Monday 20 September 2021

A Day and a half

 Today started quietly but as the day went on, so it got busier until by now - just after tea - I am again alone and once this post is done all I have to do is get my brain resharpened ready for University Challenge.

But one thing it has shown to me is that I should be very grateful to so many people for what they do for me.   Without them all I would find life very hard.   So I shall list them and tell you just how much I am helped along my handicapped way.

1.   First of all there is J, my carer.   She comes for an hour in the morning - never stops working but manages to chat along as she works so that she always leaves me in a cheerful frame of mind.   What does she do?   Gets my breakfast (porridge and a banana), sees to the commode and makes my bed and tidies away any clothes which I have changed.   Twice a week she puts on the washing machine so that I can empty it and put the clothes in the tumble drier.   Any which need ironing she takes home to iron.    She brings a lunch every day and unless it is a salad leaves it in the microwave or by the Remoska if it is chips.   Showers or strip washes me and helps me dress.   All this in an hour.

2. T and S, my dear, always cheerful friends who do so much for me.   They call in often just for a cheerful chat and a coffee.   They  keep my laptop and my printer in working order and sort me out if I get in a mess.   They do untold little jobs and errands all the time and I can never thank them enough.

3.  L, who lives just down the road, who keeps me topped up with fruit and bread and coffee between visits from Mobile Tesco.

4.   D, my gardener, who as well as keeping my garden in order does all sorts of little jobs.   This week he noticed that the drain pipe from my dishwasher to the outside sink had a hole in it.   He came, measured it, replaced it all and had almost finished before I noticed he had done it.   Another always cheerful man who I can rely on.   His health is not good and I worry about him but he soldiers on.

5.   My immediate neighbours H and M both of whom are cheerful and chatty and we pass the time of day almost every day.   It is lovely to have good friends so near.

6.   My son.   Although D only lives a mile away, since Covid I rarely see him.   His wife is an invalid and understandably he worries about her catching Covid so he is very careful.   But what he does is lend an ear.   I am a worrier, always have been and not likely to change now.   If something is on my mind I ring him, talk it over with him and together we sort it out.   Without his help there are times when I would feel about to go under.

These people make my life what it is now.   I find walking hard and can only go slowly.   But between them they jolly me along.

I just heard a noise and went to see what it was.   Through the door was a parcel from Amazon Prime with two books I had discussed with my son and said I would rather like to read.   He had sent them to me post haste - we were only speaking of them yesterday.

So here, publicly, a sincere thank you to them all.   Acts of kindness I can never repay but which make my life complete.

29 comments:

Country Cottage said...

How wonderful to be surrounded by such loving and caring friends and family. I believe they do it because you are a truly loving and kind person yourself Pat. Viv

Bovey Belle said...

What a perfect support system you have, for body and soul - and techy jobs too! I rely on my kids (esp. the daughter who lives with us) to help me out. She has just taught me how to plot a journey on my phone, so I have that to hand for later in the week. Normally we rely on HER phone and taking her with us!

I am particularly glad you have good friends close by and people you can rely on. As we age those are as important as food and drink to keep us hale and hearty.

What a smashing son to treat you to those books, AND on a next day delivery!

Heather said...

You are obviously a person worthy of so much care and attention or it would not be so abundant. I am sure your carer, friends, neighbours and son are happy to do what ever they can to make life easier for you, and I am very pleased that you have them and can still enjoy life.

Ellen D. said...

You have a wonderful bunch of friends and family to help you out. It is nice that you acknowledge them for their assistance to you.

Mary said...

Each one deserves a trophy - they are a lovely bunch of super, special people taking care of extra special you Pat. If I’m left alone I know, sadly, I will never be cared for like that.
Keep on keeping on dear lady x

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Bravo to them all! It makes a huge difference to one's health to have good support.
A books delivered that fast always amazes me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bonnie said...

You have such wonderful friends and family! Kind and helpful people are certainly worth their weight in gold. I also have no doubt that you are more than deserving of their help and that you have equally helped many others yourself over the course of your life. I am truly happy for you that you have such a support system!

Rachel Phillips said...

What has happened to W?

CharlotteP said...

You are indeed fortunate to have such lovely friends and family; but I bet when you were more able, you were at the front of the queue to help people, and still love to, when you can. What goes around, comes around, Pat!

Debby said...

My gosh, Anonymous' comments need to be stricken. I'm not sure why anyone needs to be so ugly.

CharlotteP said...

Just ignore 'Anonymous'. If we pay absolutely no attention to them, they will give up.

Minigranny said...

Anon I'd obviously a very sick person ! I'm so glad that you have such lovely people around you. Definitely well deserved ! Xx

The Weaver of Grass said...

Rachel don't know what your comment means. Please explain

Rachel Phillips said...

You used to have a friend called W who helped you a lot but you haven't mentioned her recently so I wondered if she is still around.

the veg artist said...

I used to have a houseboud aged aunt who had us all running circles to keep her happy - except she never was happy. Perhaps it's the way you treat people, Weave. It makes them genuinely pleased to help.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you have a miserable Anonymous. Those of us who are happy to put a name to our comments think you are the best, a wonderful inspiration and your outlook on life is wonderful. Do you feel you have a team cheering you on Pat? Waving my little Aussie flag for you here. Pam.

vic said...

You have been greatly blessed with caring family and friends. I bet it is a situation of "what goes around comes around" and you have been a helpmate to many in your long life and are now reaping what you have sown.

Yellow Shoes said...

I think the veg artist nails it - your appreciation of your friends and family results in them wanting to help you.
There appears to be a lot of organisation on your part to keep the wheels oiled and that takes stamina.
Maybe you watched Only Connect as well as University Challenge Pat? I got one right! x

Tom Stephenson said...

You sound as though you are well looked after Weave. That makes me glad.

wherethejourneytakesme2 said...

You are indeed blessed and it is lovely to hear you acknowledge everything everyone does for you. Your attitude is an inspiration to us all - sadly my mum is just the opposite and complains all the time so it tends to keep people away though one or two of her neighbours do persevere and keep popping in for which my sister and I are very grateful as we cannot be there all the time.

The Furry Gnome said...

What a good idea! I must think about all those who help me. Like you I benefit enormously.

Virginia said...

You are surrounded by a great team of very good people. If you were a nasty cantankerous old 'bizom' I doubt you'd be so fortunate, so I suspect that those who help you also appreciate your fine qualities. For me, you're an inspiration, and I think of you when I go into a dark spin. So thank you too.

Joanne Noragon said...

So many good people in our lives. You have a sterling group.

Susan said...

Being surrounded by good people is a blessing.

Derek Faulkner said...

So nice to see you take the time to name and praise the people that help you so much - well done for doing it.

thelma said...

You are very blessed Pat with all the people around you, and this tribute to them is a wonderful recognition of them..

The Weaver of Grass said...

Anne Brew - I did indeed watch Only Connect. One team last night were amazing. I keep watching every week in the hope that watching will make me better at it - no such luck. I struggle and like you get one right occasionally - or maybe one line in the wall. I find the missing vowels round impossible - last night one man got them almost all right just as soon as they came up.

Thanks everyone. I am blessed indeed - don't I know it. Lovely folk. You lot too should have been included. You all keep me going.. So a double thank you this morning.

Kay said...

Some people have criticised the comment made by Anonymous about your comment on another blog and your description of people with disabilities however I also saw that description and I thought it was appalling that someone of intelligence would use those words. I have a Son with disabilities and it makes me feel sick that he could be referred to as being Sub Normal.
I find it distasteful that you merely deleted the anonymous comment with no apology for your hurtful words. We are all morally responsible for our own actions, with your absence of a reply or apology I assume you think your words were acceptable.
I have been reading here for quite some time but I won't visit here in future.
Kay