Sunday 30 November 2014

Ravenstonedale Chase

Today the farmer, Tess and I have been through Wensleydale, along to The Moorcock  Pub (on the edge of the Carlisle to Settle railway) and then up the side of the railway as far as Lady Anne Clifford's Pendragon Castle, where we turned left across Ravenstonedale Chase and through to the village of Ravenstonedale for lunch in The Black Swan with my God-daughter and her husband.  It is a gloriously wild, untamed area up there with miles with no habitation.   You really get some idea of how very bleak it must have been in Lady Anne's day.

Lunch was splendid (baked ham with mustard and ginger sauce



for me and brisket of beef for the farmer), the company was first class, and - for the first time in four long days - we saw wall to wall sunshine.   It has been foggy here since Wednesday morning, and today the sun shone.   There were clouds, which always makes the Dales exciting because some areas will be in sunshine and some in shade, making for fine views.

Coming back, the sunset was spectacular and I managed a shot, although do bear in mind it was (as were all the other shots) from a moving car.   A lovely day out.

Sorry it is a hurried post, but there is a queue to use my computer. Sorry also that my pictures have appeared in the middle of the writing.   Can you spot the farmer walking Tess up on the Chase - fairly high up on the left of one of the pictures?

12 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Fantastic views - what a wonderful ride and a great dinner.

angryparsnip said...

Beautiful photos. Thanks for the day trip.

cheers, parsnip

Barbara said...

Sounds like a lovely day, complete with lovely views! Thanks for sharing.

Hildred said...

Beautiful photos, - what a nice outing. I think your header is just splendid, Pat.

ChrisJ said...

Love that wild, bleak landscape.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Glorious landscape, but only when it's not lashing down with rain!

Gwil W said...

Mention of Pendragon Castle reminds me of the time I wandered over those ruins before I saw the Keep Out sign. A strange habit I have is that I never notice these signs until its too late as you well know Pat.

Elizabeth said...

A wonderful outing !- I always like it when you mention the food.
Yes, I did spy the Farmer and Tess.

thelma said...

Lovely photos, wild Yorkshire and the sun is such a blessing when it does arrive!

Heather said...

I love those wild and unspoiled places although I haven't the energy to reach them myself. Your day sounded wonderful. In response to the comment you left me, do you use a walking stick? I don't use one all the time but took one with me to Glastonbury and found it very helpful.

Frances said...

What a glorious way to appreciate a sunny day and gorgeous Yorkshire landscape.

Like you, I love the contrast of bright sunlit areas and shadowy parts as the clouds and sun do their dance across the sky. I could watch those subtle changes for a long, long time.

(May I also mention that your lunch sounded very delicious, too.)

Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!