Tuesday 25 November 2014

The passing of the old.

A village stalwart has passed away this week - a charming lady who has had far more than her share of illness over the past few years, and a lady who has been a pillar of the community as long as I have lived here - and many years before that.   In old photographs of the village she is always there - arranging the flowers, singing in the choir, helping at village occasions.   She will be greatly missed, not only by her family but also but the village and the church community.

Her passing made me think of village characters who pass away and I knew that somewhere in one of Ronald Blythe's books there was a passage on just such a theme and I was pretty sure it was under an article on All Souls' Day.

So this morning I looked it up and read it.   He says, 'I am suddenly struck by how swiftly they vanish.  Here today and gone tomorrow.  Why hasn't the village collapsed as prop after prop is taken away?   How is it that church-wise they have all gone without leaving an unfillable space?   Something strange here.   Is this what mortality is?

Even after all these years since my first husband died (23) these words are so real - that is village living I suppose. Whatever the answer is I know that the whole village will mourn her passing.

15 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

It is a unique experience living in a village Pat. It has been the making of the way our marriage has evolved. I am always keen to return home - even after a short journey.

Tom Stephenson said...

I think that villages, towns and cities are as organic as we are.

Elizabeth said...

A loss indeed. She sounds a most valuable and excellent woman.
So very sad.

Your new header is splendid.
Thanksgiving coming up here.
I have much to be thankful for.

The Broad said...

I think about this more and more as I get older and older. I do believe we leave 'something' of ourselves -- however, not what we can fathom-- we become part of the spirit of space and time that is built into the framework of the future ...

Gwil W said...

There's a lot going on in villages, often more than meets the passing eye, and generally people pull together. Now and then a know-it-all arrives but generally types are soon on their way again. I enjoyed my years of village life in the Lune and Ribble Valleys.

Twiggy said...

We have several village stalwarts who are getting quite elderly now, they make the world a brighter place for everyone.
Twiggy

angryparsnip said...

It is sad to hear of another passing but that is a way of life.
how nice that the space in the village will be filled somehow but the heart remembers.

cheers, parsnip

MorningAJ said...

Everyone leaves an impression and together they form the picture of what the village is. I've now lived in my current village for nine years and I hope I would leave an impression by now.

Terry and Linda said...

I can understand the loss, Dear Friend...as we age we do wonder...it's all so droll andLinda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
sad.

Terra said...

She leaves an empty spot that will never be exactly filled. She sounds like a dear person.

Heather said...

Hopefully there is always another to fill the gap left by a much loved member of the community. Not to take their place as such, but to continue the work they have had to leave and to keep village life thriving.

Penny said...

Interesting thoughts, I live near a sea side retirement town with a large turn over of people from the city, and yet the core still seems to be those who have lived here all their lives. I am not sure if the next generations of those born here will actually live here.

Joanne Noragon said...

You sneaked up on me. Someone asked today what we were doing for Thanksgiving and for the first time I choked and could not answer. First year in many without my brother. Who will eat all the mashed potatoes and deviled eggs?

Cro Magnon said...

We all wonder who will fill the shoes of the stalwarts who have left us, but there's always someone who comes along. The next generation of village characters seem to appear from nowhere.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Your words are all so upbeat and heart-lifting to anyone who has recently lost a loved one. Thanks for them.