist, but it certainly seems worth a look.

Red said...

You're right. We have to keep pushing ourselves to keep going. Many times we're not half as bad as wee think. Enjoy your day.

Bonnie said...

I think you are a very artistic person in many ways. Why you designed that beautiful garden space and instructed the gardeners in how you wanted it done!

Rose ~ from Oz said...

A wonderful walk..what a blessing. Times are so different now. In my wee part of the world in Australia we are largely unaffected by covid. But friends and family in Victoria not so. I read blogs from the UK and see how life and reality really is in these trying times over there.
I'm so sorry you can't enjoy those wonderful crafts you so enjoyed. Hopefully there will be something else yet undiscovered.
Your meal really did sound delicious by the way!

Jennyff said...

Loved The Tour this year despite the difficulties of Covid, the final result was incredible. Even if I didn’t love cycling I’d watch it for the scenery so I’m looking forward to the Giro d Italia in a few weeks. Also watched the new drama, which I think is going to be quite entertaining especially if the family are to visit all the planned European cities, I shall stick with it. Today we have an amber warning for thunderstorms, just as well we did plenty of viewing yesterday as the tv and internet will be unplugged, we can already here distant rumbling.

Frances said...

I watched "Us" and really enjoyed it. Tom Hollander is excellent in everything he appears in...though having said that, we saw him on stage a couple of years ago...he was as good as ever but the play was dire.....or I didn't understand it!! Can't remember what it was called. I read the book a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.

Ursula said...

Sorry to hear about your "shakes" - and how you feel it limits you doing your crafts. If it's any comfort, Weaver, and I have said it before, you may be getting old but you are fully compos mentis, strong of brain and mind. Nothing wobbly there. Admirable.

U

The Weaver of Grass said...

Yes Frances - the Times critic this morning gives it a very good write up and also praises Tom Hollander as superb in it.
Thanks Feminine energy - I shall go now and look at that site.