Monday 24 November 2014

Three cheers for us oldies.

He's done it!   I did a post about him when he set off - so here's one when he has arrived.   Sir Robin Knox-Johnston, at the ripe old age of 75has arrived in Guadeloupe in his 60ft yacht 'Grey Power', after coming Third in the solo trans-Atlantic race Route de Rhum.

He was the first man to sail solo and non-stop round the world in 1968/9.   He says about this recent race that he is 'absolutely over the moon to come third.  It is quite fantastic.'   All I can say is well done Sir Robin - I absolutely agree with you.   Three cheers for all of us oldies.

And while we are on the subject of 'honours' for G B - well done too to Lewis Hamilton on becoming World Champion in Formula 1 for the second time.    Wonder what he will do when he is 75.

15 comments:

Tom Stephenson said...

It is a real shame that now, whenever I hear his name mentioned, all I can think of is him poo-ing into a bucket on the high seas. My fault, not his.

MorningAJ said...

Wonderful news. I'll be happy to still be able to walk on the beach at 75!

Heather said...

Well done indeed, and a wonderful feat. I think I have mis-spent my youth bringing up my children. They have worn me out and I now have no energy in my 70s for such amazing adventures.

Gwil W said...


There might be snow on t' roof but there's still a fire in t' grate.

I think it's a Yorkshire saying. At least I first heard it there.

Mary said...

Oh huge congrats to that gentleman - I've only done the crossing by ocean liner, with a posh bathroom to boot!!!
Here's to all of us in our wonderful 70's - or even more!

Mary

Mac n' Janet said...

That's fantastic, you have to keep moving, if you slow down they might catch up.

Anonymous said...

Oh, isn't that delightful, to remain vital and adventurous. Well done!

The Broad said...

Just goes to show '75' isn't as old as some thing it is...

Doc said...

The 70’s are the new 60’s and I am going to keep telling myself that!

angryparsnip said...

Brilliant !

cheers, parsnip

John Going Gently said...

Poo in a bucket?

Tom Stephenson said...

Yes - a gimble-bucket swinging on a rope over the side, apparently. Shot!

Cloudia said...

impressive!



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^=

Cro Magnon said...

I'm saving all my great exploits for when I'M in my 70's.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Keep going is my mantra and it should be everyone's. My late father in law' dug the whole of the veggie garden three days before he died very suddenly - maybe a connection, we shall never know, but he was 88 and he had always 'kept going.