Thursday 13 November 2014

They are here!


Just in time.   The farmer cleaned out the loose housing earlier this week and spread the 'muck' on the fields.   Yesterday he spread a deep layer of straw and this morning the farmer's son called to say he was walking over the fields with the first cows this afternoon, for their winter stay.
And here they are, complete with the salt licks to aid their digestion (i.e. make them drink more).   All are (hopefully) in calf and all look jolly happy to be inside as it is an awful dark, cold day today. They walked across the fields (the farmer's two sons rode behind them on the quad bike), came in and went straight for the silage.

I love it when they come for the Winter (these will be here until a week or two before they are due to calve unless there are complications) because it means there is always life in the yard when I go down to get the car out of the garage.   Even the farm cats, Blackie and Creamy were out and about, watching the proceedings - I think they are pleased too.

16 comments:

Yael said...

I always liked cows. It is so good to have a criture with big good eyes in your yard.

angryparsnip said...

I too love when the cows come. So exciting for us long distance viewers.

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

They are a lovely sight and look in excellent condition. I can almost hear the sounds of gentle munching and heavy breathing.

MorningAJ said...

I grew up near a dairy farm. Looks good. Reminds me of home.

Joanne Noragon said...

And I remember uncle and his farm dog Shep bringing the cows in the milk. Long ago, in the forties. Cows are such peaceful animals.

Doc said...

My grandfather was the field inspector for dairy farms and when we came for a visit he would always take me with when he went to test the milk. I loved all the cows happily chewing away.

Julie Clay Illustration said...

I am really pleased to see this, on a particularly selfish level, as I have grown increasingly fearful of walking through fields of cows, being a bit of a walker. I've been hassled twice by them and it's got a bit daft, but I can't be doing with walking through them, what a wuss:) I'm glad they are safely gathered in, hope all cows are everywhere! I do think they look quite nice however.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Frugal in Derbyshire said...

I see you've got the nutter that hates American Women . He has visited my blog today too.
Regarding cows, We have cows next door at the moment and I love to watch them.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Miss Josephine, being a suburban kitty, went out in the cold today for exactly 90 seconds before yowling to come back in!
We have just gotten carpeting for the living room, and she is in 7th Heaven playing on it with the acorns I collected for her in October. Your cows do look cozy.

Barbara said...

Nothing like a barn full of contented animals on a cold, dark day!

Amy said...

NZ is cow country too lol, everyone has just finished calving here.

Cro Magnon said...

Our lovely Blonde d'Aquitaines have gone back to their winter quarters, and we miss them.

I see you have a visit from the Idiot American Misogynist. I had him yesterday; it's your turn today!

Tom Stephenson said...

I'm guessing that the top pic is salt-lick? I am still getting music from your blog, btw!

Em Parkinson said...

I just love cows and completely understand how nice it must be to have them safe and warm....ish. You've reminded me I need to get a new salt lick for Trigger!

Linda said...

I have always loved cows. However, living in a city (Montreal, Canada), I don't often get to see them. Great post!