Thursday 14 March 2024

Spring sweet spring.......

......is the year's pleasant thing - well it goes something like that anyway.

Well friends, however you look at it, next Wednesday is the Vernal Equinox, the day when the day and night are both approximately the same length.   Of course this will be all 'mucked up' shortly when we get British Summer Time and have to get used to getting up in the semi dark again for a week or two.

You, like me, may well still be wearing two sweaters, your room thermostat like mine, may well be set at 21  and the radiator may be  hot so that you can keep putting your cold hands on it (pause in writing while I do just that).

The North Yorkshire Community Policeman is still warning us about where there is floodwater and reminding those who drive not to risk driving through it.

We are supposed to be top in the Species Chain but really I do sometimes question it.   We need the calendar on the wall to tell us it is Spring. And unless there is a sudden dramatic change our behaviour will not change on the first (or second) day of Spring.  We will still be well-wrapped up in our winter jackets.

Gardeners may be out there 'topping' the grass on their lawns with a first gentle mow but they may well be nipping out between showers (and leaving ruts in the grass with their mower wheels).

But my flowers in the garden know Spring is coming - primroses, tete a tetes, hellebores, mauve striped crocus, dark purple crocus and a very pretty pink flower which creeps about my garden as it will every year popping up in different places - all going ahead as per usual.

And Mrs Blackbird is sitting - us girls aren't daft you know - a snug nest in mid hedge is probably the warmest place to be in this wind (from the East and  blowing across a North Sea before it reaches here).

The sky is full of heavy black clouds, the East wind is cutting cross the top of all the flowers, the sun is unlikely to show its face today around here and everyone passing has the hood up on their anorak and every dog passing is still wearing its fashionable winter coat.

And I am signing off and going to make a cup of hot chocolate to drink with my kit kat.   So I'll sign off with what I usually say at this time of year (especially for you Tom)

"Loveliest of trees the cherry now 

 is hung with bloom along the bough.

 and all along the woodland ride

 is wearing white for Eastertide"

                                        A E Housman

                                    'A Shropshire Lad'. 

****

My son bought me the collected poems of Roger McGough for Mothering Sunday.  Sifting through it after writing this I came across a poem called 'Trees cannot name the seasons'.   He says it so much better than my post above does.   Google it - it is beautiful.  Enjoy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

                                        

23 comments:

Sue said...

I've just had to brave the torrential rain we have here in not so sunny Lancashire, to drop off a wee sample at the vets ... oh my life is so glamorous! Some of the Thursday market stall holders have braved the weather this week, but they have their stalls wrapped up tightly on three of the four sides, how lovely it will be when the days are warmer and the market is full of it's usual bustle and you can see the stalls from all sides once again.

Our garden is full of the Spring flowers that Alan loves so much, his tulips from last year have now replaced the snowdrops that lost their white flowers last week and the daffodils around our very immature apple tree are, like me, looking hopeful that the sun will come back at some point this week. Yesterday I planted a new little primula in the spot where Bella's ashes are buried and dedicated it to her and Dorothy (John's beautiful girl), the flowers give us hope don't they.

Tom Stephenson said...

Thank you, dear Weave. X

Tasker Dunham said...

I think I might get one of those dog coats myself. They look very snug, as well as being fashionable.

Rachel Phillips said...

I look forward to changing the clocks and the lighter evenings. It is already quite noticeable how light it is at 6.

Derek Faulkner said...

Despite the, what feels like continuous rain this winter, I've still managed to give my lawns back and front, a decent mow a few times since early February. As well as the daffodils, heleborous and primroses, I now have some tulips in flower, spurred on by today's warm sun. As an out in the early morning person, I never particually like losing the early light for a few weeks when the clocks alter.

Mary said...

Good day Pat. Lovely post full of Spring thoughts and images shared in your always delightful words.
Here, with temps. in the 70's all week, following a day of rain last Saturday, the Spring garden is racing ahead. Yesterday I deadheaded the bold daffodils and now await the blooming smaller versions which I always call Narcissi - they smell so sweet. My tulip magnolia tree is in full brilliant pink bloom and beautiful as always. The fig tree has miniscule leaf buds just peeping out, and the chickadees have built a soft, mossy nest in the tiny wooden birdhouse hanging on a lower branch. I managed to peep inside as it has a little door in back, but no eggs yet!

Our clocks went forward last weekend, it does take a while to get comfy with a new schedule due to the change. The sunrises and sunsets have been awesome though. Today Bob (83 now!) will mow the grass for the first time in months. It's rather tall, lush and green - thankfully we have a sturdy power driven machine - and he does enjoy doing it still despite me trying to get him to agree to hiring help!

....and there's always this one......

"In springtime, the only pretty ring time,
When birds do sing, hey ding a ding, ding;
Sweet lovers love the spring".

As You Like It......William Shakespeare

Enjoy this week and the coming weekend Pat. Stay warm and comfy.
Hugs - Mary


Susan said...

Spring and waking up to sunlight instead of darkness is the perfect start to a day. Like you say, it is still chilly and the rain is frequent. Spring showers bring May flowers...I do look forward to May flowers. In Massachusetts, our trees are filled with buds but no leaves and flowers. The daffodils are poking through the ground and I'll look forward to flowers in May.

Barbara Rogers said...

Warm here for a few days, before another dip below freezing coming next week...and we already are on daylight savings here. So I'm bufuddled more than usual. Thanks for your description of spring, including the poem.

Barbara Anne said...

Barbara (above) and I must live fairly close as her description of the weather is what we're experiencing. Today's high is to be 79*F (26.5*C) but next week's forecast temperatures will be cooler. Our crocus have come and gone as have the daffodils, but the cherry, red bud, and Bradford pear trees are in bloom as are the glorious forsythia.

I'm off to read the poem you suggested.

Hugs!

gz said...

Thankyou Weave...you inspire me and lift my spirits time and time again!
I have purple crocus, primroses and yellow primulas in the garden. The iris sibirica have finished and the early dwarf tulips have just pushed up a few leaves..they might not come to anything this year.
All last night and through today we have had rain...and cold rain at that.
The grass is absolutely sodden with standing water by our front path..our own moat!!
I have been sent out to have time off...so a large mug of hot chocolate in the garden centre café for me!!xx

Anonymous said...

We have already turned the clocks back here. The mornings are dark now. The good news is that we should reach 73° F today before the temperature starts to drop tomorrow. Our spring showers have been downpours with high winds, flooding and power outages so today's weather is like a holiday! Pat in Pennsylvania

Granny Sue said...

Still trying to get used to the time change here. But nature pays no attention to such silliness. She goes on just the same. The daffodils are in full flower here, as well as forsythia, japonica, and hellebores. The crocus is almost done, sadly. Such brace little flowers. Today I planted 3 kinds of onions, 2 kinds of lettuce, and China Rose radishes. I may go out in a bit and plant beets, spinach, chard and carrots. My poor knee is not happy about the 4 hours I have spent tilling and digging, but I am resting it now. Thank you for your lyrical post, Pat. You captured the essence of these early Spring days.

anonymous said...

Thank you,Pat.I did find Trees cannot name the seasons. How very lovely! I will share it with some friends that will appreciate it,too , -Mary

Country Cottage said...

Managed to get the lawn cut today, albeit a high trim but hoping if the weather holds I can do a 'proper' cut. Do take care x

Red said...

Nice comparison of natural thing to people and how spring is sensed.

thelma said...

Also the sound of the spring dawn chorus, though our weather lulls many a bird into false conclusions.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thank you everyone. Glad I managed to squeeze a bit of a Spring feeling into a dull, windy, chilly day.

Tigger's Mum said...

You do write beautifully and descriptively and I don't often comment but do enjoy reading your observations.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

The spring offers such joy, except for the time change. Ours began last weekend and I'm still not quite right. I do wish we could eliminate that. Will, indeed, look up the poem you suggest. Been a long tie since I've checked in with you. My writing muse returning after much travel.

Heather said...

I know that officially spring is arriving any minute, but I take each day (or half a day) as it comes. I got wet on my way home from my little morning walk, then enjoyed lovely sunshine on and off throughout the rest of the day. I don't think we have a climate any more, we just get weather and must just make the most of the best bits.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your writings!

Debby said...

What a beautiful poem! I read it several times. I can understand why it resonated with you.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Lovely to hear from you all.