Saturday 18 January 2014

While the cat's away...

The farmer is shooting today and has taken a packed lunch of ham sandwiches, pork pie, date and walnut cake and an orange, plus a flask of coffee and whisky (not in equal quantities).   It is a horrible day - hardly light and drizzling - but at least it is reasonably warm and the sort of weather where the pheasants might easily escape the guns (only one more shoot after today and then they will be safe for another year).

I spent an hour chatting on the telephone to a niece who lives in Derby - lovely chatty hour, then showered and dressed and it was lunch time.   For lunch I had the farmer's worst nightmare lunch - breaded tiger prawns cooked for ten minutes in a hot oven, with a bowl of ante-pasta from our lovely local deli.  Sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers and stuffed black olives - all in flavoured olive oil.    It was heaven, washed down with a glass of white wine.

We have had our walk, Tess and I, and I have just lit the wood-burner.   The farmer will be in shortly and this evening it is the semi final of the snooker, so no prizes for guessing what he will be doing - and my crochet blanket should grow by a few squares too.

If I can manage to catch him unawares I shall post a photograph tomorrow of the farmer, who has started going to feed the sheep, on his beloved little grey Fergie .   He will try his best to evade capture, so don't bank on it.


16 comments:

Tom Stephenson said...

They might be safe for another year, were it not for their fondness for walking across roads rather than flying over them.

Pondside said...

I loved the mental image of you furtively enjoying your exotic (to the Farmer) lunch. I'll bet he was happy as a clam with his pork pie and goodies.

mrsnesbitt said...

One of our neighbours has a little fergie and is involved with printing the magazine for the fergie owners...the farmer may know his name, Peter Wood. Jon has made parts for his fergie in the past.

ArtPropelled said...

I know the feeling! My beloved is away and since it's a drizzly day I'm treating myself to a mug of delicious butternut soup(not his favourite). My mouth is watering at the sight of your lunch.

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Oh, my! That lunch sounds dee-lish! I'm making a crocheted blanket, too. It's a Christmas present for my brother. I presented it to him as skeins of yarn in a shopping bag with about 12 rows done and an I.O.U.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Sounds like a good winter day - and I hope the pheasants escape. There is a deer walking through our yard right this minute.

MorningAJ said...

Your lunch looks good. But K would probably appreciate the farmer's lunch too!

Cloudia said...

Quite a sweet day!




ALOHA, P

from Honolulu
Comfort Spiral
> < } } ( ° >

angryparsnip said...

You lunch looks so good to me !
But I must admit I would love to have what the farmer had too.
I had a bacon lettuce/tomato sandwich yesterday on thick cut good read. My very favorite. I only allow myself 2 or 3 a years so I was super happy.

I have visions of Farmer ducking here and there or holding up a chicken so you can't take a photo !

cheers, parsnip

Heather said...

Much as I like a good pork pie I think I'd have chosen your lunch - it looks delicious. Hope you are lucky with your photo shoot!

Heather said...

Oh yes, and thankyou for the lovely comment you left on my blog.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you both had an enjoyable day ... if very different from each other.
x

Terry and Linda said...

Terry tries to evade me and my camera also!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Cro Magnon said...

Oh how I would love a little grey Fergie. Hope he had a good bag; the pork pie would've made my day.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Sorry, but I'll go with the ham sandwiches and pork pie brigade - though not to shoot pheasants. Good luck with the Fergie photo.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Oh dear - so many of you fancy the pork pie, very bad for you you know!
All I can tell you is that the tiger prawns were absolutely delicious.
Tom - I agree about the pheasants walking being a hazard and getting killed on the road. The trouble is that the clever ones learn that if they walk rather than fly they are in no danger of being shot at.
Thanks for popping in.