Friday 17 September 2021

Perfect Autumn Day

Just to keep reminding me of the fact, the garden opposite has a large bunch of Autumn crocus in the middle of the front lawn and I always forget them every year until the day when suddenly they are in full flower - and they cheer up my day.   Somehow there is a feel of Autumn in the air in spite of the temperature being around twenty, the sky being clear blue and the sun fully out.   But the street light opposite went on at  8pm and by then all the blinds were drawn.   And there was suddenly a chill in the air   Bu I have bought myself a new cardigan - very large and 'cuddly'.   It came yesterday, since when I have lived in it.   I am in love with it.   I am thinking of sending for another one in another colour - after all I can't wear the same one every day through winter can I??

What to report today?    Well my 'jaunt' into town yesterday seems to have done me no good at all because today I am very tired.   I struggled round my usual walk and since then apart from eating my lunch the only other thing I have done is order a new battery for my Bosch vaccuum cleaner.   Then the cleaner has to go into the shop where I bought it for the battery to be fitted.  As someone (sorry but I can't remember who it was, so apologies) pointed  out - if the cleaner had been a Dyson I could have fitted the battery myself but as it is a Bosch it has to go back to the shop for them to fit it.   So now I await the arrival of the new battery.

The only other domestic incident to report that yesterday I complained I had marked the wall in the hall with a pencil in order to get the photograph frame level and then could not get the marks  off.  Well my carer this morning removed them all in two minutes maximum - don't ask me how - something to do with a spray I had under the sink and a damp cloth.   They have magically disappeared.

I think I shall stop now and take Priscilla round to the garden at the back of the bungalow to see how it is doing.   The sun is still out and it is a week since I was out there.   Hopefully I will be back later. 

Back in the evening and looking forward - as I am sure Rachel is too - to the very last round in the Celebrity Baking Competition.   I have really enjoyed watching it - although as usually happens in these programmes I rarely know any of the so-called 'celebrities'.   Maybe it is because I don't watch all that much television.

It really has been a lovely Autumn day - I always savour every one this time of the year.   The silver birch leaves are really seriously falling now; they always seem the first to go round here. The hollyhocks which I pass every day on my walk round the estate are still full of bees, as is the salvia bush much nearer to home.   Another fine day is forecast for tomorrow and then rain is set to arrive.   My son has just rung to say that they have arrived home after their week up near Lindisfarne - they seem to have particularly enjoyed the bird life.

See you tomrrow.

17 comments:

Rachel Phillips said...

Masterchef. I only knew two of them but that didn't matter. I am looking forward to see who wins later tonight. Take care and take it easy.

JayCee said...

Oh, you have been lucky today with your weather. It has been wet and windy here. A real tea and chocolate biscuits day!

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Pleasant weather here today, but really warm yesterday afternoon considering that I was on the coast. I did consider buying a re-chargeable vacuum cleaner but now I think I'll stick with the cheap plug-in one I bought about thirty years ago which is still going strong.

Tasker Dunham said...

Autumn crocuses are lovely. They always remind me of some that grew under a tree in a place I was very fond of. The land was sold and it's a private garden now but I often wonder if they're still there.

the veg artist said...

Just watched the Masterchef final - really well done to the winner (not saying, in case people have not caught up yet!). I use a re-chargeable cleaner, a Dyson. The battery life has reduced, but I tripped over the lead of a plug-in, so I still prefer the Dyson.

The Weaver of Grass said...

John - the main reason I bought one is because my son was afraid of me tripping over the flex - but in fact now I am totally unable to use it in any case. My cleaner has to clean through with it beause I need both hands to steady myself with my walking frames.

Susan said...

Like you, I am enjoying the Fall season. The Maple trees behind my house are turning red and yellow. Each day there seems to be more color. Soon your vacuum will be sorted. I tend to have multiple vacuums because they fail regularly. With multiples, one is guaranteed to be working at all times. Your new cozy jumper sounds excellent. Having an extra one is a good idea. I do like multiples too.

Joanne Noragon said...

Are your fall crocus purple? I think they all are lovely.

Librarian said...

You have seen the autumn crocus picture on my blog - I love them, too, and on that walk we saw so many of them it was hard to decide where to take a picture.
We had the same beautiful weather here yesterday, and by the looks of it again today and tomorrow. Rain is forecast for Monday and Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Spring here, and the trees are looking very pretty. My husband likes Manchurian Pear trees, but our garden is too small to accommodate one. Many years ago the local civic council happily sourced one for us and planted it in their park outside our house. Presently it is covered in many white blossoms with pretty spring flowers I have planted beneath.. It looks so stunning against the darkening evening sky, and a contrast to the bright blue sky during the day. So pleased to be rid of those grey skies.. It has seemed a very long and miserable Winter here Pat. - Pam, Aust.

thelma said...

The soft light of Autumn is something to look forward to Pat, the chill settles in and we begin to hunt out warmer clothes. Be careful in the garden though. Spider webs and Michaelmas daisies are also beautiful at this time of year.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Pam - your coming Spring sounds welcoming You are passing your winter over to us.
Joanne - yes they are indeed.
Multiple vacuums? My cupboard space is very limited sdo that would bei mpossible Thank you all for your company.

Chris said...

Sounds as though you're like me, a busy day and then needing a rest day! Go on buy that cardi, I hadn't realised how many cardis I had since moving here. I have them in all different colours but when it gets colder I favour my wool ones. Another warm sunny day here but the leaves are changing colour, so autumn is here too.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Cardi bought Cris/ Friend and neighbour called and stayed for a cup of tea. She has just gone and now by the time I have had my piece of quiche it will almost be time for the start of Strictly - I shall watch it - my God daghter watches it without fail and it is somethinTg we can chat about when we speak on the telephone.



Thank you everyone - Have a pleasant evening.

Derek Faulkner said...

What is it with all these awful baking programmes - there is Masterchef, Masterchef Professionals, Junior Masterchef, Celebrity baking and now the even more awful, Great British Bake Off will soon be starting. All I can see is a waste of good food at a time when many people in the world are starving.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Good point Derek.

Jules said...

The temperatures are saying otherwise but it was beginning to look very autumnal in the woods yesterday. X