Sunday 10 September 2023

Sunday morning early.

 Sunday morning early.   Bright sunshine but slightly fresher air.   According to my carer we have had storms all round us - Thirsk, Coverdale - without anything other than flashes of lightning lighting up the sky and distant rumbles of thunder  for us to bother about.

Now just a still, sunny, warm morning with a patchy sky.  Sitting here in the window of the computer room with the window wide open, nothing to disturb but the constant sound of rooks - caw, caw - in the field behind my garden.

I am constantly fascinated by the behaviour of birds.   Rooks are one of my favourites.   As regular readers will be aware, I look forward once the days get shorter to watching them fly over every morning at dawn in their thousands - and then return at dusk to gather in the huge ash tree in the field and on the grass beneath it - their roost before flying off to bed.

But they have begun to spend their whole day in and around the field behind my bungalow - not all of them of course but perhaps a  couple of hundred.  They seem to spend their whole day poking about in  the grass for food, flying round making a noise,sitting around in the ash tree and generally making a bit of a nuisance of themselves.  You can go off people you know but me and rooks have a bond which can't be broken even if they do drive me mad if I sit out on the patio.

And looking out over the dale to East Witton Fell while eating my breakfast I watched a group of about a dozen birds (too far away to say what they were) fly round and round, maybe half a dozen times in a sort of loop.   Questions come to mind:  they stay together as they fly round the same course for about ten minutes - all turning at the same time, all flying at the same speed.  What are they doing?  What is motivating them to do that and why?   When I think of the Red Arrows Team, they spend their lives practising their skills and earn huge respect throughout the world for their ability.   Birds do it naturally.   And we think we are clever.

Already skeins of geese are flying over in their accurate V formation - heading West as they pass my window- changing 'leader' now and again I understand.  We have been clever enough to know where they are going now but do we know how they know?   What metaphorical 'clock' tells them 'come on chaps, time to move before that horrible British winter weather arrives'.   And do they just 'follow their beaks'?  Or do they know exactly where they are going and how to get there?

That swallow (or eventually son of swallow and grandson of swallow) that arrived every year at the farm, around the middle of April, to sit on the wire by the barn and wait for his missus to arrive and join him in repairing and re-lining last years nest in the far corner of the barn, above where the sheepdog slept.   Have they stayed together all year as Mr and Mrs?   If so, why didn't they arrive together?  Did she stop off somewhere to visit distant relatives?

I've not taken particular interest before, I have just accepted that it was how it was.   But now as  I have plenty of time to 'Stand and Stare' as WH Davies would have us believe he did (sit and stare in my case) I am hungry for information.

All I can say is - why do we think we are so clever, why we think we are superior to all over living things -  and what gives us the right to mistreat animals and birds - to enslave them into working for us - camels,mules, elephants (not always treated well), to keep birds in cages to 'prettify our dwellings' or to carry around in cages so that we can hear them sing? (although what many of them have to sing about I really do wonder).

Am I going dotty in my antiquity or do others feel the same?   We speak disparagingly of folk being 'bird-brained' - sometimes I think we ought to take that as a complinent when|I see the behaviour of some of my own species.


21 comments:

Ursula said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the veg artist said...

You are right, Weave. The innate knowledge of birds and beasts leaves us standing. I feel the same about growing things. Seeds and bulbs are nothing short of miraculous - they know exactly what to do.

Derek Faulkner said...

You forgot to mention farm livestock Pat.
No matter how well some are treated, at the end of the day they are still only kept in order to be killed at a fairly young age, for food. Lambs in particular are only allowed a short life prior to being killed.
That's just me making a point, I eat as much meat as many other people.

Yellow Shoes said...

Your thirst for knowledge and your curiosity to find out why, how and where - on the subject of bird behaviour for instance - will I think keep you going for years!
There are many good books, recently written in some cases, on that very subject as experts realise how complicated and fascinating the life of a bird really is.

JaneB said...

Not dotty at all, and I love your curiosity - it reminds me that there are always things to learn and wonder about, however limited our circumstances. Lots of wonderful books out there and I hope someone can get some for you!

Sue in Suffolk said...

I was put off buying one house I looked at when moving two years ago because of the starlings flying off and back to a large tree on the boundary - I know just how loud and noisy they can be when roosting. - (The house was too big and the garden too small anyway)
There must be a Rook Book out there somewhere.

Ellen D. said...

Terrific post, Pat. You have expressed your observations of birds so perfectly that I can see them in the air swirling around and roosting in the trees!

thelma said...

I once struck up an affinity with a wild bird, it was a buzzard. One Sunday, taking the dog a walk over the downs, two buzzards flew down to a young buzzard on the ground, which just sort of hopped around and eventually flew off. After that I would always see him on my walk, once he seemed to follow my car to a wood, and as I climbed out, he landed in a tree nearby. So buzzards are my token birds, and I will always look up when I hear them in the sky as they wheel around on a thermal.
There are many small videos on the internet which show animals, and picking up Derek's point, domestic animals eaten by us, which show affection and intelligence towards their human keepers. That is why I eat my vegetables...

Susan said...

Observing the birds (and wildlife) is fascinating. There is so much to see, if you watch and listen closely. Beautiful post Pat.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sue I have one recommended by a blog reader (Stargoose John I think)Mark Cocker's 'Crow Country'. A good read.
Derek - yes I agree Derek -- If we didn't any ofus eat meat then animals would die out on the farm apart from cows Look how relatively quickly heavy horses almost disappeared. (fleeces cost more to take off than the farmer gets for them.)

Joyce F said...

I have recently read two books: Mozart's Starling by Lyanda Lynn Haupt and What an Owl Knows by Jennifer Ackerman, both of which I think you would enjoy. I especially enjoyed the owl one, the best book Ive read so far this year. nNow I am on to one about cats and how they evolved from wild cats to the cat on our sofa.

Derek Faulkner said...

Always a difficult balancing act Pat and if the Climate Change types succeed in encouraging many of us not to eat farm animals any more then we could easily see the other side of the coin, i.e. a countryside ungrazed and overgrown.
By the way, here in Surrey at my partner's today, despite a forecast of another hot and sunny day like yesterday, it is much cooler and has been raining most of the afternoon, not what I was hoping for, hopefully it'll be OK when we arrive on Dartmoor tomorrow for a few days.

Barbara Anne said...

Lovely and thought provoking post, Pat!

There is a marvelous documentary titled "Migrations" that is available on DVD (in the US, anyway) and I highly recommend it for sheer amazement and appreciation of that mysterious guidance system migratory birds have.

Hugs!

Heather said...

Judging by the state of the country and the planet I tend to think that humans are the most stupid and dangerous of animals. Why are parts of the world still suffering famine year after year? Why are we wasting millions exploring space when there are so many more necessary projects needing our attention? Why are we tolerating thousands of immigrants each year when we can't look after our own subjects? And why do they all want to come here when other countries are far larger and have room for them? I think I know the answer to that one.
Birds and other creatures are very intelligent - even insects are pretty intelligent too. Perhaps we should all study them and find out how to best run our own world.

Derek Faulkner said...

Agree with every word of that Heather - well said.

The Weaver of Grass said...

5.15pm The rain it raineth here - quite heavy - no lightning so far just a heavy shower. Plants are enjoying it after the past few days.

Debby said...

Lessons are all around us. We have only to open our eyes and see. Not just the birds, not just the animals, but all of the world, the dirt, the stones, the trees, the lakes, the oceans. We are so blinded by our own perceived brilliance that we have forgotten how to look.

Debby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joanne Noragon said...

An engaging post; the author and the respondents.

Red said...

You have many excellent questions. Mr Google has the answers. Interesting how modern science has learned about migration. We have some Canada geese that stay al winter as long as they can find open water.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Red - they are sensible to do so - avoid a lot of hard work!

Like so many times on my blog posts - your replies give me so much food for thought - thanks everyone!