Tuesday 18 November 2014

Out to lunch AGAIN.

Out to lunch today with friend S - poor farmer didn't have to fend for himself as we didn't go until just after twelve o'clock, so he came in a bit early for his lunch.   We went to Berry's cafe in the village of Swinithwaite in Wensleydale.   It is always a reliable place to get a lovely meal with lovely atmosphere in which to eat it.   Today there was an added reason for going because about eighteen months ago a large beech tree blew down on the Swinithwaite estate and now someone has hollowed it out by hand to make a viking boat - and we wanted to see it.   It is lovely and I am sure the children will adore it.
Lunch was delicious too - club sandwich with chips and salad for friend S and crab cakes for me - followed by ice cream for both of us and a pot of tea.   Then it was home through the very few miles, stopping on the driveway to photograph their two llamas who always seem interested in what is going on, except when you want to take their photograph, when they are intent upon eating.   And knowing how llamas can spit without warning, I didn't want to get too close!
A lovely surprise through the post this morning from Gayle and the Square Ones (see my side bar) - when a belated birthday card arrived from them.   I love belated cards - they make one's birthday last a little longer.  So, thank you Gayle for making my morning - and especially for the exquisite drawing you had done on the back of the envelope.
Today is a beautiful Autumn day here in the Yorkshire Dales and I must say the Dales looked at their absolute best as we made our journey to and from the restaurant.   Bolton Castle - a fourteenth century castle on the daleside - stood out in the Autumn mist majestically.

8 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

I just have to tell you Weaver that photo on your header just takes my breath away. Beautiful! So glad you had a nice lunch out.Hugs!deb

Joanne Noragon said...

Great hare on that card. They must know the universal truth, the birthday is not over until the last card is received.

angryparsnip said...

I am not sure I mentioned it but I too am amazed by your header photo.
Happy to know you liked your late Birthday card !
I kind of sketch on any bit of paper. I did a great drawing of my brother on a paper plate once...
I listen better when a doodle.

cheers, parsnip

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I love the new header photo - so serene. Your lunch and trip sound wonderful.

Cloudia said...

very enjoyable to be invited along, P



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
=^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

Cro Magnon said...

Take the fallen log up to Loch Ness; you could make a fortune with the resulting snaps.

Heather said...

That sounds like such a lovely day Pat - the Viking boat makes a wonderful feature.
I too have noticed and am enjoying your new header photo.
I love that drawing of a hare and wish I could do as well as that. I would have to put that envelope on the mantlepiece too!

Terry and Linda said...

LOVE YOUR HEADER! And the dragon and this whole post!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com