Sunday 16 November 2014

My diary

Well, dear readers, how fascinating my one-year diary turned out to be.   I kept it in four spiral notebooks, one for each season, from Autumn 2010 to Autumn 2011 and reading through it reminded me of so many things I had completely forgotten.   There were records of people who had called to see us and what I had given them to eat, records of places the farmer and I had visited (it was the year we went to The Netherlands, so there was quite a lot about the various art work there), it happened to be the year when I had been airlifted to hospital (only a couple of weeks ago the farmer and I were trying to decide how long ago it was) - and there were so many incidents in it about which I had completely forgotten.

I shall certainly pass it on one day to my son, although whether he will want to be bothered with it is up to him.   At present he seems to have little interest in Family History.   And on the subject - it was always spoken in our family about my mother's brother, Uncle Abe, who farmed in the Lincolnshire Wolds where I spent many happy holidays in my childhood, how he had won the Military Medal in the First World War.   A friend has recently researched it for me and there is no record of this at all.  It seems it was a Family Myth - and I would guess that there are plenty of those around.

This morning, now that the early mist has cleared, there is a pale sun shining and it is still - in other words a lovely Autumn morning.   I am enjoying a relaxing morning as, along with friend W and the farmer, we are going out for Sunday lunch.   Lovely not to think about what to cook.

 

14 comments:

Barbara said...

It sounds like you are set for a lovely Sunday!
I love history...of all kinds. I always think it's interesting to look back and see what was happening on a particular day many years ago. I have a whole set of calendars with notes on each day.
As for family history "myths", I wonder just how many of those there are! I know there are several in our family tree.

Heather said...

Grey and overcast here, but not raining. I am already concerned for those living in Somerset and wishing them a far better winter than they had last year.
A diary is so useful for reminding us of what happened, and when. Memory and time play tricks on us. I think one day your son will appreciate your diary. I often find myself wishing there was still someone in the family who could answer various questions which I didn't think to ask years ago.

Joanne Noragon said...

I've found the next generation less than interested in family history I've recorded. I got over it.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hey Pat,
I just remembered, I am currently keeping a gratitude journal. I number the lines, and each entry is just one line. I never considered that it is really a diary of sorts, but I guess it is.
Hope your lunch was delicious.
:) m & jb

MorningAJ said...

Will you publish extracts? I'd love to read a few bits if you don't mind sharing.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I love old diaries - mine or someone else's. I'm sure one day your son will be happy to have the remembrances.

angryparsnip said...

I don't keep a diary anymore but I do keep a Jar.
Starting January 1st... Write one good things that happen to you on little slips of paper.
Surprise gifts, goals finished, natures beauty, funny moments, memories just anything.
Then at the end of the year read all the great, amazing, fun things that has happened to you.
I date the slips of paper and also write something I have done for others too. Today's is a check I am writing helping out for Christmas gifts for children of parents in a drug treatment center.
For me it is quick, fun and shows sometimes on the gloomiest of day there can be something wonderful.

cheers, parsnip

Cloudia said...

Lovely lingering with you. Thanks





ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

Virginia said...

Good morning Weaver!

It took me til today to do my maths homework!! I think the answer is 22,550,528,000.... am I anywhere near correct? I asked the senior school teachers at school and they certainly didn't think our Year 5 students could manage that sum! Nor our Year 8 students - that's the final year in our primary system here.

ChrisJ said...

I keep a diary for noting things like when we bought new carpet, when the plumeria bloomed, major weather events like earthquakes and tsunamis, the last time I took the cat to the vet -- all the things I'm going to say that begin "When did we...?" I have diaries of info like that , that go back years. So useful!!

Cro Magnon said...

My oldest son was recently doing some genealogical research, and similarly discovered a few myths; some good, some bad.

thelma said...

There were a lot of secrets in my family, which was sad but I think came with the 20th century generation of people....

The Broad said...

Indeed, it is quite wonderful going out for Sunday lunch!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks for these - they are all so interesting. Call again.