Saturday 1 November 2014

Monthly Coffee Morning.

Today, the first Saturday in the month, is - as usual - our Coffee Morning in the Village Hall, in aid of Church Funds.  I always go
to this unless we are away because, living as we do almost a mile out of the village, I would rarely - if ever - meet the other folk there under any other circumstances.

A, the lady in charge of the food stall, always makes me a Turkey Lasagne (without celery as the farmer hates it) and today she had also made a fish pie with new potatoes, cod loin and tomato slices. Two handy meals now in the freezer for when I am out and the farmer has to feed himself.

Friends M and J run the raffle - I always have a go but never take any tickets as I really do not wish to win any of the prizes (one of the prizes today was a gorgeous box of Violet Creams which I adore and which I would eat rapidly!)

Then it is just a matter of drinking coffee from smart thermos jugs, eating biscuits and chatting to all and sundry - a pleasant morning.
Home for a lunch of chestnut mushroom omelette with a mixed salad followed by lemon yoghourt.   Then a walk down the land with Tess - and that is it for today.

The farmer is digging over the tulip bed by the front gate.   He is digging all the bulbs out, trying to get rid of as many weeds as possible, and then he will put the bulbs back.   They do very well indeed here and we have a wonderful scarlet show every Spring.

After all the excitement of yesterday I feel like a quiet evening!


8 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Well Weaver my day is just getting started. The cat Jinx is fed (like he would let me forget him ) and i'am on my second cup of coffee. Hubby is still in bed. He rises at 4am during the week so Saturdays are for sleeping in. Everything has been washed clean as we had RAIN Halloween night. I'm not sure how much but i had puddles and water running out the downspout so thats pretty good for around here where we mostly just get drizzles.

LOTS of trick or treaters came to my door for candy. I had ninjas and princesses, jesters, spiderman, and on and on and on...So much fun to see them all dressed up.

Well i know we will do some grocery shopping today. And i have several crafts in progress calling my name. We'll just have to see what i can get into. I hope you have a wonderful November WEave. Hugs! deb

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Having recently dug over part of my mother's garden, removing weeds and replacing bulbs, I know what kind of job the farmer has on his hands. He'll enjoy his lunch!

angryparsnip said...

Sounds like a wonderful day.
I so enjoy when you change heading.
More lovely photos of your farm.

cheers, parsnip

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Violet Creams sound delicious. (My middle name is Violet, by the way!) Have never had one. And, I must say, I never knew cod had loins. That made me laugh. (I amuse myself easily.) Halloween part at friend Rose's last night was pleasant and the food was delicious. I took deviled eggs (with pickle relish and curry) and water chestnuts wrapped in bacon and dipped in soy sauce/brown sugar. Both big hits. Like your new header. Bucolic. Very. Happy November, Pat! and Farmer, too! m & jb

Hildred said...

Beautiful heading,Pat, and nice to hear of your village day. I have been invited to join the 'Apple Tarts' who bring lunch and meet once a month in the Parish Hall - am really looking forward to it. It is nice to make contact and lovely to chat.

-Just out to repot the geraniums for indoor blooming, - the tulips will rest undisturbed this year.

Heather said...

It is always handy to have one or two meals tucked away in the freezer.
I have two clumps of tulips which come up every year but I have never lifted the bulbs. I have plenty of weeds waiting to be lifted!

Cro Magnon said...

Yesterday I spent most of the day making a herb bed up at the barn. Then last night I had to scare the bejeezus out of the local kids..... just another ordinary day.

Gwil W said...

I saw a fridge magnet yesterday: If you are not shaking, have another coffee.