Monday 3 November 2014

The opposite of an armchair enthusiast.

After yesterday's post saying I like to read about adventures rather than take part in them, I pick up this morning's Times to find that, almost fifty years after his solo circumnavigation of the globe, Sir Robin Knox-Johnston became the oldest ever competitor as he set off from the North coast of France, bound for Guadeloupe in the Caribbean in the Trans-Atlantic Route de Rhum race. 

Eating nothing but freeze-dried food brought back to eatability with boiling water, doing wees and poos in a bucket on a rope, sleeping only two or three hours at a time, at most, and downloading the weather forecast six to eight times a day, he says he feels about 48 rather than 75.

He says he is doing it 'because I bloody well want to!' - what better reason.   I wish him God speed and hope he wins.   I shall sit in my armchair and follow his progress.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

My goodness! What a challenge at any age. I cannot begin to imagine. Nor, would I have any desire to do such a thing. But, best wishes to him.

Personally, I think you have the better idea, following along from your comfy armchair.

mrsnesbitt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mrsnesbitt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mrsnesbitt said...

Love his reasoning!

MorningAJ said...

I wouldn't have done it the first time - let alone at 75! Good for him.

Cro Magnon said...

Slightly foolhardy, but typically British. Good luck to him.

Heather said...

I hope he succeeds. I have never been intrepid but admire it in others. Happy to cheer from the sidelines.

angryparsnip said...

hahahahaaha... what great timing.
Loved your last sentence.

cheers, parsnip

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

I am an intrepid armchair enthusiast!

Tom Stephenson said...

The only thing I have in common with Sir Robin is pooing and weeing into a bucket on a rope, and I even lied about that.

Frugal in Derbyshire said...

Barking! Good for him!
Many Many thanks for the fabric for the young quilters. The parcel arrived on Saturday. They are so excited and you are so generous.
Gillx

Rachel Phillips said...

I feel today that I would like to be going off on my own just like that.

mumasu said...

Like you I will cheer him from my armchair :)

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel sums up a feeling we all have from time to time I think. Luckily it usually disappears before we do anything daft. Thanks for calling.

jinxxxygirl said...

Sorry i'm late to the conversation Weave....... I can't think of a better reason for doing it than the reason he gave. :) Hugs! deb