Wednesday 8 March 2023

International Women's Day

 Today is that day (is there an International Men's Day?) and Caitlin Moran (she who does not mince her words) talks about the book '100 Women who made History' - or as she puts it 'the bold, the brave, the outlying, the trailblazers'.  I love the way she says 'we'll know feminism has finally done its job .....when women can be awful, dim, lacklustre, nuts' - in other words' as thoroughly average as men'.

She says that in this year girls need not someone they can look up to especially but someone they can look sideways at and still admire.

One such is my Chief Carer, J - a wonder woman if ever there was one.   She comes every morning (except on her every other Sat/Sun when it is her well-deserved week=end off) at 7am for an hour.   Not at five to seven, not at five past seven - but on the dot of seven.   And in that hour that follows, chatting away cheerfully as she goes, she empties my commode and disinfects it, strips and remakes my bed (I am a restless sleeper - she does occasionally question who I have in it when she is not here but I reply 'no such luck'), washes/showers me and helps me dress, wipes down all kitchen surfaces, and all bathroom surfaces, takes out all recycling and dustbin rubbish and puts out appropriate bins on the right day (Wednesday), puts my washing in the washer ready to put into the drier when she, or another carer, can do so at night.  She then takes home anything which needs ironing and does it with her own ironing. In addition she gets my breakfast and does the washing up.   She also cooks my mid day meal at home with her own and puts it in my microwave so that all I need to do is switch it on and in four minutes my lunch is ready.**  She brings The Times from the letter box and puts it by my chair - and then she is off, with a cheery goodbye, to her next client.   All in one hour.   My house is always clean and tidy and given a thorough going over once a month by D, my cleaner.

That is the kind of unsung heroine who gains my total admiration and thanks.   So thanks J  for being my nomination for international woman of the year - and I am sure there are thousands like her - doing magnificent jobs for not enough pay.

**  Her partner also deserves a mention as he always cooks their Sundaay lunch and makes the best gravy I have ever tasted.  I even wonder whether I could put any left (she brings it in a little jar) in a glass, top it up with something like Cinzano Bianco and drink it with my lunch!)

22 comments:

VC said...

What a treasure you have there Pat!

Derek Faulkner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JayCee said...

It would take me all week to do what she does in one hour.

Sue in Suffolk said...

You really have found a gem there Pat. Sounds just right

Virginia said...

Oh My! In one hour! Your J is a Wonder Woman! What a treasure! No wonder you sing her praises so often.

I have a cleaner once a week as I find vacuuming stirs up my coughing badly. Unless there’s an accident, that seals with the floors and I do midweek and extra cleaning of bathrooms etc. But the thorough ’once through’ makes such a difference. So I value my cleaner too.

Rachel Phillips said...

I suspect it helps your super helper that you are a naturally clean and tidy person yourself.

hart said...

She does sound like a treasure you are fortunate to have, as I am sure you tell her.

Heather said...

J is certainly a treasure and she obviously makes your life much more comfortable and enjoyable. There must be many more women working quietly and anonymously behind the scenes, doing good deeds of many kinds, which we never hear about. I don't think you have to have necessarily made a name for yourself to be regarded as a woman worthy of recognition.

Susan said...

J is a truly wonderful helper. Not only does she do her job to perfection, she's a lovely person to chat with. It sounds like her meal prep is outstanding as well.

Victoria said...

Good heavens! I can't imagine how she could get through all of that in just an hour-------maybe 2? And then you say she goes on to her next client?! How many people does she take care of in a days time?

Bea said...

Oh, yes, Caitlin Moran does not mince words in the slightest. I have found much of what she has to say very refreshing. Happy March 8!

Terra said...

Your carer is a true gem, it is amazing how much she can do in an hour. What a wonderful work ethic she has. Tell her I said she is a gem.

Anonymous said...

Its amazing what she gets done in an hour! The power of organization, focus and energy. But then she also manages cheerful chat. I too wonder how many clients she has after you!

Ceci

Cro Magnon said...

Maybe you should nominate her for an award. I'm sure there's a web page for such things. Gongs are handed-out for the most trivial things these days, but someone like her REALLY deserves one.

Librarian said...

I trust J does not need to strip and change your bedding every day, nor will she be wiping down every surface (even the cabinet fronts?), empty your commode and fill your washing machine every day, right?
Still, it is truly amazing what can be done in one single hour if one goes about it with vigour and enthusiasm. We all agree that J is worth her weight in gold, and then some!

It was not only Women's Day yesterday but also my mother-in-law's birthday, her 89th. I rang her after work in Ripon and we had a good chat.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Librarian - my bed is changed once a fortnight, my commode is of course changed every morning, She wipes the kitchen work tops every day and disinfects the sink twice a week.

Thanks everyone - she is indeed a treasure - i told her what |I had written - she said she liked to be busy. I do appreciate her. She has another client who lives opposite me and a couple in a nearby village and that is all she doesl At present she is also caring (along with the rest of her family) for an aunt who is very seriously ill.

Yes Rachel - I can't bear to see anywhere in my bungalow untidy and it does me good to amble about tidying and doing a bit of dusting.

Donna said...

Hello, new here...I've spent the better half of my early morning hours, reading your blog! What wonderful stories and also, sad ones. I'm sorry for the loss of your husband...and your Tess.
I'll be back...Thank you for taking the time to post such wonderful things of your life.
hugs
Donna

Gerry Snape said...

...bless all those amazing PAs and carers...Kate my grandgirl with SMA...calls them PAs as she says they deserve such a title...she has 3 or 4 amazing women who like yourself DO it all...wonderful.

Melinda from Ontario said...

I found it so satisfying to listen to J's morning routine. She is a master of efficiency with a huge dollop of compassion. She truly does deserve a nomination for International Woman of the Year.

Debby said...

You have quite the treasure in your carers! I like the idea of recognizing them and their work ethic.

John Going Gently said...

You are one of my top women x

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thanks John for the compliment

and thank you all for reading me. Giving me encouragement to keep going is so important to me.