Saturday 9 September 2023

One of y favourite days of the year.

According to today's Weather Lady this is the climax of this Hot Spell - from late today onwards the great god thunder is set to make his presence felt as he makes his majestic way Northwards.  "Some places" will experience him to excess and experience 'localised flooding' - I do hope he misses us.   Flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder I enjoy but when he decides to be directly overhead - not so good.   The little adjoining village is subject to flooding - the beck (which gathers strength, becoming the River Em when it reaches Bedale and flowing into the Swale - which flows into the Ouse and then out into the mighty Humber Estuary - wonderful viewed from the air when flying Tees-side airport to Amsterdam -). My son and his wife live directly in its path.

All North facing windows are wide open,  everywhere is neat and tidy, cold lunch today - chorizo, cole slaw, sugarbelle baby tomatoes, good bread and butter  and if I am still hungry ice cream and fruit to follow.   The stage is set.

7pm and The Last Night of the Proms.   My seat is reserved, the sherry is waiting, suitably chilled, a couple of two finger kit kats await  - I shall soak myself in the music, the atmosphere and the wonderful cellist, Sheku Kanneh-Mason without putting on glad rags and making the long journey to the Royal Albert Hall. I can't wait so shall go and eat my lunch, then find a shady corner to repot a hydrangea and that's it for today.

See you tomorrow, 

17 comments:

JayCee said...

I hope the Thunder God passes you by so that you can enjoy your music in peace.

Jean Winnipeg said...

Your day sounds wonderful, particularly the evening with the Proms with a glass of sherry and Kitkat.
I was thinking about the proms and as I am overseas not being able to watch, and so I did some reading. I then made a nice discovery that there is an archive of past proms, which means that I can listen to recordings of ones from the past. Not as good as seeing one live on television of course. Enjoy your day, I always enjoy your blog.

thelma said...

Why are Kit Kats so necessary. I am eating the dark chocolate ones at the moment, perhaps because the ratio of chocolate to biscuit, allows us to believe they are not bad for us.

Ellen D. said...

You find joy in your day and that's a wonderful attitude to have, Pat.

Tasker Dunham said...

Sherry and Kit Kat! I'll have one with you, except mine will be a Newcastle Brown and a few squares of dark chocolate.

Barbara Anne said...

Hope the stormy weather stays away but am glad for all in the northern hemisphere to welcome cooler weather!

What delightful plans you have for the day and evening, comfy clothes, lovely music and perfectly topped off by Kit Kats!

Hugs!

Anonymous said...

The thunder god got me last night. No power since he rumbled through. :( Pat in Pennsylvania

The Weaver of Grass said...

Thelma - sometimes I leave them off my order so that I don't start gaining weight. By golly do I miss them - they are back on the next week.

Derek Faulkner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gmv said...

This sounds like a most wonderful day.

Sal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sal said...

I think we’ve had the hottest day of the year, today, in South Devon. How I’d love a downpour, tomorrow! However, I do hope that any severe weather misses your area. Did you enjoy, ‘The Last Night of the Proms’? I’ve had to record it due to my other half watching the rugby so I will have that ‘treat’ tomorrow! 😁

Granny Sue said...

Waiting on thunder and rain here this evening. No sherry or Kit Kats, sadly. Maybe ice cream though.

Joanne Noragon said...

Enjoy your cooler weather, enjoy your sherry and kit kat and your night at the "Royal Albert."

Debby said...

Enjoy your evening!

Cro Magnon said...

I fell asleep downstairs again last night, so missed the Proms. I shall have to watch on iPlayer.

Librarian said...

It reads like a delightful day at your very own pace, Pat.
We had 31C yesterday, and today (Sunday) will be the same. But we‘re off to Austria around lunch time, and up there in the mountains, the air will be a little cooler and fresher.